Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Royal Panaque Diet and Health

More
14 Apr 2010 17:19 #1 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)

I got myself a panaque but I want to make sure it eats right. Any tips?

Fishkeeping CV: Co-founded, 1st President of the only surviving Fishkeeping Club (Accredited by Dept. of Fisheries) in the Philippines (mypalhs.com). I have mostly reared tropicals - Arowanas and monster fishes. My oldest arowana is 13years old (died in a tropical storm). Ive since reared a Black,...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2010 17:20 #2 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Here another pic munching on the airhose tube

Fishkeeping CV: Co-founded, 1st President of the only surviving Fishkeeping Club (Accredited by Dept. of Fisheries) in the Philippines (mypalhs.com). I have mostly reared tropicals - Arowanas and monster fishes. My oldest arowana is 13years old (died in a tropical storm). Ive since reared a Black,...

More
14 Apr 2010 17:24 #3 by Acara (Dave Walters)
He's(?) looking very hungry there,bit of a sunken belly.To be honest,I've never seen mine eat,but I fire a good variety of foods into the tank after lights out.Included would be JMC pellets,JBL NOvotabs,Tetra algae wafers,TetraPrima,Tetra Pro crisps,and any other flake or tabs that are around.Also frozen bloodworm,bs,mysis,etc. They do like a lot of bogwood too,softer stuff,not hard West African,mopani,mangrove,etc.
Not much help I'm afraid,but it works for me.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
14 Apr 2010 17:34 #4 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Acara wrote:

He's(?) looking very hungry there,bit of a sunken belly.To be honest,I've never seen mine eat,but I fire a good variety of foods into the tank after lights out.Included would be JMC pellets,JBL NOvotabs,Tetra algae wafers,TetraPrima,Tetra Pro crisps,and any other flake or tabs that are around.Also frozen bloodworm,bs,mysis,etc. They do like a lot of bogwood too,softer stuff,not hard West African,mopani,mangrove,etc.
Not much help I'm afraid,but it works for me.

thanks Acara I have the JMC catfish pellets, have some bloodworms and a bogwood in the tank. Do they feed better lights out?

More
14 Apr 2010 17:42 #5 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I never see it,so presume it does,or I just have a shy oneB)
IME most plecs I have are nocturnal.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
14 Apr 2010 17:54 #6 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Hi Ian,

Ive had a couple of these and and my first was a bit of a bummer. Like yours, he had a bit of a sunken belly and never took to food and unfortunately starved. They are left without food to be shipped as they are very messy and will foul their bags quickly. Usually, when it gets so bad they dont recover. My next one was a Spotted Royal and that one had a voracious appetite and would normally feed just after lights out. He was in much better health when I bought him though. Hope this helps.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
14 Apr 2010 17:55 #7 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Acara wrote:

I never see it,so presume it does,or I just have a shy oneB)
IME most plecs I have are nocturnal.

thanks Acara my other plecs are fine actually with their diets this one is new so not sure if it's a healthy specimen to begin with

More
14 Apr 2010 21:07 #8 by Turner85 (David Turner)
Only purchased one myself a couple of weeks ago. I found through youtube that they love cucumber and mine loves it. I only give him it twice a week just so its not all he eats, Also have pleco vegetable tabs.Not to sure of the brand off by heart but i only ever seen him actually get to one before the other fish get a hold of it.

More
14 Apr 2010 21:27 #9 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
i have 2 of these at home, they go mad on bogwood, bottom of the tank is destroyed by wood shavings, but they are healthy, also go mad on the jbl pleco tabs JBL NOVO PLEC, its the one with wood particles in them, but eat anything i put in and eat regardless of day or night... great fish enjoy, but find they can be delicate when first introduced if you get past the first month or two i found them indestructable.

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
14 Apr 2010 22:27 #10 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Thanks for the insights there. Would it ok to mix them with silver dollars?

More
15 Apr 2010 10:42 #11 by Gavin (Gavin)
yep.same water conditions etc.just make sure that they get fed after lights out. silver dollars have a similar diet (they eat plec tabs as they float down the little beggars!)

dont make me come over there.

More
15 Apr 2010 13:21 #12 by pets and ponds (cees and catherine de snoo murphy)
also important for the panaqe species,and underestimated, is the amount of ballastfood that they require. in nature they find roots to eat.some species eat the planks from boats.we can give them bogwood in our aquariums.actualy,a lot of algae eating fish (loricaridae,plecostomidae,e.g.) need this. regards,cees

More
15 Apr 2010 18:06 #13 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Silver dollars and red hooks are biggest food grabbers :( good suggestions on diet folks

More
15 Apr 2010 18:31 - 15 Apr 2010 18:33 #14 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Dollars will eat everything and i mean everything, spinach leaves, cucumber, peas, broccoli the list goes on, in my tank when i turn the lights off, i wait for about an hour and then drop in the algae wafers in the tank for the plecos and corys so the dollars dont spot them. Dollars grow fast and can be very active. The pleco will also eat all the greens as well. Use these bad boys to stick all yer greens on to..
cgi.ebay.ie/SCREWCUMBER-CLOWN-LOACH-PLEC...564049#ht_3867wt_960

Follow me up to Carlow
Last edit: 15 Apr 2010 18:33 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan).

More
15 Apr 2010 21:29 #15 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
mickdeja wrote:

Dollars will eat everything and i mean everything, spinach leaves, cucumber, peas, broccoli the list goes on, in my tank when i turn the lights off, i wait for about an hour and then drop in the algae wafers in the tank for the plecos and corys so the dollars dont spot them. Dollars grow fast and can be very active. The pleco will also eat all the greens as well. Use these bad boys to stick all yer greens on to..
cgi.ebay.ie/SCREWCUMBER-CLOWN-LOACH-PLEC...564049#ht_3867wt_960

Thank you a cucumber is a great alternative feed for plecs!

More
15 Apr 2010 21:41 #16 by joemc (joe mc)
I have two of these, they will tend to eat any type of food that sinks but they need wood in their diet like all panaques, plus lots of greens and algae.
cucumber,courgette, apple are favourites of my two fish
I read somewhere that a high protien diet is bad for them, they will grow faster but die sooner, I was talking to someone on planet catfish about this, so there is a thread there somewhere it was about their growth rates, .(about one inch a year was the general agreement)
I hope your fish settles in as it is never a good sign to have such a sunken belly! it shows that they have not been eating
they also like a warm temp of about 27-28c

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
15 Apr 2010 22:20 #17 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
Thanks joemc the plec is eating the cucumber now. Finally see a chance!

More
15 Apr 2010 23:08 #18 by joemc (joe mc)
thats great, throw in some wood too. notice how they eat straight through the green skin , not like the bristle noses who pick at the soft flesh!
oh, Iment to say with the apple they seem to ignore it for a day or so and just when Isawy Ibetter take it out they munch it down, you can try carrot and scalded lettuce too, remember that if you don't try it they cna't make the choice to eat it!!!

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
16 Apr 2010 08:05 #19 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
joemc wrote:

thats great, throw in some wood too. notice how they eat straight through the green skin , not like the bristle noses who pick at the soft flesh!
oh, Iment to say with the apple they seem to ignore it for a day or so and just when Isawy Ibetter take it out they munch it down, you can try carrot and scalded lettuce too, remember that if you don't try it they cna't make the choice to eat it!!!

sound! It went straight to the green peel part. I'll try carrot next. Boy all things we try keep our fish healthy:))

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds