Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

The new guy. Male or female?

More
22 Jan 2010 01:53 - 22 Jan 2010 01:57 #1 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Managed to find one of the fish on the wishlist. This is a rather large specimen of the Spotted Royal Plec and is ferocious. From what I was told it was wild caught as are most of the royals for sale. Cant be sure if this is true but Im delighted with it. Im not sure of the sex and I know there are guys here who really know their stuff on exotic L numbers so if anyone could weigh in here it would be appreciated. If the pics arnt good enough Ill get more as was rearranging the tank and it was a bit cloudy. Cheers.

Jay

s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp29/Viperbot/

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2010 01:57 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2010 02:45 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Pretty sure it would be wild caught, I have not read of anyone breeding them.

Can't sex it from those photos, but the males get long whiskers and the females don't.

There are several varieties of Royal, I suspect all very closely related, but I would expect the sex differences to be similar for all of them. They need bogwood in the tank to browse on and they are are a very dirty fish, worse than most other plecs. They don't seem to grow very well in captivity, or at least they grow very very slowly, however in the wild they can be huge, I have seen 15" ones for sale in the UK. Based on the potential size I guess yours has a lot or growing before it will having reproduction on its mind.

Daragh

More
22 Jan 2010 08:28 #3 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
I have had it now for a few days and to be honest he doesnt seem to be as messy as other big plecs Ive kept. Had a gibby a while back, he was about 8 inches and he would destroy the tank with waste overnight. Ill take more pics soon. The new one is about six inches or so and isnt showing any signs of whiskers yet. Should it have some by now if its a male?

Jay

Life

More
23 Jan 2010 01:36 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Royal male with large whiskers
File Attachment:

That's a lovely plec you have there. Any chance of some head shots?

More
23 Jan 2010 14:52 #5 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Hey Platty,

Thanks for the vid. Thats a big one! Heres a few more shots of the royal. It doesnt like the camera and would whip up the sand when trying to get shots of him but there a bit better than the others.

s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp29/Viperbot/

Jay

Life

More
23 Jan 2010 16:13 #6 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Thanks for the extra photo's Jay.
I think only time will tell what sex it is.

More
23 Jan 2010 18:51 #7 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
No probs Platty, thanks for taking the time ;) . You cant make them out in the pics but there are small bristles around the gills and pec fins but nothing like whats on the plec above, however it is only half the size. Like you said, time will tell. Cheers.

Jay

Life

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds