Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

EXTREMELY URGENT: otto tangled in net

More
20 Jan 2011 22:55 #1 by joey (joe watson)
when i was moving fish around, i moved a couple of otto's to a very mature shrimp tank, but have them in a breeding net. one of the otto's has its snout tangled in the net its alive just very very stressed. what to do? i didn't know they had spines on their noses but it seems thats what this is. if i pull it off i'd be afraid i'd hurt the fish, if i cut the net it'll stay stuck to the fish

HELP!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2011 23:01 - 20 Jan 2011 23:04 #2 by des (des)
i'd say just leave the net in the water and he'll free himself soon enough
or if it's really bad i'd assist, just be as carefull as you can and try to help him free himself
i'm not 100% on this, they are a tiny fish, very delicate
this suggestion is more so talking about bristle noses
if it was a pim pictus, it'd be a pain in the arse, they can get ritely stuck in nets...

hope this helps
Last edit: 20 Jan 2011 23:04 by des (des).

More
20 Jan 2011 23:07 #3 by joey (joe watson)
i dont know how long he's been in there, i'll have a go at untangling him if i have no joy i'll see how he is in the morning

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Jan 2011 23:18 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: EXTREMELY URGENT: otto tangled in net
That's what I'd do, a note, use small plastic bags when catching or transfering any of the smaller Catfish Family.

Kev.

More
20 Jan 2011 23:18 #5 by joey (joe watson)
phew! all done, thread can be deleted.
held him by the head, pulling back slightly and kept cuttin thread by thread till with a razor blade till he came free. no net left on him, dont know about wether or not i scratched him but dosed some myxazin to help him heal. was bricking it there for a while, poor little fekker he's the smallest one too.

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Jan 2011 23:20 #6 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
Replied by wolfsburg (wolfsburg) on topic Re: EXTREMELY URGENT: otto tangled in net
This has happened to me loads of times before, otos a quite hard little things and can take a fair bit of pressure... They aren't "squidgy" for want of a better word.
Just calmly pinch off the netting and it will be fine. Better off freeing him I would say... more stress, but for a shorter period.

More
20 Jan 2011 23:36 - 20 Jan 2011 23:38 #7 by des (des)

i'd say just leave the net in the water and he'll free himself soon enough
or if it's really bad i'd assist, just be as carefull as you can and try to help him free himself
i'm not 100% on this, they are a tiny fish, very delicate
this suggestion is more so talking about bristle noses
if it was a pim pictus, it'd be a pain in the arse, they can get ritely stuck in nets...

hope this helps

ahh, i didn't see the whole breeding net thing
i thaught he was stuck in a normal net, not a breeding net...

anyway, glad you got him out :)
Last edit: 20 Jan 2011 23:38 by des (des).

More
21 Jan 2011 12:50 #8 by joey (joe watson)
when i was holding his head, it was really firm thought i'd pop him at one stage. anyway i've moved them into a plastic fry trap now so it wont happen again. i cant let them off into the tank really as i'm only holding them there till the new tank is matured

More
21 Jan 2011 13:08 #9 by Ma (mm mm)
A real pain, have had quite a few fish get caught in nets.

I have always got them out by pulling bits of net in the same direction the barbs are going in. Plecos mostly get caught by the barbs about their gills so gently pulling the net sideways on either side of their gills almost always releases them no problem

Not sure which way the barbs go on an otto but the same priciple applies when they get snagged, tricky with a small fish though.

You may just have to pull the net sideways on either side of the snag.

Mark

Location D.11

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds