Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

urgent help

More
01 Feb 2011 23:17 #1 by chollcham (Mich Man)
hi,

i did a 50 per cent water change of my cichlid tank on friday. i always do a 50 per cent water change. among my cichlids, i have 5 synodontis catfish, at lunch time today, one had died, now 3 others are dead, what can i do to save the last one. all the cichlids appear healthy. i have the synodontis catfish are about 1 year old, maybe longer. any advice????????????

thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2011 23:25 #2 by andrewo (andrew)
Replied by andrewo (andrew) on topic Re: urgent help
50% change but how often? seems a lot of water to be changed; normally its 10-25% per week/2weeks. I think most likely your water parameters gone totally; drop by to a nearest spnsor and have it checked...sry bout your losses :(

p.s. im sure the sponsors wld look after your last fish for the time being

More
02 Feb 2011 08:47 #3 by Gavin (Gavin)
Replied by Gavin (Gavin) on topic Re: urgent help

hi,

i did a 50 per cent water change of my cichlid tank on friday. i always do a 50 per cent water change. among my cichlids, i have 5 synodontis catfish, at lunch time today, one had died, now 3 others are dead, what can i do to save the last one. all the cichlids appear healthy. i have the synodontis catfish are about 1 year old, maybe longer. any advice????????????

thanks

any idea what your water perameters are?If you are not testing you should buy a tets kit and check.

dont make me come over there.

More
03 Feb 2011 01:45 #4 by chollcham (Mich Man)

50% change but how often? seems a lot of water to be changed; normally its 10-25% per week/2weeks. I think most likely your water parameters gone totally; drop by to a nearest spnsor and have it checked...sry bout your losses :(

p.s. im sure the sponsors wld look after your last fish for the time being

thanks for reply, i do a 50% water change every 3 weeks, i know it seems a bit much but for the last two years ive had healthy fish with no notable problems. all the cichlids are healthy in appearance, one of the catfish is still there. my bet its the water parameters but i have two other ideas

1. could it be illness? its strange that they all died same day?
2. last night i was thinking about this, it a bit out there, but last weekend i was on the beer and knocked over a big picture and the glass smashed all over the floor. i stupidly put glass in the bucket that i use to fill up tank(i usually it for nothing else). i would of washed it over after, could tiny glass shards maybe be in water and catfish ingested it seeing as there bottom feeders?

More
03 Feb 2011 01:48 #5 by chollcham (Mich Man)
[/quote]any idea what your water perameters are?If you are not testing you should buy a tets kit and check.[/quote]

i really should buy a water testing kit but ive always had what i thought were healthy fish so never really saw the point, thanks again, ill get test kit at weekend.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds