Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Zebra Pleco Ebay

More
13 Jan 2010 12:50 #1 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
the latest offering from the world of ebay

cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&it...me=ADME:B:SS:IE:1123

watch the price rocket
any opinions on how genuine a "breeding pair" this offer is?

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2010 16:16 - 13 Jan 2010 16:20 #2 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
209 Euros after only 5 bids so far, damn thats pricey. They look a bit small from the pics.
They are def Zebras but as to the sex and weather they are really breeding...fork out, find out. Will be keeping an eye on this.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2010 16:20 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes).

More
13 Jan 2010 20:53 #3 by cardinal (Lar Savage)
€231 at the moment .......those photos look familiar I think I've seen them on Ebay before so I'd wonder about the description of Wild caught as well

More
13 Jan 2010 21:16 #4 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
am i correct in thinkin that the ban on export of this species from brasil is about 5 years old at this stage ????

and if so ... do the fish in the pics not look kinda small for that age ???

More
14 Jan 2010 00:38 #5 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I am curious myself how much they go for.
It is defenitly male (left) and female (right) but weather they are breading or not is another thing.
There is also no guarantee they will breed again.

I think the ban came in late 2004 but some wild caught have come out of Brazil since then. Illegally.
It is hard to tell the size of them from the picture but they are not a big pleco and they mature very slowly.

€232 at the moment. I would expect the price of these to at least double.

More
14 Jan 2010 01:16 #6 by dbarry (david barry)
hi all would a few lads from the form get together and make a good bid to bring this plecos to ireland if breeding ithink it would be agreat idea

More
14 Jan 2010 01:30 #7 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
at 278 now,would probably be a good investment for a breeder,provided they breed again,i'd be up for a couple of the offspring anyway:cheer:

More
15 Jan 2010 22:24 #8 by cardinal (Lar Savage)
Finally went for €499...!

A bit mad if you ask me....:ohmy: :ohmy:

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jan 2010 22:26 #9 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Zebra Pleco Ebay
A BIT mad?, I'd say bloody crazy given what's goin' on in Haiti at the moment.

Kev.

More
15 Jan 2010 23:39 #10 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I wasn't far wrong with my guess;)
Considering you would pay about €100 for a 3-6 month old fry. Raise them for 6 or so years before trying to breed them.
Expensive yes but they can be hard to care for and i'm sure the owner paid enough for them in the first place.

Now anyone want to pay me €499 for 2 zeb's :laugh: :laugh:

More
16 Jan 2010 00:20 #11 by Xeon (ioan micu)
can i pick? :)) :))

More
16 Jan 2010 09:11 #12 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
stretnik wrote:

A BIT mad?, I'd say bloody crazy given what's goin' on in Haiti at the moment.

Kev.

Couldnt agree more bud.

@ Platy...Spot on with the price man, good stuff ;) . So, do you keep these yourself? If so, are they as hard to keep as Ive heard and have you ever got them to breed?

Jay

Life

More
16 Jan 2010 09:35 #13 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
16 Jan 2010 09:39 #14 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Thats it!! Im burning my credit card before I do something stupid :blink:

Jay

Life

More
16 Jan 2010 14:26 #15 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Viperbot wrote:do you keep these yourself? If so, are they as hard to keep as Ive heard and have you ever got them to breed?Jay[/quote]

Yes i keep these. There are also a few other forum members that keep them as well.
They need very clean well oxygenated water and it must be stable. They come from deep in the river Xingu so a deep tank is needed.
Sometimes they can be fussy over food and wont always go looking for food. They wait for it to come to them and can starve.
They are territorial and males fight for dominance.
In the last few years i lost 2. Losses seem to be fairly common.
I haven't bred them (yet) because the one's i have are still to young/small. I think they are about 4-5 years old and it looks like it will be a few more years before they are big enough to breed.

More
16 Jan 2010 22:53 #16 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Impossible to tell from a photo that they are a breeding pair, but if they were I would be surprised at anyone selling them for that money, they wpuld generate at least that amount twice a year.

Hard to tell teh size too from the photos.

Prices are dropping as he fishkeepers that got them just before the ban are now starting to breed them, a year ago I would have expected they would have sold for nearly twice that. They will always maintain a high price due to the maintainance requirements, slow growth rates and a poor reproduction frequency and of course the fact that they are one of the most stunning cats around.

Daragh

More
21 Jan 2010 22:36 #17 by cardinal (Lar Savage)
Hi lads
The "original seller " has yet another pair of "wild caught" zebra plecs up on e-bay......He must be fairly churning them out.....:P :P Price is up to €820 already ..:S :S ....same guy....same pics as before.

REMEMBER NOW.....Keep those credit cards locked away...:laugh:

cgi.ebay.ie/Zebra-Pleco-Wild-Caught-Bree...?hash=item19b95548eb

More
22 Jan 2010 00:37 #18 by tom3179 (Tomasz Roj)
ask him about detail photos and cetrificate of origin and seller will shut up ;) Every fish on ebay seems to be wild caught to get good price. Fish from photo looks little to small for breeding pair :unsure: price is crazy :)

More
22 Jan 2010 01:28 #19 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Its crap like this that gives legit sellers a bad rep. Shamefull.

Jay

Life

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds