Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Adapters for t5 led systems

More
24 Feb 2015 15:02 #1 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
hi there just to answer some of your queries regarding led up grades we have adapters coming in so the t8 leds can retro fit the t5 systems complete with dimmers etc so keep an eye on our facebook page for updayes...

cheers
Ian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2015 16:56 #2 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Sorry Ian just have to say arrrraggghhh Facebook. I can't keep an eye on it for updates as don't use it. This is not really directed at you but seems to be a general trend that companies are favouring keeping facebook updated rather than main website.

Question, is it easier to maintain the FB page?

I guess I'll just have to get the OH to friend you guys

More
24 Feb 2015 18:11 #3 by JohnH (John)

Sorry Ian just have to say arrrraggghhh Facebook. I can't keep an eye on it for updates as don't use it. This is not really directed at you but seems to be a general trend that companies are favouring keeping facebook updated rather than main website.

Question, is it easier to maintain the FB page?

I guess I'll just have to get the OH to friend you guys

Unfortunately Q this is more and more the 'norm' now - and I say this 'guardedly' since Ian is just about the only one who bothers to update his stock lists occasionally.

I guess it shows the low esteem we are regarded with here on our Forum.

I would have thought a simple 'copy and paste' wouldn't be beyond most people...?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
24 Feb 2015 18:38 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Ill pop up for a look some time buddy
Could be just what the doc ordered for my trigon, was thinking of doing something with it after the led's are sorted for the marine!

More
24 Feb 2015 23:25 #5 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
John, it's not as simple as "cut and paste" Some of the sponsors are way out west, and they hardly ever see forum members, in fact in 2 years one sponsor only had a total of 7 forum members visit, (4 of them local members who regularly call in) even some prize winners didn't bother to travel the 2 hours from Dublin to collect their prizes. Another sponsor only ever had visits from the local members. It's not that the forum is being ignored by some sponsors, it's just sometimes hardly worth it, if they are not in the Dublin area. Let's face it, members on the east coast have a large selection of good outlets on their doorstep, and have no need to travel south or west to visit other shops.

More
24 Feb 2015 23:45 #6 by alan 64 (alan)
+1 for Compto and his lists and info and that he's a bit ove my way but il be going down to check out some new lights he is stocking, good man ian

More
24 Feb 2015 23:57 - 25 Feb 2015 00:20 #7 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Yes Fair Play to Ian. He is on the ball, and I enjoyed visiting. And Clifden is a wee bit further to travel. My point is that with such good shops within an hour, why would anyone travel 4 hours return to the west coast.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2015 00:20 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph). Reason: Spelling

More
25 Feb 2015 00:50 #8 by alan 64 (alan)
ye good point crusty like I won a decent prize on here but it was a donation from a shop in galway and being honest the car I have would use 60 euro petrol down and back and take into account I have to work and family stuff sometimes the logistics is just the big problem mate

More
25 Feb 2015 01:08 #9 by nomad (pat murphy)
QUOTE "I guess it shows the low esteem we are regarded with here on our Forum "........ I think its the likes of these personal comments that do more damage and create a negative vibe for this website.This site has a lot to offer from experienced fish keepers for both experienced and beginners to the hobby to learn and evolve from personal experience regarding fish keeping or aquatic plant advice .

More
25 Feb 2015 07:43 #10 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)

This is not really directed at you but seems to be a general trend that companies are favouring keeping facebook updated rather than main website.

Should have been clearer here, when I say main website I mean the main website of the company not the forum. Like LFS.com updates facebook but not LFS.com for example.

@crusty, for the record OH already liked or friended or something atlantaquaria hopefully kids and I will make the trip this summer and now I know who to introduce myself to.

If the OHfacebook starts filling up with fish stuff I'm in hot water again

More
25 Feb 2015 09:20 #11 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Hi dude ,no problem so I will update here as soon as I know what the story is.........The led t8 replacements are dimmiable too....interesting I will let you know.

Ian

More
25 Feb 2015 09:30 #12 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Hi lads too be honest I dont know what to make of this forum.....Theres too much bitchin to post anything up and I can only speak for my self as to why sponsors dont bother.....it seems like no one cares about lfs and they are just targets for abuse most of the time......On a personal level this forum is a great resource for the hobby and I actually believe in it ......It is very help ful and a lot of guys put a lot of work into it so I am determined to tag along until the bitter end.So if i can help in any way just ask.....and every day is a new day so we can start afresh.......Facebook I hate....it wrecks my head...who cares if someone is taking a dump......jez....theres alot of lonely selfie destruct people out there............but I will try and post up a little more and maybe get more involved myself if that will help......None of the sponsors even post up any more..........lets get the finger out.......Keep up the good work lads I still have faith in you...

:)
Ian

More
25 Feb 2015 11:30 #13 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hey Ian, can you PM me price for LED to replace 742mm and 1047mm T5s I want to get LED next time the T5s are due for renewal.

Thx
Dec

More
25 Feb 2015 11:55 #14 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
will do ...

More
25 Feb 2015 12:28 #15 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
600mm 9 watt t8 led 54.00
742mm 11 watt t8 led are 60.00
900mm 13 watt t8 led 68.00
1047mm 16watt t8 led are 72.00
1200 mm 17 watt t8 led are 75.00

The different colours are the same price and all arcadia bulbs we do sera to they are dimmiable......

adapters are 10.00 a piece

all orders have to be preordered......only takes a few days

may as well post up here

Cheers
Ian

More
25 Feb 2015 12:53 #16 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
So what's this all about you replace your T5 with a T8 led?
Is that right? . .

Mark

More
25 Feb 2015 14:44 #17 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Hi dude....yea we have t8 leds....so if u want to retro fit them into t5 or t8 we can using adapters....
cheers
Ian

More
25 Feb 2015 15:03 #18 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Sounds good have you seen them up and running? And have you got them for growing plants?

More
25 Feb 2015 16:02 #19 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Yep have some up in shop......

www.arcadia-aquatic.com/classica-led-lamp/

check it out

More
25 Feb 2015 16:24 #20 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Is it straight forward plug and play or do i have to cut wires and stuff?

More
25 Feb 2015 16:56 #21 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Plug n play as far as i know.....you can go to sera gmbh website to see them and their leds if u want......

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds