Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Baby Cory

More
20 May 2009 13:25 #1 by serialmatrix (damien carrick)
Still quite the novice at this, having my 54l tank just over a year. But came home a few weeks ago to see eggs around the tank. I didn't intend keeping them as I don't have the equipment or knowledge to take care of them but that seemed to sort itself because when I returned home having been away for a day all eggs were gone. Would they have been sucked through the filter or eaten? Candidates are albino cory, panda cory, rummy-nosed tetras, otocinclus and a German ram.

But within days my dad's tank which I setup for him about 6 months ago had literally one or two eggs visible near the pump. A day later they were gone. But there must have been more behind the pump that weren't visible as over the next couple of weeks we noticed a tiny fry. Over two weeks we spotted more, counting up to 4 now. Two are still very small and the other two seem to be growing nicely. They are peppered cory. Since eggs appeared in both our tanks around the same time would be right in assuming the eggs in mine came from the albino or panda cory?

Just curious as to how common it would be for eggs to hatch themselves in a tank with no help? The tank is 112l and has neon tetras, peppered and bronze corys and some mollies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2009 21:32 #2 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Replied by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe) on topic Re:Baby Cory
congrats on bringing new life to your tanks, they look pristine, i'll let the cory breeders out there answer your comments
Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
21 May 2009 20:13 - 21 May 2009 20:17 #3 by serialmatrix (damien carrick)
The pictures of eggs above are from my tank where non hatched and the fry from my dad's tank where only a few eggs were seen.
Came home this evening to again see my tank full of new eggs - probably more than in the pictures above. Strangely my dad's tank again has just a few. Is that common to have both tanks with eggs the exact same time?
Last edit: 21 May 2009 20:17 by serialmatrix (damien carrick).

More
21 May 2009 20:58 - 21 May 2009 21:00 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Cant stay long, will explain it better later. Basically corys have several things that can trigger them into breeding,barometric drops can make the fish breed, adding cooler water to the tank ie. after a water change perhaps can also trigger the corys into spawning. Most important thing now is to ensure the eggs dont get fungus on them. This can occur in an established tank, if you wish you add some small amount of anti fungus meds but the odds are that the eggs will get eaten by other tank mates anyhow. The parents show no paternal care for the eggs and will eat them also if they get near them. Id advise you set up another tank with the existing water from the main tank. Use a razor blade to get the eggs off the glass or filter and place them into a saucer or something, they will be sticky so are easy enough to get off and will stay in place. Monitor them for a few days and make sure there are none getting any fungus, any ones that do get fungus remove with a set of twizzers.
the filteration you require is only an airstone and maybe sponge. As a makeshift you can pop them into a hatchery that you place inside the tank but they may get out through the slots when they are born.
Finally you will also need to get some microworms ready as the eggs will hatch and seek food. Microworm are best to start the young cory on. Sorry I cant expand at present, rushing with another fish emergency here Im afraid :(

Gavin
Last edit: 21 May 2009 21:00 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner).

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds