Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

pleco for a cichlid tank

More
12 May 2010 17:51 #1 by tippstar (colm norris)
hi all out there

i need a bit of advice again. i have a tangikan setup and i am looking for a pleco that would be suitable for hard water enviroment. i had a common pleco in there but gave it away.

i was looking at something like a royal pleco or something unusual.

any suggestions

thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2010 20:19 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
A Royal Plec wouldn't be suitable for a Tang set up as they need acidic softer water. Have you considered a Syondontis? There are some nice Multipunctatus hybrids around that grow to 10+ inches. They're also pretty active so you'll see them about during the day.

Regards,

Ken.

• scubadim (scubadim)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 May 2010 21:31 #3 by scubadim (scubadim)
Replied by scubadim (scubadim) on topic Re:pleco for a cichlid tank
Hi,
also not the perfect conditions for it in a tanganyikan set-up,rusty plecs(Cochliodon sp.) are my longtime favourites.
Unfortunately very rare in the past few years.they are very active algae eaters!
Another one that presumably can handle high pH is buldog plec(Chaetostoma ...)
that is if you're after an algae eater:)
hope this helps
Dimitri

More
12 May 2010 21:38 #4 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I kept the Rusty plec(L137) Dimitri mentions in a Tang tank,and as he says,the most verocious algae eater I've ever seen.However,I don't think it's a good idea keeping any plec in an African tank,despite a lot of people doing it.It's just not their natural water parameters,and to me,borders on animal cruelty.Mine is now happily in a Sth American biotope.
As Ken suggested,I would look at getting an African catfish,such as a Syno.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
14 May 2010 14:19 #5 by tippstar (colm norris)
thanks for the advice.

i must look into those Multipunctatus. if any of the sponsers have them can they email me.

the reason i want to go back to a pleco is that i got two catfish from my lfs and was told that they would be fine for my setup. i was just told that they were called a common catfish. anyway when i bought them a few months ago they were small around the two inches. since then they have grown to over 6-7 inches and eat nearly all the food that is put in the tank and are the bosses around the place. my juvinile frontosa and others are living off their scraps now.

never had this problem with the pleco.

More
14 May 2010 23:58 - 15 May 2010 00:02 #6 by cardinal (Lar Savage)
hi Tippstar
Just to let you know that multi's are also known as cuckoo cats for their breeding habits ...have a look here at this video (shot by bella) of multi's at work , unsuccessfuly trying to drop in their eggs...

Last edit: 15 May 2010 00:02 by JohnH (John). Reason: Merged two posts into one.

More
15 May 2010 05:39 #7 by Frontosa (Tim kruger)
Nice video ,Bella.When you want to avoid the cuckoo behavior and like the look of the Synodontis go with the S.petricolas.
Regards,Tim

Midlands - in the heart of Ireland.

Keeping and breeding : Frontosa Blue Zaires , Synodontis Petricola , Tropheus Red Rainbow (Kasanga) , Tropheus Moliro . Regulary fry for sale.
Community tank with P.Kribensis and different livebearers.

More
15 May 2010 07:39 #8 by tippstar (colm norris)
i was just wondering that. does the cuckoo behaviour cut down in breeding within the tank

More
15 May 2010 09:58 #9 by Bella (Avril Lane)
Thanks Lar for posting my video :blush:

I find the multis behaviour fascinating to watch. They certainly have not affected breeding in the tank. Although I have heard before Dolphins become disinterested in spawning after a few cuckoo batches?

Hey Tim did I not mention at the meeting I'm banned from getting anymore fish for the moment. ;-)

Killenard, Laois

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds