Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

mmmmm rat for breakfast

More
22 Nov 2010 17:02 #1 by brian (Brian)
Went out to the fish house this morning,noticed one of the 24" red tail cats looked like it had swallowed a grapefruit.After a head count of other tank inhabitants,nobody missing,i figure it must have eaten the rat i heard on the ceiling a week ago,it must have got in went to get a drink and got nabbed by the rtc.theres no gravel or stones in the tank just big logs and branches.does anybody know if eating a rat would do it any harm?

brian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Nov 2010 17:21 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:mmmmm rat for breakfast
Can't see a problem unless 1, The fish's breathing is affected or 2, The Rat had eaten any poison.

Kev.

More
22 Nov 2010 17:25 #3 by Ma (mm mm)
Hopefully nothing, but I would try to keep the rats out as you can't account for what they bring with them or whare they have been.

handy snack for the catfish non the less:)

Mark

Location D.11

More
22 Nov 2010 17:46 #4 by andrewo (andrew)
You sure it was the rat tho? I wld think those little pests wld be too smart than to venture near the tank let alone be eaten! IF they were so thirsty that they wld plunge to the inside of the tank to drink BEWARE for it may have taken some rat poison :(

All the best.

More
22 Nov 2010 17:51 #5 by brian (Brian)
hes breathing alright,looks like hes looking for dinner.rat probably got in through the filter room door which needs sorting.

brian

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Nov 2010 17:55 #6 by stretnik (stretnik)
How long ago did this happen?

Kev.

More
22 Nov 2010 18:11 #7 by brian (Brian)
it happened this morning,the tank has slipery fiberglassed sides could have slid in.dunno just guessing

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Nov 2010 18:14 - 22 Nov 2010 20:13 #8 by stretnik (stretnik)
I reckon that if there had been any poison it would have started to act by now given the metabolism of the fish and the natural body temperature of the Rat, I'd say it's fine and these type of Fish consume stuff like this in the wild on a regular basis.

Kev.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2010 20:13 by stretnik (stretnik).

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Nov 2010 20:06 #9 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
Replied by wolfsburg (wolfsburg) on topic Re:mmmmm rat for breakfast
brian wrote:

rat probably got in through the filter room door which needs sorting.

Who cares about the rat... you have a filter room door, which means that you have a filter room... a fish house that needs a "filter room" has got to be bad ass!
Can we have some pictures or video(in another thread of course)? :laugh:

More
22 Nov 2010 21:05 #10 by brian (Brian)
pics of filter and tank look under thread for paroon catfish,theres a link to facebook,pics there

brian

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds