Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Interesting project!

More
03 May 2012 09:18 #1 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
::)

One of long-term customers and yes i do have customers that come back more than once. One of these guys came up to me yesterday and asked me to help him build his new aquarium. Nothing unusual here you may say to yourself. Well why would I be writing about it if there were nothing unusual about this? I will give you a hint he has a Red Tailed Catfish…

You see there are real people out there with passion and there are responsible people out there willing to go that tiny bit further for the love they have for aquatics. This guy wants to build an extension onto his house ie 15 feet by 6 feet by 6 feet which will be approx 15,000 litres…..some body out there has just said wow to themselves am I right….i reckon there’s a few saying the lucky basket! My wife wont even let me get a 54-litre upgrade for our goldfish.

Well I was excited to say the least we talked and joked for 2 hours and went through a hole load of scenarios I showed him stuff on monster fish keeping and he’s got himself a budget of around 10 k together….i really admire guys like this because this is how I started off….the madness of it all is intoxicating I cant wait to see how this runs its course I hope he goes ahead he seems totally up for it…big predator tank you rock and for the god of predators your minions here on earth are hard at work trust me if business picks up Aquatic Village intends to start our own predator project with a 50,000 litre tank but we will see how things go. I will keep u all up to date on this little story…..the pressures on..
J

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2012 10:21 #2 by Aquaman (Brian Gillick)
That sounds AMAZING!
It would be really cool to have a step by step photo diary of the project as it unfolds :)

100L 2 Foot Betta Aquarium & Cabinet For Sale:
www.adverts.ie/pet-accessories/100l-aqua...-accessories/2240157

More
03 May 2012 11:10 #3 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
lol lucky basket is right, mine wouldnt let me do that, deffo want progress picks and a good write up on this.... wouldnt be davey would it???

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
03 May 2012 13:42 #4 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Sounds like an excellent project Ian. Keep us posted on the development of that project!
Definitely a lucky basket :) want to see the trouble I had getting a 180l into the house, not to mention that I had to discard the stand it came with and build a monster cabinet for the tank, a TV and the kids Wii and all their junk too :ohmy:
Tank, stand and lots of extras - less than €100, cabinet to put the tank on - €750 and some fish keepers wonder why the rest of us glare at them with green eyes :whistle:

Do you have any solid plans yet for your own Monster tank? I spoke to you before about your plans, can’t wait to see that monster in the flesh :)

More
03 May 2012 14:33 #5 by SouthAfricanInIreland (Ryan Dokter)
Well I for one hope and pray that this project be documented with plenty of picture by picture progress report on this forum :cheer:

More
03 May 2012 15:27 #6 by davey_c (dave clarke)
:lol: ... na shea, unfortunately not me yet but i am 1 of the fortunate ones where the better half has a love for huge fish to and is on my back to start soon... i have the foundations of a garage that never progressed to work off but a smaller build will be 1st for practice ;)

cool iano, can't wait to see to progress and updates ;)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
03 May 2012 22:38 #7 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
ian if u could taken a photo diary off this would be great it is also unreal to see something like this being done and even better when it is on here in a step by step thanks mate

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
04 May 2012 07:19 #8 by brian (Brian)
15000 that would be a, good size for rtc and friends.any design sorted out for the tank,what type of structure ,materials,filter system ?

More
04 May 2012 08:30 #9 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
....Well its at the design stages at the moment.Basically he is planning on building it to the side of his house then knocking through two viewing windows. So in reality there will be a chimney brest in the centre but either side would be approximately two six by 4ft windows.As for filtration we have been mulling it over but i suggested an undergravel type system modular in design.Basically a deep gravel bed that cannot be dug out by big cats.Under the gravel bed there would be a system of drains for back flushing the gravel for cleaning.An under water modular system for heating so this would allow for even dissapation plus the thermal lifts would help water movement.Undergravel system would be linked to two 60,000 litre pressure filters so in effect they would polish the water the system will be driven by 2 x 20,000 lph pumps. Airation will be provided by a ring main driven by two koi airpumps.The main can be drilled for effect to suit the viewing windows.The tank will be built using mass reinforced concrete and insulated.I suggested fiberglassing the interior. The heating system will probably be a mix of solar and oil fired with a heat exhanger but we will see. Lighting will probably be led. The interior will be Amazonia and built after pressure testing i guess.

MMMM there's a lot involved here so he's gone to mull over it.On the basis that he uses a lot of friend labour he has a budget of around 10 k so i think it will be tight but it should be possible i can get him all the right gear at the right price.So that will save him a bundle....

:)

More
04 May 2012 12:26 #10 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
BLOOMIN HECK THAT SOUNDS IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!
Ian get your camera out and get this photographed from the start to finish, heck if i win the lotto i want to know what i'll be getting when i do the same :) really you'd be mad not to chronicle this it sounds amazing ;)

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds