Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

anyone breeding pleco's out there

More
19 Dec 2009 06:04 #1 by Denis (Denis Goulding)
Hi all,
I have started with as it would seem one of the easier plecos to breed the bristlenose..
I have completed this task and now i am looking for something of similar size that is quite easy to breed.. Any suggestions.
Regards,
Denis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2010 14:11 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I would suggest another Ancistrus or even Peckoltia.

You might find it hard getting pleco's that are sexually mature. A lot of what you see in the shops are to young to breed and quite ofter need to be grown on for a few years before they are mature enough to breed.
I think Ancistrus mature the quickest so maybe try some starlight bristlenose or similar.

More
11 Jan 2010 18:39 #3 by Denis (Denis Goulding)
Thanks for the advice, on batch no. 2 of the bristlenose family.. Good fun, will keep my eyes out for others.Thanks again.
Regards,
Denis

More
12 Jan 2010 09:18 #4 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Hey Denis,

A pal of mine has a pair of full grown bristlenoses. Can you give any advice on what you did to get them to breed?

Cheers,

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
27 Jan 2010 21:48 #5 by Denis (Denis Goulding)
Hi,
Yes no worries
nuetral ph and good clean water...water changes every three days if possible.. Vac every other day. Important keep water clean, Feed plenty of greens, courgettes , cucumber and peas. Also feed carrots once a week. Several caves and at least two pieces of bog oak. Some dither fish like harlequins are good too. Feed at least twice a day with other food such as wafers and blodworm. Ensure all extra food is eaten before ading more. All vegs remove after 2 days and replace with more fresh fod.
Hope all goes well, what size are the bns.. any pics
Regards,
Denis..pm me if u like

More
28 Jan 2010 14:06 #6 by tom3179 (Tomasz Roj)
i have 3 farowella catfishes (around 5-6") and 2 common whiptail catfishes (4", 6"). How big/old they need to be to try breed bk im not sure of age? anyone tried to breed those cats?
Regards
Tom

More
01 Feb 2010 06:44 #7 by Denis (Denis Goulding)
No not yet but the whiptails are on the list

More
14 Feb 2010 23:47 #8 by tom3179 (Tomasz Roj)
this evening i seen, that one of my farowella catfish (slimmer) was on top of other one (round belly).. they spend a long while like this, and later slimmer was moving all the time beside other one. It happend few times in two hours. maybe it is a pair ready for spawn :silly:

More
15 Feb 2010 10:22 #9 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Denis wrote:

Hi,
Yes no worries
nuetral ph and good clean water...water changes every three days if possible.. Vac every other day. Important keep water clean, Feed plenty of greens, courgettes , cucumber and peas. Also feed carrots once a week. Several caves and at least two pieces of bog oak. Some dither fish like harlequins are good too. Feed at least twice a day with other food such as wafers and blodworm. Ensure all extra food is eaten before ading more. All vegs remove after 2 days and replace with more fresh fod.
Hope all goes well, what size are the bns.. any pics
Regards,
Denis..pm me if u like

Just stumbled across this reply now. Thanks for the advice Denis. Will pass it on and ill ask him to post some pics. They are full grown and very ugly :) .

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
14 Apr 2010 01:41 #10 by Denis (Denis Goulding)
u got any pics of them

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds