Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Funny true story!

More
17 Nov 2012 01:13 #1 by paddyc1 (Paddy Corrigan)
My 2 cents worth here....
I've met Kev before and he's a heck of a nice guy and knowledgable to boot and don't think he is the sort to stir for the sake of stirring....................BUT on the other hand I know Ian a long time as he was the first good fish retailer and the only good retailer in the country for a long time. I was visiting his shop since not long after he opened and I trust that everything he does is for the love of the hobby. The bloke has a sense of humour (not for evreyone) but I always like to read Ians posts for the bit of humour. We always know what to expect on ians posts (and dare I say, we always expect to see responses knocking him) so I say....Ian keep doing what you're doing and keep buying the beans ;)

Tallaght, Dublin 24
The topic has been locked.
More
17 Nov 2012 01:35 #2 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
I'm sure Kev is a nice guy and I’m sure Ian is not every ones cup of tea I’m sure kev is not every ones cup of tea and I’m dam sure I’m not every ones cup of tea, as for knocking anyone why put in the energy of picking holes in posts if you don't like what someone says ignore it and move on.
The original post is now blocked which seems to me to be a bit on the big brotherish to me and if you look back on other posts they are still open even though they were far more vindictive I don’t wanna drag this out but if there is rules for us all it should be for ALL.
Jim
More
17 Nov 2012 02:09 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Funny true story!

"I don’t wanna drag this out but if there is rules for us all it should be for ALL"

What is this - knock the Moderators weekend?

However you may perceive this it has to be said that they are here - of their own free will - giving their time and expertise for the benefit of all.
There is no recompense so all time given is totally unpaid and I, for one, consider their work here invaluable.
Having spent the better part of two years trying to do the job unaided I do know - for what it's worth - what a chore the job can be.

So, please, let this drop and let's return to what is, after all, our chosen theme - fishkeeping.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
More
17 Nov 2012 02:45 #4 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
John,
If you read my my posts i have already made it clear that i appreciate the mods work and info that they have and impart to everyone however this does not give them the right to lord over or pick holes in other peoples posts or assonate their character by questioning the validity of others posts if at any time the mods find it too much i'm sure they can give it up same as us ordinary members can go elsewhere if we wish! i give up my time to log on and gain information along with adverts from sponsors and so far i have supported them from the site and named the site in every time i visited the sponsors. I'm Happy to move on, i hope but have not yet seen a post from you asking kev to move on or is there different rules if you are a mod? This is a rhetorical question i don't need an answer!
Jim
  • stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Nov 2012 02:50 #5 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Funny true story!

John,
If you read my my posts i have already made it clear that i appreciate the mods work and info that they have and impart to everyone however this does not give them the right to lord over or pick holes in other peoples posts or assonate their character by questioning the validity of others posts if at any time the mods find it too much i'm sure they can give it up same as us ordinary members can go elsewhere if we wish! i give up my time to log on and gain information along with adverts from sponsors and so far i have supported them from the site and named the site in every time i visited the sponsors. I'm Happy to move on, i hope but have not yet seen a post from you asking kev to move on or is there different rules if you are a mod? This is a rhetorical question i don't need an answer!
Jim

I think the mere fact I said "ok Jim, you win" is indicative of my intent to move on, I am only too happy to, it is you who are dragging this out and assassinating the moderators with accusations of Big Brother like behaviour. It is you that needs to move on, I have.

Kev.
More
17 Nov 2012 02:54 #6 by davey_c (dave clarke)
john i don't think anyone is knocking the moderators and everyone is well aware of the time and effort mods/admins put into the forum freely with great respect to you's for doing so pal. most are very professional in the way they conduct their daily activities/chores on the forum and have gained alot of respect in a position some have not held for long, yet you would swear they were doing it years with how well they adapted, and it would be a pity to have an attitude as of late to tarnish all the hard work done.
i think it would be better to address the situation rather than brush it under the carpet so to speek because to some it may be looking at the irish government all over again with major cover ups.
from what i am aware i was the 1st on a previous thread to question a motive behind what looked to me like a personal attack with good reason!! obviously, going by the last thread created by ian i wasn't wrong. does that not set off alarm bells that a problem needs addressing??

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768
  • stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Nov 2012 03:00 - 17 Nov 2012 03:03 #7 by stretnik (stretnik)
This is way beyond ridiculous, here is what I was referring to ...

" I received a letter from the Vat man last week. Like all businesses we are up against it at the moment but we have always paid our dues. Well anyway in this letter the Vat man actually asked me to write him a letter and in that letter I was to explain to him in my own words why he should let me stay in business……can you actually believe this? I was gob smacked the cheek of him what the hell is happening to this country."

I simply suggested that Ian take this further but there are some among you intent on attacking me, making you no better than the one you are trying to bash, if you cannot see that, I am lost as to what else is in your Bonnets.

What else is it other than knocking the Moderators when a member accuses it of behaving in a Big Brother way? Answer me that.

I said the last part was funny and the rest needed addressing...
Kev.
Last edit: 17 Nov 2012 03:03 by stretnik (stretnik).
More
17 Nov 2012 03:01 #8 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
john, i know the mods do a thankless job which is far too often taken for granted and believe me, everyone really does appreciate all the work you's do. in saying that there seems to be some people here who believe there opinions count more than others and it seems that sometimes if one of the mods gets questioned then the response is to simply lock a topic and hide behind a wall. now this is just my opinion but to me there seems to be a vendetta against ian, some of the things that were said, questions asked etc should have been done through pm's without the need to be aired publicly. it's not good for the forum, as you can probably tell other people feel the same.

there was a post in the earlier thread (which i can't remember the exact wording of) but it was along the lines that kev didn't get the answer he needed from ian about the destroyed shipment and so started a new thread questioning the validity of ian's story, the integrity of it and basically picking holes in it. now by all means if he wanted an answer he's entitled to ask but there was no need to make such a spectacle of it. a pm should have been sufficient.

i've said my bit and i'm going to leave it at that, i don't want to fall out with anyone.

wayne
More
17 Nov 2012 03:06 #9 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
Kev,
Did you notice the name on my last post? I was addressing john, i accepted your admission that you were wrong as did many people that posted after me i did not gloat or even add to that post until it was locked and rehashed by someone else i admire your humility and hope your gonna help with my many questions in the future!
Jim
  • stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Nov 2012 03:09 #10 by stretnik (stretnik)
You said you didn't see him asking me to move on when I had already indicated by saying ok Jim you win that I had and was.

Kev.
More
17 Nov 2012 03:44 #11 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)

You said you didn't see him asking me to move on when I had already indicated by saying ok Jim you win that I had and was.

Kev.

What's with the eyes :unsure: :huh:
  • stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Nov 2012 03:46 #12 by stretnik (stretnik)
My Cat , why?
More
17 Nov 2012 04:16 #13 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Yeah why??

Please explain, don't understand the relevence
More
17 Nov 2012 12:56 #14 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
To freak people like me out that's why the cats eyes

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep
More
17 Nov 2012 14:03 #15 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)

To freak people like me out that's why the cats eyes

I might be missing something, but I find it totally incongruous.
  • Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Nov 2012 16:33 #16 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Funny true story!
That's all folks ! Locking this thread now.
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds