Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My Cory Collection

More
08 May 2009 23:38 #1 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
anyone can ID them?:)

Fishkeeping CV: Co-founded, 1st President of the only surviving Fishkeeping Club (Accredited by Dept. of Fisheries) in the Philippines (mypalhs.com). I have mostly reared tropicals - Arowanas and monster fishes. My oldest arowana is 13years old (died in a tropical storm). Ive since reared a Black,...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2009 23:40 #2 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)

Fishkeeping CV: Co-founded, 1st President of the only surviving Fishkeeping Club (Accredited by Dept. of Fisheries) in the Philippines (mypalhs.com). I have mostly reared tropicals - Arowanas and monster fishes. My oldest arowana is 13years old (died in a tropical storm). Ive since reared a Black,...

More
08 May 2009 23:42 #3 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)

whats this one?

More
08 May 2009 23:52 #4 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)

More
09 May 2009 12:01 #5 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Ian wrote:

Sterbai cory.

More
09 May 2009 12:18 #6 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Starting from the top.
From the outside of outside of the tank in!
Corydoras paleatus - Albino cory
Hard to fully see the next one but Im going with corydoras adolfoi.
Bronze cory - corydoras aenus
Sterbai cory.

Pic 2. (The ones with the neons in the background)
I think it looks like the corydoras ambiacus - spotted catfish.(Hard to say though, as it looks similar also to cordoras julii.

The ones in the bag are hard to make out also, maybe corydoras elegans, or julii.

I reckon Darragh is your man for clarification on these Ian!!
Gavin

More
09 May 2009 13:10 - 09 May 2009 13:16 #7 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Ian wrote:
anyone can ID them?:)

From front to back:
Albino C paleatus or possibly C aeneus
C metae - hard to see in the photo but unlikely to be C adolfi or C duplicareus as no orange patch.
C aeneus
C Sterbai

Ian wrote:

Could be any one of twenty different spotted corys, would need a better side on photo to narrow it down and even then, you may need to know where it was caught. It is not C ambiacus as it does not have the black skull cap.

Ian wrote:
whats this one?

C elegans - there are several different forms which may or may not be different species, but it is definitely of the elegans group of corys.

Daragh
Last edit: 09 May 2009 13:16 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens).

More
09 May 2009 15:04 - 09 May 2009 15:06 #8 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
gavin and Daragh you guys are the best! Now I know what are they. From them any holy grails ? Or they're all common?

Last edit: 09 May 2009 15:06 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez).

More
09 May 2009 20:09 #9 by Acara (Dave Walters)
As Daragh says,the one with the nose of a cardinal in top left of pic could be one of many,but try sodalis for a start,especially if you got it in AV(?)they've had/got them in.Bear in mind their pattern can vary a bit too.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
10 May 2009 11:42 #10 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Ian wrote:

gavin and Daragh you guys are the best! Now I know what are they. From them any holy grails ? Or they're all common?

No holy grails, but they are not all always available. It can be hard to get nice C sterbai and they are usually pricey, the rarest is probably the elegans, but it is not "rare" as such.

Daragh

More
10 May 2009 15:30 #11 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Daragh_Owens wrote:

Ian wrote:

thanks Daragh it's great know someone like yourself who knows a lot about cory's

No holy grails, but they are not all always available. It can be hard to get nice C sterbai and they are usually pricey, the rarest is probably the elegans, but it is not "rare" as such.

Daragh

thanks Daragh it's always great to know someone like yourself who knows a lot about cory's

More
18 May 2009 19:01 #12 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Got 4 of these corys from the recent show....any idea what type are they:

More
18 May 2009 19:11 #13 by Acara (Dave Walters)
C.arcuatus,quite possibly.Although I'm aware there is confusion over these and another species,can't think offhand,will have to look around.Daragh will confirm

More
18 May 2009 19:15 #14 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Also C20,C.narcissus,CW036,but think all these have more pointed nose.

More
18 May 2009 19:25 #15 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
yah i think they are skunks?

More
18 May 2009 19:34 #16 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Yep,thats the common name,think 1 0f mine got 2nd in the last show:)

More
18 May 2009 19:37 #17 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Acara wrote:

Yep,thats the common name,thinthanks thank k 1 0f mine got 2nd in the last show:)

thanks acada are they fairly common here?

More
18 May 2009 19:47 #18 by Acara (Dave Walters)
They were quite common a couple of years ago,but dont recall seeing them around much since then.I'm sure they'd be easy enough to order in for the sponsors.

More
18 May 2009 19:48 - 18 May 2009 19:49 #19 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I would agree with Acara that they look like C Acuratus, they could also be Super Acuratus, but only time will tell, the "super" variety grow to about 90mm!

C narcissus is a long nose version, so not these. I love the reason narcissus got their name, it is bad form to name a fish after yourself when describing a fish you leave that to someone else, but apparantly the guy that described narcissus wanted it called after himself but it got the name narcissus instead :-) That'll teach him!

Daragh
Last edit: 18 May 2009 19:49 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens).

More
18 May 2009 20:31 #20 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Daragh_Owens wrote:

I would agree with Acara that they look like C Acuratus, they could also be Super Acuratus, but only time will tell, the "super" variety grow to about 90mm!

C narcissus is a long nose version, so not these. I love the reason narcissus got their name, it is bad form to name a fish after yourself when describing a fish you leave that to someone else, but apparantly the guy that described narcissus wanted it called after himself but it got the name narcissus instead :-) That'll teach him!

Daragh

Thanks again Daragh your spot on as usual with Corys.

heres another pic

More
18 May 2009 20:32 #21 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
close up

More
18 May 2009 21:59 #22 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds