Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

one cat too many !!

More
25 Jan 2011 20:03 - 26 Jan 2011 20:29 #1 by des (des)
ok, so i got this fish

it might have been a bit of a mistake
...a bit of an impulse buy...
not exactly sure what he is ?
a mystus of some sort, like maybe an albino asian redtailed cat or (hopefully not) a wyckii or similar ?
anyway he is beeing an awfull bully ever since i put him in the tank
there are plenty of hiding places but he is happy with none
it's a pity because he is a fine fish and really stands out against the wood etc. etc.
hopefully he settles down and all will be well
a second opinion on the i.d. would be very helpfull and much appreciated or any other suggestions/ advice is also welcome...

Des
Last edit: 26 Jan 2011 20:29 by des (des).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2011 20:28 #2 by Ieva star (Ieva Fogta)
very nice cat Des when did u get him

More
25 Jan 2011 20:41 #3 by des (des)
Replied by des (des) on topic Re: one cat too many !!
just got him today
lovely fish
i'm keeping an eye on him
he seems to have chilled out
hopefully he'll be happy enough and settle in well
or i'll get no sleep tonight...

More
25 Jan 2011 20:42 #4 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi Des you madman you.. hahaa you went for him then.. nice fish i still reckon its an albino Hemibagrus nemurus most likely anyway, common enough hope for your fishes sake its not a wyckii..... ive never heard of any albinos and if it was i would say all your fish would be killed!! and asian redtail albino would most likely still have a redtail...

More
25 Jan 2011 20:43 #5 by Ieva star (Ieva Fogta)
Did u get an id on him

More
25 Jan 2011 20:51 #6 by des (des)
albino Hemibagrus nemurus

i'm impressed Drew
that's defonitely him
fairplay to Ya
so, do You think I'll get away with him in the tank ?
I'll stick up some info, like a list of his tankmates etc. etc. if that helps ?

Des
Attachments:

More
25 Jan 2011 20:56 #7 by Ieva star (Ieva Fogta)
best of luck with him a cracker RS Johney

More
25 Jan 2011 20:59 #8 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Well you have still a bit of a beast there.. be it not a wyckii or wyckoides (redtail) id keep any eye on him.. how bigs the tank whats in with him etc.... you appear to have alot of catfish so he will want territory and if he cant evict inhabitants it may kill them... just hope it settles in a cave and is happy there...

More
25 Jan 2011 21:11 #9 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Very impressive cat, best of luck with him.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
25 Jan 2011 21:23 - 25 Jan 2011 21:31 #10 by des (des)
just found this on Planet Catfish

Compatibility - An aggressive loner. As with other Hemibagrus specis, very intolerant of other fish inhabiting the same tank. What it cannot eat, it will kill out of spite

s**t, spose i should've known but i couldn't resist
I'll give him a chance, for tonight anyway...

600 litre tank, 2 externals, 2 internals & uv sterilizer
loads of bogwood everywhere
tankmates - arowana 14", knifefish 11", lima shovelnose 12", syno decorus 10", polypterus 8", uaru 6",
niger 10", fire eel 7", pea cock eel 8", striped talker 8", striped talker 7", pteradoras granulosis 9",
megladoras irwini 11", paroon shark 5", aluminium cat 6" x2, bristle nose 5" x2, mottled cat 7"
chocolate dora 5" and some sort of arius cat 5" + oh yeah and the Hemibagrus, he's a good 9" or so...

seems like a lot now that i look at it, all the levels are perfect but i suppose space might start beeing an issue... (usual story, but there was no fighting or anything untill i added this lad today)
Last edit: 25 Jan 2011 21:31 by des (des).

More
25 Jan 2011 22:05 #11 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
wow most of them are lower level inhabitants and not too aggressive.... nothing there thats going to cause it any trouble if it gets nasty... tanks a good size so thats good, can you add any tubes etc for shelter? just keep an eye on him and be prepared to move him.. they can reach 2ft odd.... look up on youtube "why i dont have tankmates" and be thankful you dont have one of these...:evil:

More
25 Jan 2011 22:23 - 26 Jan 2011 11:59 #12 by des (des)
yeah, i checked out that vid, the wyckii is a monster alright, lovely looking fish though
the white trim is cool looking

i'll add a few more bits n' bobs to the tank to up the hiding places
i know he gets massive, i'll worry about that later
he is a lovely fish, i'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the moment
hope it works out...
Last edit: 26 Jan 2011 11:59 by des (des).

More
26 Jan 2011 12:09 - 26 Jan 2011 12:46 #13 by des (des)
no fatalities over night anyway, he finally seems content with his new home
the initial introduction to the tank was a bit of a disaster
there is a couple of scapes n' scratches on some other fish in the tank but they seemed to have sorted out the ranking order by now, there's almost always a bit of mayhem when a new big cat is added but so far, so good
you never really know what's going to happen when you house such fish together...

Des
Last edit: 26 Jan 2011 12:46 by des (des).

More
26 Jan 2011 12:36 #14 by Ieva star (Ieva Fogta)
Good to hear Des get some sleep now rs Johney

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Jan 2011 12:47 #15 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re: one cat too many !!
They had a load of these in petmania last year Des. Wasn't sure what they were myself. They put them in with a load of cories. You can guess the rest...

More
26 Jan 2011 12:52 #16 by des (des)

They had a load of these in petmania last year Des. Wasn't sure what they were myself. They put them in with a load of cories. You can guess the rest...

:huh:
poor Cories :unsure:

More
26 Jan 2011 16:13 #17 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hey Des good to hear they lasted the night, long may it continue!!! Did you bring up this (i think) Liearus mamoratus and tyretracks????

More
26 Jan 2011 16:46 #18 by des (des)

Hey Des good to hear they lasted the night, long may it continue!!! Did you bring up this (i think) Liearus mamoratus and tyretracks????

i did indeed, whoppers aren't they ?
the cat is some sort of pseudoplatystoma sp., a fine specimen, i could never properly i.d. him...
i had a leiarius marmoratus before, back when i had the redtail cat, a mentaler of a fish, drove to galway to get him...

got a few new additions today aswell:
eel catfish 10", african green crabs x2, cobolt blue lobster, tatia marmoratus x2

just finished drip feeding them all into the tanks, the lobster is a cracker

Des

More
26 Jan 2011 17:32 #19 by brian (Brian)
nice looking asian redtail,never seen one in the flesh.got any pics of the eel catfish where did u pic it up

More
26 Jan 2011 18:20 #20 by des (des)
hi Brian

no pix of the eel catfish just yet, I'll get snapping
i got him in Purrrfect Pets, he's much bigger than i was expecting, cheap aswell...

i'd love an albino one

Des

More
26 Jan 2011 19:52 #21 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
hi Des are the eelcats channallabes apus??? look bit like elongated clarias.....

More
26 Jan 2011 20:27 - 26 Jan 2011 20:28 #22 by des (des)

hi Des are the eelcats channallabes apus??? look bit like elongated clarias.....

yeah
that's the one
Last edit: 26 Jan 2011 20:28 by des (des).

More
26 Jan 2011 21:16 #23 by des (des)
i'll be bringing the Hemibagrus nemurus back to the shop
he's a bloody nightmare, enough is enough
nothing is working with him, doesn't matter how many hiding places are provided etc. etc.
chasing everything around, even the arowana, trying to eat the airstones, banging them off the glass
pushing the internal filters around, he's after giving the decorus an awfull hiding, he's at the lima...

what a horrible natured fish
absolute nightmare :angry:

More
26 Jan 2011 22:06 #24 by Ma (mm mm)
Replied by Ma (mm mm) on topic Re: one cat too many !!
Better off Des, especially when you were sold it as something else not destructive.

I'd give the seller a slap in the face with the thing. That decora you have held its own against a humpy panaque but he was having none of that thing you got there. Isolate & Crate it back to the shop.

Hard luck matey, maybe time to go to another shop tbh.

Good luck matey

mark

Location D.11

More
28 Jan 2011 00:41 #25 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)

Better off Des, especially when you were sold it as something else not destructive.

I'd give the seller a slap in the face with the thing. That decora you have held its own against a humpy panaque but he was having none of that thing you got there. Isolate & Crate it back to the shop.

Hard luck matey, maybe time to go to another shop tbh.

Good luck matey

mark

Mark why do you assume he was sold it as something else and that it was non destructive?
You make it sound like he was coned in to buying the fish. Far from it.

To suggest he go slap someone in the face because the fish didn't work out is ridiculous.
Maybe you should think before you type.

Darren.

More
28 Jan 2011 14:02 #26 by Ma (mm mm)
Replied by Ma (mm mm) on topic Re: one cat too many !!
@Darren

I assumed pretty much everything when I posted, as you now assume I am actually directly speaking to any individual, lots of people get sold the wrong fish and I just shared my annoyance when someone gets a fish that attacks their others, I wasn't speaking to anyone.

Thought I was posting at a a nameless lfs and seller, never thought I'd be p*ssin off a forum member, and I would hardly take out a fish and slap anyone with it either, just a replacement for "I wouldnt be happy with the lfs". I just read the post and added my 2 inaccurate cents as per usual:)

Mark

Location D.11

More
28 Jan 2011 14:26 - 28 Jan 2011 14:35 #27 by des (des)
rite lads, think it's time to call it a day on this topic
i bought a fish, it didn't work out, these things happen...
i shouldn't of been moaning about the fish on the forum in the first place
i was very happy with the fish when i got him but unfortunately his level of aggression is a little too high for his intended tankmates
i have returned the fish to the shop and i'm sure he'll go to a good home
the best of luck to whoever buys him, i'd love to be able to house him, he's a stunning looking fish and a fine big specimen at that...

Des
Last edit: 28 Jan 2011 14:35 by des (des).

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds