Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Corydoras sp. "Black Venezuela"

More
27 May 2009 14:03 #1 by upthedeise (jp molloy)
Hi all

I have recently picked up some of these.

does anyone have any info on them

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2009 19:57 #2 by Acara (Dave Walters)
If they're the ones I saw recently,then I believe they could well be C.venezuelanus,coming from the Rio Apure in Venezuela.
I havnt kept them,but have a look on planetcatfish and scotcat.com,keeping would be the same as most corys.

Nice find by the way.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
27 May 2009 21:42 #3 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
There are two types apparantly, one is from Venezuela, but not directly related to C. venezuelanus athough in the same C aeneus group of corys. C venezuelanus do not grow as big as either the black forms. I have some of the blacks, I got them from the UK fairly recently and they were not in great shape but the are recovering very well. They are a lovely cory and becoming one of my favourites, unfortunately though they are not as lively and active as regular C aeneus.

I will try and get a photo later.

Daragh

More
27 May 2009 21:55 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
These have found there way to Cork lately also, might look at purchasing a few perhaps! Although my bottom feeders are happy at present! Ive some gorgeous plump sterbai corys at the moment. I keep them at a high temp so prob best not to add these ones.
Gavin

More
27 May 2009 22:03 #5 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Fishowner wrote:

These have found there way to Cork lately also, might look at purchasing a few perhaps! Although my bottom feeders are happy at present! Ive some gorgeous plump sterbai corys at the moment. I keep them at a high temp so prob best not to add these ones.
Gavin

C Sterbai are happy at a higher temp than most corys, that's why some discus keepers have them in their tanks, but they are equally happy at 76F and that would suit the blacks too, although I am keeping mine at 72 at the moment.

Daragh

More
27 May 2009 22:33 #6 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Dont know would the blacks like the higher temps ? Ive my sterbai's at a higher temp alright and they are doing fine, the like it. The only other cory in that tank is a panda cory who seems to be doing fine also. I wouldnt add the black to the warmer tank but could keep them at a lower temp in another tank if I was to get them. Im gonna hold off though as Im hoping my bronze will spawn again for me.(kept in the lower temp tank re same!).

Gavin

More
29 May 2009 19:17 #7 by upthedeise (jp molloy)
Thanks all

I have them in quiet a high temp around 27 degrees. They are doing very well and are quiet active.

They dont seem to show any shoaling behaviour at all. Just thought this wa a bit unusual.

More
29 May 2009 23:43 #8 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
27C is a bit high, but I am sure they would adapt. I have them in a tank with just macrobrachium shrimp, so no other corys, and the stick together as a group. They are active at feeding time, but not as lively as regular C aeneus / C paleatus.

Daragh

More
30 May 2009 00:25 #9 by upthedeise (jp molloy)
I realise the temp is pretty high but they are in fine form.

The reason I hhave it high is that I have a pair of breeding angels in the tank and have been told that a higher temp can deter them for eating the eggs. Not sure how much truth is in this. ???

More
30 May 2009 10:49 #10 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Not sure about detering them from eating eggs, but here is another good reason to keep the temp high for breeding angels. Excellent info, I have not had a chance to reply yet, but I will:

www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...w/catid,39/id,52359/

Daragh

More
31 May 2009 22:09 #11 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Here are a few photos:

Daragh

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds