Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

L46 Zebras

More
13 Oct 2008 23:09 - 13 Oct 2008 23:26 #1 by BJHillson (Brett Hillson)
o I would sooooo love to find some, I remember seeing these 6 years ago and could of got them for 25 pounds each and havnt seent hem since all thanks to the Brazillian ban of exporting :(

If anyone see's some let me know
Last edit: 13 Oct 2008 23:26 by BJHillson (Brett Hillson).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2008 01:28 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
They are not the only fish that are going to get very expensive, Brazil has banned the export now of ALL non-described species, that includes a lot of plecs, a lot of the L numbers, including ones fairly common at the moment like L333 and L066 although at least with these two examples they are much more productive and easier to breed than L046.

Daragh

More
14 Oct 2008 12:22 #3 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
You crazy Pleco fans!! Just kidding, the zebra's are magnificent. Darragh ya lucky thing ya! Just hope the recession doesnt stop us fishkeepers getting our hands on these expensive fish.

Gavin

More
23 Apr 2009 15:53 #4 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Replied by Ian (Anthony Ramirez) on topic Re:L46 Zebras
My colleague had successfully bred the L46...
www.mypalhs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89764

Fishkeeping CV: Co-founded, 1st President of the only surviving Fishkeeping Club (Accredited by Dept. of Fisheries) in the Philippines (mypalhs.com). I have mostly reared tropicals - Arowanas and monster fishes. My oldest arowana is 13years old (died in a tropical storm). Ive since reared a Black,...

More
23 Apr 2009 16:18 #5 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Wow, Thanks for the link Ian.

Extremely clean breeding conditions and the caves being very compact/tight i'm sure are a must to breed the L46.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
23 Apr 2009 20:47 #6 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Peter OB wrote:

Wow, Thanks for the link Ian.

Extremely clean breeding conditions and the caves being very compact/tight i'm sure are a must to breed the L46.

welcome peter I used to have a polkadot but the zebra is one of kind

Fishkeeping CV: Co-founded, 1st President of the only surviving Fishkeeping Club (Accredited by Dept. of Fisheries) in the Philippines (mypalhs.com). I have mostly reared tropicals - Arowanas and monster fishes. My oldest arowana is 13years old (died in a tropical storm). Ive since reared a Black,...

More
23 Apr 2009 22:19 #7 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Interesting reading, could you find out what he feeds the parents and fry with, also the temp, pH, hardness etc etc. It would be valueable information in the future for the few keepers here :cheer:

That fry with the strange pattern, it would be interesting to know if that is a fry from the first batch of a wild caught adult, apparently the first batch of fry from wild adults often contain variable quality fry due the heavy metals and pollution in parents original natural habitat. The second batch is usually fine. In this instance the "differant" fry is interesting, it could have easily been deformed, stunted or weak.

Thanks for posting the link.

Daragh

More
24 Apr 2009 08:47 - 24 Apr 2009 11:48 #8 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Daragh_Owens wrote:

Interesting reading, could you find out what he feeds the parents and fry with, also the temp, pH, hardness etc etc. It would be valueable information in the future for the few keepers here :cheer:

That fry with the strange pattern, it would be interesting to know if that is a fry from the first batch of a wild caught adult, apparently the first batch of fry from wild adults often contain variable quality fry due the heavy metals and pollution in parents original natural habitat. The second batch is usually fine. In this instance the "differant" fry is interesting, it could have easily been deformed, stunted or weak.

Thanks for posting the link.

Daragh

Eric aka "discus" said about feeds - bloodworms, pleco pellets, spirulina tablets, flakes, discus bits, live brine shrimp, CRS pellets and pumpkin. Looks not to heavy maintenance feeding... he kept them like his discus with same water/feed requirements ph is between 6.5 to 7, temp is in the 28c area, water is soft ( source from 3 stages filter). Looks like good to mix with Discus...:cheer:

Last edit: 24 Apr 2009 11:48 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez).

More
25 Apr 2009 00:40 #9 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Yes they are fine with Discus as long as the oxygen level is high. They also prefer a strong flow in the tank.

Along with broken patterns you can also get a few "bull dogs" were the head seems to be short as in the picture below.
As Daragh said this is possibly from the likes of mercury getting in to the water from mining etc.

More
25 Apr 2009 05:25 #10 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Great! If I have a favorite pick among plecs this is going to be it, this is the crossback arowana of plecs dr me cheers

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds