Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Id please

More
07 May 2009 01:06 #1 by Xeon (ioan micu)
Id please was created by Xeon (ioan micu)
Does anyone know which pekoltia species this is?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3322/3506405556_bae6fbbebf.jpg?v=0

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2009 01:29 - 07 May 2009 01:36 #2 by Trimax (Trimax)
Replied by Trimax (Trimax) on topic Re:Id please
Hi thats very difficult since allot of Peckoltia look the same and many are not yet formally described, some different L or LDA numbers may be referring to the same fish multiple times! yours looks like L387, L008 or L288 to me but your guess is as good as mine! None of the above as far as I know have been given a species name yet. Lovely plec!
Last edit: 07 May 2009 01:36 by Trimax (Trimax).

More
07 May 2009 12:31 #3 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Yeh very hard to ID plecs....pos L075, L124 known as para plecs....

More
07 May 2009 18:10 #4 by arabu1973 (. .)
Replied by arabu1973 (. .) on topic Re:Id please
After i saw it today i had a look in my L-number book and it looks like L387

More
10 May 2009 02:42 #5 by Xeon (ioan micu)
Replied by Xeon (ioan micu) on topic Re:Id please
Thank you all for your replies. They do look the most like L387.

More
10 May 2009 11:38 #6 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Does not look like L387 to me, check out the photos on Planetcatfish.

I would be more in favour of L124. I have six and that's what I bought them as in the UK. However there are a few other possibilities. The joys of correctly IDing cats!

Daragh

More
10 May 2009 12:42 #7 by arabu1973 (. .)
They are not L124 for sure, L124 have just dots his have stripes on fins and the tail

More
10 May 2009 13:35 #8 by Xeon (ioan micu)
Replied by Xeon (ioan micu) on topic Re:Id please
Can I call him L*** or L xxx ? :)) Any more sugestions welcome.

More
10 May 2009 13:46 #9 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
arabu1973 wrote:

They are not L124 for sure, L124 have just dots his have stripes on fins and the tail

I don't think there is anything "for sure" with IDing a catfish from a single photo without details of catch location (assuming it is not tank bred, which I suspect it is). The spot/stripe issue could be to do with the age of the fish.

Another contender would be L205 - some of the catelog photos for L205 do not look like the fish we are trying to identify but others re remarkably similar.

Based on availability I would favour L124 or L205 however.

Whatever L number they are they seem to be a peaceful species, I have 6 together with some other plecs and there is never any trouble. Even 6 adult bristlenose would fight sometimes!

Daragh

More
10 May 2009 18:35 #10 by arabu1973 (. .)
You are right Daragh, unless we know from what locality were caught, if wild, we wont know the name for them.

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds