Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

albino corrys again.

More
26 Aug 2010 17:45 #1 by tina.d (Tina Doyle)
can anyone out there give me info re albino corrys ?

tina.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2010 00:25 #2 by JohnH (John)
Tina,
a] This was moved from Cichlids to Catfish section.
b] Albinism occurs predominantly when too much inbreeding happens, all the dark hues disappear and only base colours remain. Hence the pink eyes and totally colourless bodies.
Albinos of anything are often somewhat less strong than normal varieties and really should not be encouraged, but some people like them (and fair play to them) - this is why the strains are perpetuated - breeders will continually produce anything which are good sellers.
The Albino versions of Corys I have seen are mostly Aeneus, Paleatus and Sterbai but no doubt others will also be available.

They will breed in exactly the same way as their 'normal' cousins.
It's a bit hard to think of anything more to add than that - can anyone add any more?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
27 Aug 2010 00:32 - 27 Aug 2010 00:33 #3 by Ma (mm mm)
Replied by Ma (mm mm) on topic Re:albino corrys again.
I have found Aeneus very handy at dying for apparently no reason. I've had about 20+ over the past year and I ended up with 7 healthy specimens out of the lot. Survivors were from Seahorse btw

Never knew that was why they were albino John, cheers. I was wondering how on earth they would survive being that colour in the wild swimming around looking like a tasty glowing treat:laugh:

Mark

Location D.11
Last edit: 27 Aug 2010 00:33 by Ma (mm mm).

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Aug 2010 00:38 #4 by Alex (Alex)
Replied by Alex (Alex) on topic Re:albino corrys again.
I kept albinos once and they died after a year.... never again. I say stick with the 'normal' types, I'v had a bronze cory for 8 years now!!

More
27 Aug 2010 00:41 - 27 Aug 2010 00:41 #5 by Ma (mm mm)
Replied by Ma (mm mm) on topic Re:albino corrys again.
Alex wrote:

I kept albinos once and they died after a year.... never again. I say stick with the 'normal' types, I'v had a bronze cory for 8 years now!!

Ditto

Had same bronze and peppered in same tanks through all the unexplained Albino deaths, just donated them to my bro for his first tank. Still tickin over.

Mark

Location D.11
Last edit: 27 Aug 2010 00:41 by Ma (mm mm).

More
27 Aug 2010 09:34 #6 by doreilly (Donal O Reilly)
Ditto.

I've had a Bronze Cory since I got back into the hobby in 2007. Hoping it will be with me for another few years yet :)

More
07 Nov 2010 00:47 #7 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Albinos wouldn't normally survive in the wild, as Mark said they'd be a "glowing treat".
I'm sure if read though that if you breed them, they can produce normal coloured fry as this is what they've come from.
This would probably be less or more likely depending how line bred they are.
If you keep picking a certain trait in mates to produce offspring with the same trait, eventually this trait will be dominant in offspring a few generations down the line.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds