Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Panaque L204

More
09 Aug 2010 17:39 #1 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
Hi Folks,
I picked up this little fella at the weekend. One thing I couldnt find out anywhere was whether I should keep him on his own or with a group.

Anyone have views or info on this?

Many Thanks,

Jim.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2010 18:10 #2 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Where did u get it, been looking for female flash plecos for ages, and how much where they, planet catfish has info on these

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
09 Aug 2010 18:20 - 09 Aug 2010 18:30 #3 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
Replied by Jim (Jim Lawlor) on topic Re:Panaque L204
They were €20 on the Longmile Road. Still a few left on Sunday - they're only small though - I dont know if you could sex them yet.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2010 18:30 by Jim (Jim Lawlor).

More
09 Aug 2010 18:23 #4 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Nice looking pleco you have!

I don't have much experience with panaque's(had one clown pleco ones) but I cannot imagine them being much different from other small plecos when it comes to aggression.

As long as you have enough space and hiding places a group should be fine, more caves/hideouts then plecos = good.

One male and two females would prob. be the best, if you are getting more males just make sure that there is enough space for them too create their own territory.

Good luck,

Melander

More
09 Aug 2010 19:58 #5 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:Panaque L204
Jim wrote:

They were €20 on the Longmile Road. Still a few left on Sunday - they're only small though - I dont know if you could sex them yet.

Sadly Jim you're right, far too small for sexing but lovely little Fish, one of my favourite 'L's.
I bought one myself there.
When nearer to being full grown they can become a little cantankerous but we both will have a very long wait for that to come around - if anything they are ever slower growing than L-046 Zebras!
As with all the Panaques, to a lesser or greater degree they like to nibble on wood - mine do, anyway.
And yes, you would be better off with, at the very minimum, two or three.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
09 Aug 2010 20:05 - 09 Aug 2010 20:14 #6 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
Replied by Jim (Jim Lawlor) on topic Re:Panaque L204
Thanks John & Melander - that's the definitive answer I was looking for. Did you leave me any?

Will have to get there before sheag35
Last edit: 09 Aug 2010 20:14 by Jim (Jim Lawlor).

More
09 Aug 2010 22:09 #7 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
i still have 3 of them

i have put in a request for larger females and was told by the supplier they'd do there best:)

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

More
09 Aug 2010 22:13 #8 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Stephen wrote:

i still have 3 of them

i have put in a request for larger females and was told by the supplier they'd do there best:)

That's great if u get them in hold me 3

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
09 Aug 2010 22:20 #9 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
lovely pleco, ye lucky buggers...

Follow me up to Carlow

More
09 Aug 2010 22:48 #10 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:Panaque L204

That's great if u get them in hold me 3

Excuse me...you need to join the queue here - we have them ordered.

No gazumping this time...
B)

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
09 Aug 2010 22:54 #11 by PetCoLongMileRoad (Drew Latimer)
now now lads first come first served :P

only messing but don't get your hopes up just yet as i wont know till wednesday if i got them,
the first 2 will be held for JohnH and Platy252 as they had asked for me at the weekend if i could get some

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds