Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

unusual pleco behaviour

More
21 Jun 2010 15:00 #1 by dar (darren curry)
ok lately my pleco seems to hang around under the filters intake, upright balancing in his fins, it's as though he's grooming himself, could this be a sign of parasite? or has he just developed a new habit

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2010 17:43 #2 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
maybe add a cave or some more wood for him to chill under durin the day.

Follow me up to Carlow

More
22 Jun 2010 00:25 #3 by dar (darren curry)
he has his spot under the wood and is rarely out i have him near 5 yrs but lately he seems to hover under the intake, and now my whiptail jumped out and took a 4foot fall and aint looking to good, water is fine as usual, this is baffling me

More
22 Jun 2010 10:15 #4 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
what is your water temp?

mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
22 Jun 2010 13:38 #5 by dar (darren curry)
26ish my probe only has 20 30 wit a few lines in between but it's in the green, im a wee bit blind but it's definitely not to warm and it's well oxygenated

More
22 Jun 2010 21:08 #6 by Ma (mm mm)
Have you changed anything about? My whiptail n cory catfish are in an open top tank and none have ever jumped out, tho I have heard it is common for them to do so.

There obviously will be more flow under the intake, and prob more oxygen passing its gills which you may want to get a good look at as if it has something up with them it will get a little oxy starved, plecos need a lot. If his normal spot is dark but he moves to the intake you can put an airstone near his usual spot and see if that encourgages it to stay thete, if he does stay near the stone, oxygen or gills could be an issue.

I thought em being up on fins like that is a defensive thing when stressed, seen my rusty do it when gettin picked on by the bigger one.

Mark

Location D.11

More
22 Jun 2010 21:50 - 22 Jun 2010 21:54 #7 by dar (darren curry)
on closer inspection i have an internal side ways a few mm below the surface to combat the crap that lands in the tank the whip tail was probably on this and got jumpy, but i cant say it's a lack of oxygen as ive been running the spray bar from hell that delivers slow tiny bubbles to near every corner of the tank (edit: on and off) and wit the internal busting the surface creating a good ripple all the way along the 5foot of water, i really appriciate the feed back on this lads

Last edit: 22 Jun 2010 21:54 by dar (darren curry).

More
22 Jun 2010 22:06 #8 by Ma (mm mm)
Did you ever notice him aerating with his fins?
If you are concerned you can get a pump and point it at his spot or a stone, just to see if. Otherwise, if it is eating and showing no signs of illness all is probably well with it. Just give it some face time to check it's healthy.

Mark

Location D.11

More
23 Jun 2010 12:59 #9 by dar (darren curry)
now i'm freaked he was tangled up in the plants and wen i reached in he allowed me to remove him and stayed in my hand where as he is the one to scarper wen he sees me, ive had him near 5yr and now i'm totally annoyed (annoyed being the most appropriate word i can use due to kiddies being on) kids log off for 2 seconds please, lol im joking

More
23 Jun 2010 18:55 #10 by dar (darren curry)
NOOOOOOOOOO!!

r.i.p dr.Zoidberg

More
23 Jun 2010 19:26 #11 by dyco619 (steve carmody)
sorry to hear that mate..
i had been following the progress..

More
23 Jun 2010 19:49 #12 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Sorry to hear it went man...

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
23 Jun 2010 22:51 #13 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
No way man, sorry to hear that..........

Follow me up to Carlow

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds