Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

FOOD FOR CATFISH

More
06 Aug 2009 23:39 #1 by Tom (Tom Brecknell)
Just wondering what people feed their catfish, here are a few of the things I feed mine.......

Catfish pellets
Tetra Doromin
Hikari Wafers
Tetra Tabimin
Spirulina flake
Live White Worm
Brine Shrimp - Flake / Frozen

I also feed garden peas about once a week but they can't seem to get the hang of the tin opener.:laugh:

Tom.B)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2009 00:12 - 07 Aug 2009 00:15 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
JML are advertising a handsfree tin opener, maybe that would help :woohoo:

I feed all sorts in no particular order:

Tetra Prima
Tetra Tabimin
Tetra Pleco Tabs
Spiralina flakes and sticks
Earthworm sticks - which is a favourite of many of my corys.
brine shrimp (live)
white worm
cucumber and courgette (can never remember how to spell that!)

The one food I don't use as none of my cats ever ate it is NLS pleco tabs. Always from the rest of the range great, but no takers for the very hard discs for plecs, at least not in my tanks, though I have heard of another fishkeeper that has success with them.

I remember many years ago having a 5 foot tank in the sittingroom full of fancy gold fish and we had a relative visiting, she was fascinated with them and got up to have a closer look and seeing the tub of food at the side of the tank said "...and would they get out and feed themselves?" It took her a few moments to realise what she had said, a few moments too long for me to think she was sane enough to be driving home :S :S :S

Daragh
Last edit: 07 Aug 2009 00:15 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens).

More
08 Aug 2009 10:01 #3 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I feed several different types of flake,depending on what I have at the time.The same with frozen foods,whatever you put in they'll have a go at.I use earthworm flake which is rapidly devoured.Fresh earthworm is savaged too.
Agree with Daragh regarding the NLS H20 Stable Wafers,they wont go near them,only the bigger cichlids take them.Several plecs wont go near them.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
08 Aug 2009 17:25 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I also find the King British Algae wafers arent overly accepted by my fish either.Seems the bigger harder disc type food isnt always a winner in this case! Oh and yes they love pea's, but find hikari sinking wafers good also.
Gavin

More
09 Aug 2009 20:41 #5 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
hi i feed my pleco catfish pellets every few days and he gets bloodworms and flakes same as goldies , im just not sure how much catfish pellets to put in as goldies like it > any advice cheers trhttp://www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/components/com_kunena/template/default_ex/images/english/emoticons/cool.pngish

More
13 Aug 2009 20:57 #6 by Tom (Tom Brecknell)
funkychic wrote:

hi i feed my pleco catfish pellets every few days and he gets bloodworms and flakes same as goldies , im just not sure how much catfish pellets to put in as goldies like it > any advice cheers trhttp://www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/components/com_kunena/template/default_ex/images/english/emoticons/cool.pngish

Could not get your link to work, not sure exactly what you are asking???????????

Sorry for not getting back sooner, busy life and all that...........................

Tried that Tin Opener Daragh but it didn’t last under water for very long, didn’t even open one can.

Thanks for all the info on your catfish feeding habits so far, there must be a few more of you out there with catfish, does anybody else feed any nice to their catfish?

Tom.B)

More
13 Aug 2009 21:15 #7 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Last few days they have been going wild over live mosquito larvae,absolutely loving them!

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
18 Aug 2009 17:00 #8 by Tom (Tom Brecknell)
It's always best if you can give them live food, I give mine White Worm and they love it, but I seen on one of the catfish sites that it's very fatty and should be fed sparingly.

Tom.B)

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds