Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Red tailed catfish

More
04 May 2009 20:12 #1 by Trimax (Trimax)
Anyone keep them now or in the past? I have one and yes I know what i'm getting myself into!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2009 20:13 #2 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
What size tank have you got ?

More
04 May 2009 22:15 - 04 May 2009 22:17 #3 by Trimax (Trimax)
At the moment a 400l and a small 2 foot grow out tank. He's in the small tank just a baby . Getting an 800l in the next few months and have several friends with even bigger tanks ( 1 has 3000l!) that said if it gets too big or I change my mind they will take it so i'm covered.
Last edit: 04 May 2009 22:17 by Trimax (Trimax).

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 May 2009 22:24 #4 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Red tailed catfish
I have to see this 3000l tank dude!!!
At least post up some pics!!!

More
04 May 2009 22:29 #5 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Didihno wrote:

great jim I had one from a 2in fry which grew like 2in a month! They're fine with arowana but will eat smaller tankmates like silver dollars

Fishkeeping CV: Co-founded, 1st President of the only surviving Fishkeeping Club (Accredited by Dept. of Fisheries) in the Philippines (mypalhs.com). I have mostly reared tropicals - Arowanas and monster fishes. My oldest arowana is 13years old (died in a tropical storm). Ive since reared a Black,...

More
04 May 2009 22:43 #6 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Didihno wrote:

So you like big tanks Didihno.

In the bottom of the centre of the tank you will see the head of a 2' common pleco. Above that you will see a 2'+ ray, just behind the Arowana.
I forget the volume of the tank but the diementions are hugexhugexhuge.:laugh:

More
04 May 2009 23:27 - 04 May 2009 23:31 #7 by Trimax (Trimax)
Hi Ian , The adult red tail in aquatic village ate the adult silver arowana!!

Platy is that your tank?...droool...

Didihno, I'll get some pics up of the 3000l ;) I'm on a ps3 at the mo will post as soon as I get on the pc
Last edit: 04 May 2009 23:31 by Trimax (Trimax).

More
04 May 2009 23:45 #8 by Trimax (Trimax)
I took this red tail because he was in a petshop in a bad way, was nearly eaten, missing fins and tail. Much better now. I got him free as a charity case pretty much. Was in a tank with snakeheads who were eating it alive.

More
04 May 2009 23:47 - 04 May 2009 23:50 #9 by Trimax (Trimax)
platty252 wrote:

Didihno wrote:

I forget the volume of the tank but the diementions are hugexhugexhuge.:laugh:

What a coincidence.... Those are my dream tank dimensions!!!
Last edit: 04 May 2009 23:50 by Trimax (Trimax).

More
04 May 2009 23:51 #10 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Yeh correct Jim, unfortunately!!!! He also ate one of the 12" breeding pair of oscars!!!!!NEVER underestimate the size and power of big fish......

More
04 May 2009 23:55 - 05 May 2009 00:38 #11 by Trimax (Trimax)
serratus wrote:

Yeh correct Jim, unfortunately!!!! He also ate one of the 12" breeding pair of oscars!!!!!NEVER underestimate the size and power of big fish......

Thats a shame I loved those oscars! I wonder are these fish considered dangerous to man?
Last edit: 05 May 2009 00:38 by Trimax (Trimax).

More
05 May 2009 00:20 #12 by Trimax (Trimax)
Also Drew do you know the a difference between an Asian redtail and a South American redtail?

More
05 May 2009 01:20 #13 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Trimax is that you with your bits hanging out.:laugh: :laugh:
& there's me thinking it was a family friendly site :whistle: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

More
05 May 2009 01:45 #14 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Trimax wrote:

Platy is that your tank?...droool...

No. For some reason i dont think i would get this in to my attic.
This tank used to be in a back garden under a tarpoleum in Blackrock.
It looks thin in the photo but from front to back it's 5-6 feet. some of the Cichlids are 10-15 years old.
I wouldn't mind a tank like this myself. Something to park my boat on. :laugh:

More
05 May 2009 03:45 - 05 May 2009 03:46 #15 by Trimax (Trimax)
platty252 wrote:

& there's me thinking it was a family friendly site :whistle: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LOL :) didnt even cop that!! Thats defiantly NOT me LOL I whipped it from google images !
Last edit: 05 May 2009 03:46 by Trimax (Trimax).

More
05 May 2009 16:14 #16 by tonyizcool (tony scorr)
i had one in a 8 by 3 by 3 with a 3 foot pump sump i used to feed him rainbow trout he was around 2.5 foot and he had a 2 foot gourammi as a freind i had him when he was 2 inch big and my good he cost me a lot as he ate alot of my stock

More
05 May 2009 16:51 - 05 May 2009 17:10 #17 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi Jim, an adult redtail 8-9ft would be well able to eat a human, reports of people going missing in the Amazon in the past!!!!! Asians are hemibagrius wyckoides (mystus nemerus) and are navy blue with a redtail, slimmer build than their SA cousins, get to about 2-3ft have had them in a few times, aggressive to other bottom dwelling species but nice fish!!!!
Last edit: 05 May 2009 17:10 by serratus (Drew Latimer).

More
05 May 2009 17:33 #18 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
hehe the catfish also reguritates its food alot, ie.it eats anything it thinks it can including stones,and even known to eat tank equipment!
Gavin

More
05 May 2009 21:24 - 05 May 2009 21:29 #19 by Trimax (Trimax)
Interesting stuff guys thanks! Drew are red tails usually stunted in ultimate size in captivatey? is your shop red tail finished growing? I can house 4 foot max! Real show fish though They remind me of great white sharks!! I assume the SA red tails are more common and thats what I have.

Do they require veg in their diet or is it better to feed meat only? I feed mine bloodworm and JMC Catfish pellets at the moment. I don't feed it everyday either, maybe 3-4 times a week. I don't want an elephant on my hands!
Last edit: 05 May 2009 21:29 by Trimax (Trimax).

More
05 May 2009 21:41 #20 by Puggy (Fergus Cooke)
Trimax wrote:

platty252 wrote:

LOL :) didnt even cop that!! Thats defiantly NOT me LOL I whipped it from google images !

Trimax, you gotta be careful what you whip up from goole images!

More
05 May 2009 22:23 - 05 May 2009 22:24 #21 by Trimax (Trimax)
Puggy wrote:

Trimax wrote:

platty252 wrote:

Trimax, you gotta be careful what you whip up from goole images!

I'll turn the google safe search filter on next time! Lets keep it PG!
Last edit: 05 May 2009 22:24 by Trimax (Trimax).

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds