Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

The Irish times contacted me !

More
14 Sep 2012 19:59 #1 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Today a reporter from the Irish times contacted me about the 3000 tropical fish left to die at Dublin airport.I was a bit shocked to be honest she asked me did i want to talk about it.....i told her if i did then the Dept of Agriculture would probably hunt me down and i would be put out of business......and then i thought for a second.....if i truely believe in animal welfare and if i truly loved my hobby then i should speak out and say something regardless of the consequences.....too many of us hold our tongue for fear of reprecussions....people know me for what i am....i can't make excuses for how i feel and act....i really love what i do and i spent two months organising these animals and what was done to them was wrong on so many levels....so i said what the hell.....my father told me to stand up for what i believe in so i told her the truth.......

Oh my god what have i done.....but someone has to take a stand against what is happening to our country we have lost what it is to be Irish.....i still remember though and i am proud of what i have achieved and what it is i do for a living....

Thank for reading this!
IAn

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2012 20:21 #2 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
If the dept feels they have done the right thing, let them answer for it in public.

Well done for having the courage.

Get that reporter on speed dial if you are victimised by any dept.

Dec

More
14 Sep 2012 20:38 #3 by BodnFiona (fiona ward)
sad,sorry story, it would be intersting to find out what exactly happened the contents, i assume like contraband the poor fishys after their horrid death would be incinertated,,but what about the water ,,?? It would be an interesting angle to follow as they were so worried about contamination and infectious disease ,, etc

More
14 Sep 2012 21:06 #4 by johnportman (John Clarke)
Good man Ian for speaking out about it. Everyone will know what happened to the fish now.
We are all passionate about the hobby and what happened to them fish is a f***ing shame.

John

More
14 Sep 2012 21:23 #5 by Oto (Ed)
Keep us informed if they do write anything. I was sorry to hear of what happened. Truly sickening

More
14 Sep 2012 21:25 #6 by JohnH (John)
Good man Ian, this bureaucracy needs to be unmasked!

I wonder if that was a consignment of something cuddly like puppies or kittens - would they too be euthanised?

What sort of world are we living in, for Christ's sake???

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Sep 2012 21:49 - 14 Sep 2012 21:51 #7 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic The Irish times contacted me !
Ian,

There were enough People vilifying Wackers and rightly so, over the treatment of Dogs etc, let us see if they are still as opposed to the mistreatment of Animals and show their true colours, this behaviour by Government bodies should not be allowed to go unpunished or unpublished. This wonderful country of ours is going down the Pan BIG TIME !
those at the helm are the most incompetent bunch of asses, lazy Bastards, offloading all responsibilities to Europe, a place full of over paid paper pushers that have nothing better to do other than complicate things and interfere in systems and cultures. I hate European Governance.

Kev
Last edit: 14 Sep 2012 21:51 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
14 Sep 2012 22:12 #8 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Fair play Ian glad you stepped up

I have being reading this closely and i have a lot to say but if i said it all here then i would be gone :laugh: :laugh:

This really is a joke and i hope a lot off bad news comes there way when this gets in the papers

Please keep us all posted when something is wrote up and we can all have a look at it

Also if you want anything done on the forum to try put this out there even more please let me know and we can come up with something

Really is a disgrace

Thanks Ian

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
14 Sep 2012 22:27 #9 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
I feel awful for you Ian & all @ Aquatic Village, we know how hard you work for our hobby and for the furtherance of keeping all fish - this is a terrible indictment of the misplaced responsibility & decisions of public servants.

public servants - that's a paradox!!

I found this PDF on the agriculture website about closing the "Other species" inspection post at Dublin & Shannon - the OPW couldn't afford to upgrade facilities

www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/a...rderinspectionposts/

How can we bring this to wider public attention?

Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
14 Sep 2012 22:36 #10 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
@ian......by being in contact with the newspapers you have done nothing wrong.

On the contrary, and irrespective of EU sillyness and ROI having wagging tales like lap-dogs, you have the right to say your piece in public; the people have the right to know about yet more EU rubbish.

No government agency should then have any right to step up any unfairness or other inequality unto you over you making the pubic aware of the act.

I would say that any unfair treatment of you (or AV) taken by the 'powers that be' in view of you not doing anything wrong yourself would be paramount to those actions of a police-state.

As for a public statement from those responsible for directing such actions, they should make a public statement that goes way beyond a simplistic "following protocol and procedures" (etc etc) and address the full deliberative processes taken to come to their decision (names, places, sign-offs) AND to give a full account of how the fish and their containing water were disposed of.

And that is the minimum they should do.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
15 Sep 2012 08:21 #11 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Good man Ian having the Balls to stand up and be counted, let us know when it goes to print, hell even start an online petition on the Aquatic Village site so every member here can sign it, do one for the other fish forum as well, sorry you got f'ed over on this one mate, but keep on fighting the good fight for the betterment of this country and it antiquated ways, can't see them doing this to horses but then again the people in the right circles have horses so it'd never happen

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds