Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

eggs & fungus

More
25 Aug 2010 23:16 #1 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I have some Hemiloricaria fallax breeding at the moment but the male only looked after the eggs once.
All the other times when i had to artificially keep the eggs they would always fungus.

I have tried putting them in a hatchery with water flowing over them, heavy aeration, Methylene blue, almond leaves, alder cones and putting them in an egg tumbler. But nothing worked.

The fungus comes on within 24 hours and after a couple of days is quite impressive.
I have tried removing the fungused eggs as they appear but it just keeps coming.
Any thoughts on what i could try next?

I was also wondering dose the male release something to protect the eggs when he is fanning them?
The one time he did look after them he wasn't over exerting himself with the fanning and the eggs were fine.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2010 23:31 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:eggs & fungus
A bit of a long shot but I remember Daragh Owens telling me he put Cory eggs in a hatchery with Amano Shrimps in and they kept the eggs active as well as keeping them free from fungus. I also read of someone doing this with L-046 eggs as well - but using Red Cherry Shrimps that time.
Worth a try, I suppose?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
25 Aug 2010 23:33 #3 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hey Darren, as im sure you know, most fish take the eggs in their mouth and "clean them" and of course this does no harm, not sure whether whiptails do but id imagine they may "suck" them gently to remove any detritus etc.... interesting about do the males releasing any "chemical" to clean them...
Hope it works out!!!

More
26 Aug 2010 12:24 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
There's me posting without my thinking cap on.
I used to use shrimp on killi eggs but stopped once i realised the eggs did fine without them.
I will try shrimp the next time around. I know some can get a taste for eggs so i will just keep an eye on them.

serratus wrote:

Hey Darren, as im sure you know, most fish take the eggs in their mouth and "clean them" and of course this does no harm, not sure whether whiptails do but id imagine they may "suck" them gently to remove any detritus etc..

Yes your right Drew they do clean them with there mouth. I was forgetting.
They even help them out of there eggs when hatching using there mouth. Something i have to do with a tweezers or they end up with bent fins.

More
26 Aug 2010 14:23 - 26 Aug 2010 14:23 #5 by Ma (mm mm)
Replied by Ma (mm mm) on topic Re:eggs & fungus
With eggs I had the very same fungus, meth blue ect, nothing helped until I kept them in complete darkenss, no fungus at all. Bronze cory eggs they were.

Mark

Location D.11
Last edit: 26 Aug 2010 14:23 by Ma (mm mm).

More
26 Aug 2010 15:05 #6 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Cheers Mark.
I keep the eggs in the dark in case they are light sensitive. The parents tank also has no light. They just dont like it.

The first time i found eggs in the tank i removed them and placed them in another tank that got plenty of light. It didn't make much difference. I still just managed to raise a couple of young.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds