Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Funny true story!

More
15 Nov 2012 10:20 #1 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Yo everyone believe it or not this actually happened the other day at Aquatic Village. It was so funny I decided to add it to my face book page so you guys can have a bit of a laugh.

I received a letter from the Vat man last week. Like all businesses we are up against it at the moment but we have always paid our dues. Well anyway in this letter the Vat man actually asked me to write him a letter and in that letter I was to explain to him in my own words why he should let me stay in business……can you actually believe this? I was gob smacked the cheek of him what the hell is happening to this country.

Well anyway I answered his letter.

Now the other day I was speaking to a lady and a geezer in the shop. The lady was a business woman herself and her husband dutifully stood beside her and listened whilst we chatted. He had a bored look on his face he was obviously going through the motions whilst me and her ranted about the system. Then I mentioned the letter from the Vat man. She was shocked. She could not believe her ears. I was in rant heaven until I noticed her husband make weird facial movements. He actually became a facial anomaly…his jaw dropped and his eyes widened like a child finding a stash of chocolate. I let this pass I hoped he wasn’t a special needs sort of guy…anyway I continued my rant but he kept grabbing my attention…. so I stopped and asked him if he was ok cause he was starting to bug me…….can you believe what he said next.? I mean this actually happened I am not lying…….He said to me ‘I cant believe you got a letter from Batman’

I shat myself…figuratively speaking…..yes he thought I got a letter from Batman. his wife just looked at him but I thought this was brilliant….that was sheer funny….I wish I had a vid cam…..

Ah yes without these moments I would give up and lay down…..

Cheers
IAn
The topic has been locked.
  • stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2012 11:05 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Funny true story!
Ian, I am not trying to be a Prick here, while this is funny, a copy of this Letter should be sent, by you, to the press to show what stupidity abounds in Ireland, your provision of employment, payment of Tax and Water charges should be sufficient. This is like an exam at School! I never heard ANYTHING so stupid in my Life and if you don't choose to make a fuss over this I'll be very disappointed.

Kev .
More
15 Nov 2012 12:07 #3 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Why should he let you stay in business!!!!!!! is he serious??? maybe its because you provide employment, revenue for him and the country, pay rates, provide subsidiary employment and revenue through transport costs of fish, airport jobs in shipping of the same etc etc. I'm with Kev on this one use the media, press, radio etc to highlight this stupidity, scan the letter he sent you and post it on your facebook page as well to show how f'd up this country has become. Do it and lets see what their response is... would also be quite disappointed if you dont make a HUGE FUSS over this

Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep
More
15 Nov 2012 12:21 #4 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
Hi guys,
Maybe I’m off the mark but it sounds to me that the letter is correspondence concerning the fact that Ian may be having trouble in paying vat or may want to extend a dead line or may need help from revenue in some way something along those lines, because the revenue could not out of the blue write and ask you to justify the existence of your business Ireland is bad but not that bad just yet!
I don't think he needs or has asked for PR advice I think he is just sharing what I think is a funny story
Jim
  • stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2012 12:33 - 15 Nov 2012 12:43 #5 by stretnik (stretnik)

Hi guys,
Maybe I’m off the mark but it sounds to me that the letter is correspondence concerning the fact that Ian may be having trouble in paying vat or may want to extend a dead line or may need help from revenue in some way something along those lines, because the revenue could not out of the blue write and ask you to justify the existence of your business Ireland is bad but not that bad just yet!
I don't think he needs or has asked for PR advice I think he is just sharing what I think is a funny story
Jim

Here is the quote.... He does quite clearly state the following " the Vat man actually asked me to write him a letter and in that letter I was to explain to him in my own words why he should let me stay in business "

No ambiguity there at all! No maybe he is overdue, no, extensions of any deadlines and no requesting for help, quite clearly stated that the Vat Man asked him to summarily advise in writing why he should be allowed to stay in business.

We are all too aware of Ian's abilities where PR is concerned !

Kev.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2012 12:43 by stretnik (stretnik).
More
15 Nov 2012 12:33 #6 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

Like all businesses we are up against it at the moment but we have always paid our dues.

well Jim my reading of the above is yes that all businesses are struggling we ALL know that but Ian has stated here he always pays his dues, i'm taking this at face value as per what he has written, if he is having trouble i sympathize deeply with him and wish him the best in getting out of it, but it dosent sound to me like that is the case and if this has come out of the blue, well in my opinion make a fuss rattle a few cages, why if he can pay his way does he have to justify it to bureaucratic idiots...

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep
More
15 Nov 2012 13:29 #7 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
No one focusing on the funny story? That’s the point of the topic as I see it and kev you seem to have missed the point I made that the revenue does not for no reason write to a business owner and demand they justify being in business and I’m supposing that Ian (whom I don't know or have never met) is just passing on a giggle to the rest of us in relaying the story without going into the inns and outs of his personal business correspondences’ or revenue affairs!

jim
More
15 Nov 2012 13:45 #8 by Muppetkiller (Stephen)
Keeping on topic Funny LOL.

Off topic now seen as the mods are doing it them self’s..
Don’t like the way mods go about their way on this forum, off topic or on topic. If a mod or mods have a problem with someone, take it to PM's girls. Just looks like this place is run by total amateurs from the few times I have visited this site. People can read inbtween the lines and looks like low blows and when its a mod dishing it out just looks right out awful. Not just talking about this post but a number of others over the past few months.

Don’t know Ian or any Mods or visit any of Ian's shop or shops or mods shop or shops if they have one. Looking in as a total neutral but that’s the impression I get how things are run here. And knowing from talking to others i know im not alone.

This is all imho.

Feel free to put down my post as you do so many others. And show me how stupid i am even thinking such a thing or know the full storey, which of course i don't.

What makes a good forum moderator?
wiki.answers.com/Q/What_makes_a_good_forum_moderator
More
15 Nov 2012 14:08 #9 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Hey guys i just posted this as a funny story....noother motivation ...like i said before funny things happen and i like to share them with people....this really happened and lots of funny stuff happens up here....so take it for what it is.....

lol
Me
More
15 Nov 2012 14:09 #10 by belueberry (E I)
Replied by belueberry (E I) on topic Funny true story!
Well when he didn't make a fuss over his thousands of dead rare expensive fish, why is he going to make a fuss over this? Gives him fodder to complain and snark using hard-right rhetoric with anti-establishment, racist and anti-anyone but the Irish (with the right political opinion) overtones.

Is nobody else finding all this rather fishy (no pun intended)? He's here to rant and promote his political opinions, not a LFS. No need to name the party, we all know which it is.

If the vat man sent you a threatening letter it's because you owe him money and he's sick of your antics. If the fish were put down (if there ever really were any fish) it's because you and/or your agent decided to chance your arm(s) and cut corners on the route to save a few bob, intending to blag your way out of it. Sympathy ran out a very long time ago I'm afraid.

Please note that this is also just my own opinion, and I have no connections with this guy or anyone involved in this massive conspiracy against him either.
More
15 Nov 2012 14:36 #11 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Funny true story!

"...Feel free to put down my post..."

Your post will not be taken down MK, it is, as you suggest, your own opinion and as such is as valid as anyone else's.

You haven't attacked anyone personally - merely said it as you've seen it, there's nothing wrong with that.

While I don't totally agree with everything you've said (I would say that, wouldn't I?) I support your right to say it.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
More
15 Nov 2012 14:36 #12 by davey_c (dave clarke)
thought ye were going to say turns out she was from the office :lol: quite funny ian, cheers for sharing :)

muppetkiller... i wouldn't worry about it that's the boys in powers, i hear their getting blue uniforms with blue beckons for xmas :laugh: ... conspiracy wise,it seems a couple start and the rest follow like lost sheep :silly:

baaaaa :lol:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768
More
15 Nov 2012 14:39 #13 by JohnH (John)

thought ye were going to say turns out she was from the office :lol: quite funny ian, cheers for sharing :)

muppetkiller... i wouldn't worry about it that's the boys in powers, i hear their getting blue uniforms with blue beckons for xmas :laugh: ... conspiracy wise,it seems a couple start and the rest follow like lost sheep :silly:

I couldn't have a blue (or any other colour) uniform - they couldn't get one to fit!

John

ITFS member.

More
15 Nov 2012 15:26 #14 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
As I said it is a funny story and I think this forum is a great resource for people and from my limited knowledge, the mods on the most part hold great experience and part with it freely thank god, however it does seem like kev has an axe to grind concerning Ian imho this is not the place to do it!
  • stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2012 15:37 #15 by stretnik (stretnik)
I have no Axe to grind, as you so eloquently put it these are imo, I have doubts in the validity of some of Ian's posts, you don't need to be a Genius to work that out so congrats on doing same. I have never assassinated Ian's character in any fashion and have never hidden my thoughts about anything.

My concern here is for the emparting of any knowledge I have that may be asked of and the welfare of Fish etc.

I am constantly amazed at those who offer little in the way of worthwile help, advice and personal Fish related information that bitch about the efforts of Moderators and Admin that keep coming back to view and dissect.

I simply said that Ian should embark on a public exposure of the department to let the Tax payer know where their Money is being spent.

Those that don't like that can lump it. IT'S MY OPINION.

KEV.
More
15 Nov 2012 15:56 #16 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
It’s my opinion kev that you tried to undermine Ian's post on this occasion and even when I pointed out that your comments seemed off topic you reminded me that you "all" knew how good Ian's PR skills were. How Ian's revenue issues concerns the welfare of fish is beyond me (If indeed he even had any revenue issues) In fact some people out there in this big bad crazy world would argue that keeping a fish in a glass box is not in the best welfare of fish. So I’ll just say thank goodness we all are entitled to our opinions and are free to air them. Thanks again Ian for your funny story.
Jim
  • stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2012 16:02 - 15 Nov 2012 16:12 #17 by stretnik (stretnik)
You were the first person to raise the issue of revenue, time extensions not me.

Aah now I see the problem Jim, you are new here, therefore you would not be aware of the history, this Forum didn't start yesterday, it's been around a number of years, take some time to look back at old posts and you will see the connection.

When I say my concern here is for the welfare of Fish, I meant on the Forum, not on Ian's post, I think we are at cross purposes here, anyway, the World will keep turning....

Kev.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2012 16:12 by stretnik (stretnik).
More
15 Nov 2012 16:29 #18 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
The problem what problem? I am well aware of some past posts you took issues with and at that time I also thought you had overstepped the mark by hounding him to follow your instructions on how to handle the situation and then when Ian ignored you, you started a new post asking why you had not got the information you required which again I think was over the top. As for not assonating Ian’s character well saying that "I have doubts in the validity of some of Ian's posts" is just short of calling him a liar which is hardly a ringing endorsement of his opinions!
I just don’t like to see people being dragged over the coals for previous statements /opinions or views and this time Kev it is my opinion that you are wrong sorry if you don’t like to hear that.
As for me being new to the forum and indeed the hobby yes I am as my screen name gives away
And it is new people that give life to the hobby and indeed the forum, I’m sure the sponsors would have a dim view if they could not reach new hobbyist.

New Jim
:laugh:
  • stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2012 16:31 #19 by stretnik (stretnik)
Ok Jim, you are right.

Kev.
More
15 Nov 2012 23:35 #20 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

Ahhh no i don't want a blue uniform, :evil:

John maybe we can have a red uniform as our names are red? :laugh: :laugh:

Re Ian's first post fair play Ian had a good laugh from that as other and myself also say we also need a good laugh no forum would be anything with out a bit off banter on it

On another note i do not think by any mean that Ian is haven any issues with the tax man would love to see is there many company's getting this letter

Thanks again Ian

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving
More
15 Nov 2012 23:46 - 15 Nov 2012 23:50 #21 by des (des)
Replied by des (des) on topic Funny true story!

…anyway I continued my rant but he kept grabbing my attention…. so I stopped and asked him if he was ok cause he was starting to bug me…….can you believe what he said next.? I mean this actually happened I am not lying…….He said to me ‘I cant believe you got a letter from Batman'...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: HaHaHa :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I would've loved to have been there for that one
I'll give it to Ya Ian, that's hilarious...

Des
Last edit: 15 Nov 2012 23:50 by des (des).
More
15 Nov 2012 23:53 #22 by des (des)
More
16 Nov 2012 00:21 #23 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)

The problem what problem? I am well aware of some past posts you took issues with and at that time I also thought you had overstepped the mark by hounding him to follow your instructions on how to handle the situation and then when Ian ignored you, you started a new post asking why you had not got the information you required which again I think was over the top. As for not assonating Ian’s character well saying that "I have doubts in the validity of some of Ian's posts" is just short of calling him a liar which is hardly a ringing endorsement of his opinions!
I just don’t like to see people being dragged over the coals for previous statements /opinions or views and this time Kev it is my opinion that you are wrong sorry if you don’t like to hear that.
As for me being new to the forum and indeed the hobby yes I am as my screen name gives away
And it is new people that give life to the hobby and indeed the forum, I’m sure the sponsors would have a dim view if they could not reach new hobbyist.

New Jim
:laugh:

I have to agree with you newbejkjimk, I think you have hit the nail on the head. Some of the opinions on this forum seem to carry more weight than others. Respect to anyone if they've been here for 20 years, but that doesnt give them the right to dictate to the 'newbees'. I'll probably get slated for this but what's the 'eyes' for ????
More
16 Nov 2012 00:31 #24 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ian, brill story.. love the way you tell it too, i read it on FB earlier and couldnt stop laughing...priceless :)

Des, thats brill.... dinna,dinna,dinna,dinna, dinna,dinna,dinna,dinna, dinna,dinna,dinna,dinna........

VATMAN!!!!!!
More
16 Nov 2012 00:36 #25 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
really enjoyed that story ian, fair play for sharing it man.

on a serious note though it seems now that every time ian posts one of his stories/rants (which i always enjoy) that everything he writes is constantly gone through with a fine tooth comb and everything is questioned, it also seems to be the same people holding that comb. it's frustrating to be honest and really puts a dampener on what is generally an excellent forum.

that story was supposed to be light hearted but it seems some people are more interested in picking it apart. the bit at the very start of the post about the letter was there merely for us to get the punchline at the end, again one of ians posts being turned around and put back to him.
i think the term "witch hunt" was used in another post on this topic and i'm sorry but that is exactly how it comes across to me.

wayne
More
16 Nov 2012 00:43 #26 by des (des)
Replied by des (des) on topic Funny true story!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ian, brill story.. love the way you tell it too, i read it on FB earlier and couldnt stop laughing...priceless :)

Des, thats brill.... dinna,dinna,dinna,dinna, dinna,dinna,dinna,dinna, dinna,dinna,dinna,dinna........

VATMAN!!!!!!

agree with You Drew on the love the way you tell it too comment
I fell around laughing when I read it earlier...

...and about the vatman pic, it's amazing the things You find on the net...

Des
More
16 Nov 2012 00:45 #27 by des (des)
More
16 Nov 2012 09:53 #28 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
lol classic
More
17 Nov 2012 00:04 #29 by woodstock500 (Robert Glascott)
For my two cents- as a funny story, this has been spot on, as intended. And I therefore see no need to read into it any further.... its a funny story! Unfortunately, I do also think there has been some moderator conduct that has fallen short of the usual high standard, of late, and I sense other people are picking up on it too.

Rob
More
17 Nov 2012 00:40 #30 by JohnH (John)
I think it's time for the witch-hunting (at least on this thread) to end (and that's from every direction).

Thread locked now.

Everyone who has had something to say has either said it, or has (now) left it too late to say it.

Let's just allow this to peacefully fade off the front page and into comparative obscurity, it won't be deleted but no-one else will be able to comment on it - although it will still be there for everyone to find and enjoy Ian's amusing tale.

John

ITFS member.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds