Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

paroon catfish

More
08 Jul 2010 22:18 #1 by brian (Brian)
paroon catfish was created by brian (Brian)
Hello there

Been looking for a while for a couple of paroon catfish, does anyone have any for sale or know any shops that have them in stock,also looking for tilipia tanganica any size,i would be very grateful for any help.

brian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2010 23:54 #2 by des (des)
Replied by des (des) on topic Re:paroon catfish
howaya Brian

we (Purrrfect Pets, longmile rd., walkinstown) have paroon sharks in at the moment aswell as pangasius sharks, albino pangasius sharks, columbian sharks etc. etc.

Cheers
Des

More
09 Jul 2010 08:26 #3 by brian (Brian)
Replied by brian (Brian) on topic Re:paroon catfish
Thanks Des

whats the size of the paroons and price,could u also please tell me opening hours over the weekend,all the best

Brian

More
09 Jul 2010 10:18 #4 by Gavin (Gavin)
Replied by Gavin (Gavin) on topic Re:paroon catfish
paroons are not a suitable aquarium fish unless you run a public aquarium.

have a look here and think again.

www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?id=635

Totally unsuitable for home aquaria. It's a very active open water species and tends to be skittish when kept in cramped conditions. This can lead to problems with the fish banging into the tank glass and items of decor, often resulting in injury. It's beyond the limits of most public aquaria to house one of these long-term.

In size and weight terms Pangasius sanitwongsei is second only to the giant Mekong catfish, Pangasianodon gigas in the family Pangasiidae, easily qualifying it as one of the largest freshwater fish species in the world.

Alarmingly it's been exported for the trade in quite large numbers in recent years. It's usually seen for sale as a cute silvery 2-3" youngster, most often without adequate information regarding its long term care requirements and potential size. Unfortunately this means it makes it's way into many a beginner's community tank, as it's undeniably attractive when small. The use of common names such as "paroon shark", "hi-fin tiger shark" and "hi-fin" Pangasius don't help the situation, being designed as they are to increase sales. There's also a grossly disfigured 'shortbody/balloon' form that has been produced specifically for the aquarium trade. This grows to a significantly smaller size than the natural fish.

In reality though, the species should not be considered an aquarium subject at all. While Pangasius sanitwongsei rarely reach its maximum size in captivity, it's still easily capable of growing to several feet in length. The myth that fish will only grow to match the size of the tank it's kept in is just that - a myth.

dont make me come over there.

More
09 Jul 2010 15:12 #5 by brian (Brian)
yes i have been interested,learning about paroons for ayear or two now.Hopefully now can give acouple a try.

the tank they would be going in is like a u shape when seen from above, u can sit in the middle with windows in front and to each side.tank holds 1800 gallons plus a 400 gallon filtration system totaling 2200 gallons,the back wall of the tank is about 28 feet long,water is nearly 4 feet deep.hopefully i,ll get to try these impressive fish which i just c,ant get hold of in the north.

brian

More
09 Jul 2010 15:36 #6 by des (des)
Replied by des (des) on topic Re:paroon catfish
PM sent

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jul 2010 16:44 - 09 Jul 2010 16:45 #7 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:paroon catfish
brian wrote:

yes i have been interested,learning about paroons for ayear or two now.Hopefully now can give acouple a try.

the tank they would be going in is like a u shape when seen from above, u can sit in the middle with windows in front and to each side.tank holds 1800 gallons plus a 400 gallon filtration system totaling 2200 gallons,the back wall of the tank is about 28 feet long,water is nearly 4 feet deep.hopefully i,ll get to try these impressive fish which i just c,ant get hold of in the north.

brian

Ah now Brian you can't describe a dream tank like that and expect to get away with it :P

We need a new thread with details and pics etc. Sounds like an amazing project, the like of which has not been seen on here before.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2010 16:45 by 2poc (2poc).

More
09 Jul 2010 21:57 #8 by Denis (Denis Goulding)
Brian u heard the man

More
09 Jul 2010 22:29 #9 by dyco619 (steve carmody)
i second that motion!!
love to see some pics....

More
10 Jul 2010 10:36 #10 by Gavin (Gavin)
I'd really like to see some pictures.

More
10 Jul 2010 11:28 - 10 Jul 2010 12:09 #11 by brian (Brian)
heres pics of the tank,theres a few photoos and couldnt work out another way of doing it.maybesomeone from admin can post pics properly.

anyway tank is made from flat block, cast pillars and lintels right around perimeter,with rebar.19mm thick windows are all nearly 3foot deep ,tank floor another 12" below this.tank is plastered and 2 layers of fiberglass with polyester resin and topcoat.22 big tubes of silicone set the windows in.the 2 filters hold 400 gals between them,one has mechanical,filter wool in half of tank 200liters of static media plus 100s of plastic pot scrubbers.second tank has fluidised k1.filters are fed by 2 airlifts mith pressure chambers,each lift gets 50liters air per min,pumping 5-6000 gals per hour.theres also another airlift at other end of tank with small filter,more for circulation.total circulation about15-18000 gph.filters have their seperate room next door.an oil boiler feeds through one thermostat heating radiators and another thermostat heating a coiled stainless steel pipe in the filter.total system 2200 gals,inhabitants rtc,rtcxtsn,giraffe,marble cats 18"-24",oxydoras niger,rb pacus 18"-20",giant red fin gouramy,cigar barbs, disthodus,24" arowana and various sa cichlids.been goin afew months now without any big problems ,just tuning things.water change isdone constant drip through charcol and overflow to garden.fish seem fairly happy and growing very fast.just need to wear a coat at feeding time.

bye for now brian

www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=99649&id=100001123442335
Last edit: 10 Jul 2010 12:09 by brian (Brian).

More
10 Jul 2010 14:56 #12 by Gavin (Gavin)
that's a mighty impressive set up. Very well done.:ohmy:

More
11 Jul 2010 11:30 #13 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
My god thats a big home tank....more vids and pics please. Thanks for sharin but just back from holidays and this thread is the biggest tank that has been on here, more pics please...

Follow me up to Carlow

More
11 Jul 2010 12:10 #14 by dar (darren curry)
i now know wat i'm asking for christmas, permission to up end the gaff and build something simular

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jul 2010 07:45 #15 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:paroon catfish
Wow, very impressive.. How did the tank come about? Obviously a 20+ foot tank doesn't spring up overnight.. Is it in a basement?

Cheers,
Patrick

More
28 Jul 2010 08:29 #16 by brian (Brian)
the tank is in an old block shed,filter system runs next door into the back of a garage.i kept and worked in a tropical fish shop[wholesalers] 20 odd years ago,but got back into fishkeeping bout 3 years ago.since i first kept fish was always interested in big catfish,so after lots of research plans where drawn.firstly i made 200 annd 300gal framed ply tanks,one was fiberglassed with polyester resin,other with epoxy resin.both where heavily insulated and worked fine.these let me get used to using fiberglass and resin and try out the 4" dia airlifts which work out super efficient.it has worked out great not to much aggression between fish,as they can escape to another part of the tank[less strssed fish].with 20 odd foot swimming space the fish can pick up a terrific speed.a hungry 2 foot redtail cat hammering round the tank i think is an impressive sight.

thanks for your interest
brian

More
28 Jul 2010 08:59 #17 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
brian wrote:

.a hungry 2 foot redtail cat hammering round the tank i think is an impressive sight.

brian

Ditto. Brian you gotta post a vid of these feeding in that setup, which is savage btw.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
28 Jul 2010 10:33 #18 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Vid is a must please, if u cant sort out a video i'm sure one the forum members would gladly volunteer to go around to see and video the tank, heres me volunteerin first on the list..:laugh:

Follow me up to Carlow

More
28 Jul 2010 11:32 - 28 Jul 2010 11:33 #19 by Ma (mm mm)
Replied by Ma (mm mm) on topic Re:paroon catfish
wrong thread sorry

Mark

Location D.11
Last edit: 28 Jul 2010 11:33 by Ma (mm mm).

More
28 Jul 2010 21:53 #20 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
How did I miss this! That is one serious monster tank!Fab. More pics please!
Gavin

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds