Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

PSEUDOPIMELODUS APURENSIS

• 2poc (2poc)
  • 2poc (2poc)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Jul 2010 12:36 - 07 Jul 2010 12:38 #1 by 2poc (2poc)
PSEUDOPIMELODUS APURENSIS was created by 2poc (2poc)
Did anyone pick up one of these from the longmile road recently?

I had one put aside and picked him up at the weekend. Seriously cool fish, what a mouth!

Mine was one of two left out of eight, quite small which is a pity but beggers can't be choosers.

At the moment he's about 3 inches but about an inch across the head with a mouth the full width of his head.
Has made his home in a coconut cave where he sits upside down on the roof waiting for prey.

I wasn't sure if he was feeding so last night I got a piece of prawn and held it just inside his cave. The force with which it was taken from my hand was crazy... They are serious predators, Des mentioned that he took one himself and it ate 3 paroon sharks during the night.

Pic from scotcat.com (not mine):

What a looker ;)
Last edit: 07 Jul 2010 12:38 by 2poc (2poc).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2010 12:48 #2 by Ma (mm mm)
Thats a handsome fellow indeed.

What size does he get to, looks like he's gonna be a monster:)

Mark

Location D.11

More
07 Jul 2010 12:49 #3 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Looks like something you would see in the old Star Wars movies...me wants :) .

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Jul 2010 12:55 #4 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:PSEUDOPIMELODUS APURENSIS
They get about a foot long, great profile and pics on planet catfish: www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=1525

Really looking forward to seeing this guy grow big, they can be easily trained to hand feed. They are very starwarsy - Des noted that they looked like Jabba the hut :laugh:

More
07 Jul 2010 16:20 #5 by Dan Dan (Danny Murphy)
Thats an absolute beauty of a fish you got. I was in with Des the other week looking at them.
I had to fight with meself to stop me buying one. I've been on the hunt ( with no joy so far ) for its smaller cousin Cephalosilurus fowleri also called Pseudopimelodus fowleri.
The only reason I didn't pick up one of the apurensis was its fully grown size of over 2 feet.
I've done a bit of reaserch on this family of catfish and it seems planetcatfish have the full size too small.
Here's afew links with some info on them,
www.scotcat.com/articles/article94.htm
www.scotcat.com/articles/article102.htm

Best of luck with the fish it really is a beauty,
If you could, in a month or two could you let us know about the growth rate of it.
Cheers Dan.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jul 2010 07:50 #6 by 2poc (2poc)
Those links are great - thanks Dan.

Looks like I'll need a bigger tank :huh:

There was still one left in the shop at the weekend - go on - buy it, you know you want to ;) With unusual fish like this I don't think there would be any problem shifting them if they outgrow their tank.

I will keep tabs on the growth rate & you know how he gets on.

Cheers,
Patrick

More
08 Jul 2010 18:30 #7 by Dan Dan (Danny Murphy)

There was still one left in the shop at the weekend - go on - buy it, you know you want to

Ah the old peer pressure, i love it ha ha:laugh:

Thankfully I haven't been round the longmile this week cos I'd say I would have given in an picked one up.
You never know If they still have one there next time I'm there anything could happen.;)

Dan

More
08 Jul 2010 23:42 #8 by des (des)
what a fish !!
what an appetite, the little fecker, came in the other day and he was in the process of swallowing down a horse face loach
the poor thing (the horse face loach, that is), he had him folded in half, too late for me to intervene
so i moved the pseudopimelodus to a 60 litre on his own before he emptied the 120
impressive little charactor though, strictly on prawns now
i'd say he'll grow very quickly
might add another one to the tank, although i fear that one would eventually eat the other. :dry:
this fish is right up my street and i had an instant admiration for him, especially as he so readily hand feeds and has a similar sort of oldworld ugly cuteness going on, like some of my other personal favourites....

e.g. megalodoras irwini
chaca chaca
pterodoras granulosus
pseudodoras niger
tetranematichthys quadrifilis
liosomadoras oncinus etc. etc.

p.s. hadn't seen the h.f. loach for a while, completely forgot he was in that tank !!! :blush:

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jul 2010 07:56 #9 by 2poc (2poc)
When I was looking at the last two in the shop, one in the cave and one hanging in the corner, as soon as the cave was removed they attacked each other. Viciously too.

I'd like to keep another one too but I reckon if one didn't eat the other he'd kill it...

How big was the one you took home Des?

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds