Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Customer arppeciation month...October!

More
02 Oct 2010 11:00 #1 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Hello everyone,

Just to let you know that we are extending our livestock monster sale for the whole of October......That means if u hurry you will be able to buy your fish for approximately one third the price that shops sell them at.....we have limited stocks so first come first served......for instance Galaxy Rasbora normally 5.99 we sell em for 2.99....xxl guppys were 3.95 now 1.50.....marines are the same some corals are €15
you would be mad to miss this....this is the cheapest fish have ever been sold in ireland so get ur skates on!
cheers
Ian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2010 11:17 #2 by dar (darren curry)
fantastic

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
02 Oct 2010 13:05 - 02 Oct 2010 13:14 #3 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Replied by ipcompto (Ian Compton) on topic Amendment!
My god how come everything i say and do causes everybodies knickers to get twisted here??Firstly i would like to apoligise to any shops that got referenced in the term other shops.....how dare i make such a heartless and befuddling mistake....i forgot that one our two out there may be a little sensitive and confused....why else would they bother to reply to something thats fairly irrelevant.....MMMMMM

i will amend as follows......xxxl guppys male 99cent this should be less confusing

galaxy rasbora 1.99 this should make them cheaper.....

if theres any more fish u wish me to clarify please contact us........thank you for pointing out the errors of my ways someday i will get it right if i really really try hard enough......i love the banter on the itfs its gettin better all right....
cheers

Hope this is ok!
Ian
Last edit: 02 Oct 2010 13:14 by JohnH (John).

More
02 Oct 2010 13:10 #4 by ejgibbo (eric)
what corals are 15euro ? thanks

More
02 Oct 2010 13:43 #5 by Ma (mm mm)
Replied by Ma (mm mm) on topic Re:Amendment!
ipcompto wrote:

i forgot that one our two out there may be a little sensitive and confused....why else would they bother to reply to something thats fairly irrelevant.....MMMMMM

Unfortunately there are a few right "planks" matey. Way to much fn free time on their hands

Mark

Location D.11

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Oct 2010 13:44 #6 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Customer arppeciation month...October!
I suppose everybody gets Nickerly twisted because A, it finally appears that lfs are listening to their customers, who, in the long run pay staff wages and make owners profits and B, with things being so economically downbeat , people are not willing to part with their hard earned cash as easily as they were in pre effed up Ireland,

I imagine , given the dwindling money and lfs seeking new or regular custom, any comments will be analyzed and rebutted, refuted or plain disagreed with if there is an ounce of ambiguity etc.
Kev.

More
02 Oct 2010 13:46 #7 by Gavin (Gavin)
maybe if you were a little less outlandish in claims you are making?it is a public forum after all and if you dont expect debate why bother at all?

dont make me come over there.

More
02 Oct 2010 13:49 #8 by Gavin (Gavin)
I'm also surprised that prices are done on the open forum...I was led to believe that this was to be done through pms. Is this still the case..If so I'll pop over and post some our prices up.Clarify mods please.

dont make me come over there.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Oct 2010 13:50 #9 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Customer arppeciation month...October!
I don't understand why my post was deleted, I simply stated that no one that I know is selling Galaxy danios, to give them their correct name, for 5.99.

Kev.

More
02 Oct 2010 14:22 - 03 Oct 2010 08:59 #10 by dar (darren curry)
does anyone benefit from slating others prices, Gav i wouldn't shop in your store but that's for personal reasons, but do you think if i wanted galaxy rasboras or frozen food that i'm gonna drive all the way over to the northside because you come on here getting stuck into aquatic village every chance you get? it comes across as arrogant and bitter, if you want to say your selling cheaper whats stopping you making your own thread. the whole thing stinks of bad blood and i think it's bad for the forum, hence the deletion of your post

Last edit: 03 Oct 2010 08:59 by dar (darren curry).

More
02 Oct 2010 14:23 #11 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Gavin wrote:

I'm also surprised that prices are done on the open forum...I was led to believe that this was to be done through pms. Is this still the case..If so I'll pop over and post some our prices up.Clarify mods please.

I am not a mod but you are right Gavin.
Prices are not supposed to be posted on the open forum by shops.

More
02 Oct 2010 14:29 - 02 Oct 2010 14:38 #12 by dar (darren curry)
platty252 wrote:

I am not a mod

it says so under your name
Edit.
Platty is a moderator for the ITFS section of the Forum. Hope that clears it up.
John

ah cheers John, i thought platty was getting a bit forgetful

Last edit: 02 Oct 2010 14:38 by dar (darren curry).

More
02 Oct 2010 14:34 #13 by JohnH (John)
Gavin wrote:

maybe if you were a little less outlandish in claims you are making?it is a public forum after all and if you dont expect debate why bother at all?

This is indeed a public Forum but here we have a private Sponsor's Section...not a place for you to be challenging another Sponsor's offers.

That is why posts were deleted - just as they would be if another Sponsor started challenging your offers in your own section.

This has become a little tedious now - any further attacks on Sponsors, whether in their section or not, will be immediately deleted.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Oct 2010 16:36 #14 by stretnik (stretnik)
PM sent.

Kev.

More
02 Oct 2010 17:36 #15 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I'm not trying to fuel any fires here. Just pointing out the rules.

Rules for Retailers
•Sponsors must only post listing in their own sections without prices included.
•Non-sponsors are not allowed to sell items through the forum outright.
•Shops should be discouraged from replying to posts with "Contact me for one of those", etc and should definitely not be quoting any prices
•Replies from retailers to posts in the "Wanted" section will be deleted
•Retailers and members are encouraged to use the PM facilities provided for exchanging information, etc

More
02 Oct 2010 17:48 - 02 Oct 2010 18:11 #16 by dar (darren curry)
platty252 wrote:

I'm not trying to fuel any fires here. Just pointing out the rules.

Rules for Retailers
Non-sponsors are not allowed to sell items through the forum outright

so does this mean forum members can't put stuff up for sale?

edit: ah cheers platty, i even quoted "rules for retailers" i'm forever reading things wrong, must be the old age setting in

Last edit: 02 Oct 2010 18:11 by dar (darren curry).

More
02 Oct 2010 17:49 #17 by convict84 (sean farrell)
•Non-sponsors are not allowed to sell items through the forum outright.
could you explain this a little more,why do we have a for sale section then?cheers

More
02 Oct 2010 18:02 #18 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)

More
02 Oct 2010 18:26 #19 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Out of curiosity, why are prices dissallowed? I understand the reasoning for the other rules but this one baffles me.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Melander

More
02 Oct 2010 19:25 #20 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Hi,
Just to clarify things a little.I am well known for shooting my mouth off and offending people.But i am also the first to admit im wrong and offer my hand.I know there is lots of people out there who would agree.I have heard that Gavins shop is impressive and that his fish are good especially his oddballs!Theres no bad blood on my part but i will always be competitive its in my nature.So i hope he does well for himself he's worked hard for years and deserves what he gets.Anyways its all good!I will always listen to my customers needs they come first.I built our reputation on education first profit second.Anybody that shops with me knows i am relentless when it comes to checking water quality and the like.So a monster i am not.And Drew has worked tirelessly just as i have...his imput into the itfs has gone unrecognised....thats a pity for he keeps me on the straight and narrow.....for years he has hounded me to treat u guys with more respect than i have been doing.....without him i would have crashed and burned years ago.So i thinks its time people dropped him a line and gave him a pat on the back because of all the people i know he is the most diplomatic and hard working man i know and the hobby in Dublin is much the richer for his efforts.....if i ever drop the ball and make stupid comments about other people in the trade he always pulls me up and tells me to cop on....So as i said its definetly nice to be nice and today has given me lots to chew upon....So heres to a nicer Ian fingers crossed.....and best of luck Gavin i know you will do well!
Cheers
IAn

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Oct 2010 19:49 #21 by stretnik (stretnik)
Hi Ian,

Monster you are NOT and fair play to you re Drew.. he's a gem in customer relations whether it is Via Phone or in Person, a trip to your store for me was always part of a trip to Blessington and that Restaurant next to you. It takes a big Man to say what you have just said.

Keep up the good work.

Kev.

More
02 Oct 2010 19:56 #22 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Call up for a coffee and a chat some day man....thanks for that....its a time for honesty thats why im saying all this.....yea drew needs the recognition he deserves i have never once in 8yrs heard him say anything bad a bout a soul and he was fanatical bout the itfs it was scary but some people gave him a hard time and he wandered off....but i think he has the passion back and he's back with a gusto!
Cheers
Man

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Oct 2010 20:06 #23 by stretnik (stretnik)
Cheers, cedit where credit is due.

My last reply on this in case I get slagged.

Kev

More
02 Oct 2010 20:12 #24 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Ha ha classic there...I know what you mean yea call up and collect ur bribe u deserved it.....only another 500 to go before i have u all in my power!
:)))
Ian

More
02 Oct 2010 20:42 #25 by convict84 (sean farrell)
drew is one of the good guys,his knowledge on ornamental fish is 100 percent spot on,you wont go far wrong with advice from drew

More
02 Oct 2010 23:30 #26 by silverdollar (Paul Hosback)
In my opinion posting of prices should be allowed, Things have changed in this country and money is alot tighter for everyone and therefore we all expect good value for money.competition between shops is good as it helps keep prices in check. I was once blasted on this site for stating that a particular product i purchased in 1 aquarium shop was almost twice the price of every other shop, I named the shops and prices and was later removed from the site!! absolute rubbish

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Oct 2010 23:39 #27 by stretnik (stretnik)
Nah, I don't agree, if a Sponsor wishes to give prices it should be by pm and as a result of a request by a member to offers made by sponsors, otherwise you might as well have pop up ads and embedded ones too, it's so refreshing NOT to have Ads in any way or form hitting us in the Face.

Kev.

More
03 Oct 2010 01:54 #28 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
stretnik wrote:

Nah, I don't agree, if a Sponsor wishes to give prices it should be by pm and as a result of a request by a member to offers made by sponsors, otherwise you might as well have pop up ads and embedded ones too, it's so refreshing NOT to have Ads in any way or form hitting us in the Face.

Kev.

I have in the past requested prices of livestock and equipment from some of the sponsors here via pm and on all occasions recieved no response. I cannot fathom why. It wasnt like I was pricing guppies. Does not work in my experience.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
03 Oct 2010 10:29 - 03 Oct 2010 12:41 #29 by dar (darren curry)
i must say i've only had one sponsor ignore my pm about equipment, which i find a disgrace, sponsors are only really here to promote their business, i cant see why a sponsor can sit for 20mins to an hour composing their "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious fish list" but can't type 2,3 or 4 numbers in response to a potential customer. and you know they read the message as it states it in your sent box it's just blatant ignorance and that is no way to gain respect or custom. the only reason i can imagine is if they don't have the item, so wat's wrong with this

potential customer: can you give me a price on a fluval 405?
sponsor: we don't have that, but if you head up to or pm x they might have them in stock
potential customer: hello x i was talking to sponsor they said you might have a fluval 405?
x: yeah pop up we'l sort you out. "jaysus that sponsor is a good oul chap i must return the favour"
potential customer: that went well tanx to sponsor, i might pop in on my way to x, to see wat he has in or even a just a chat.

everyone is happy, it's simple business

that's wat i love about aquatic village they always have time for the customer, they are always honest even if it's resulting in losing a few quid to a few shillings, i once seen an elderly oul chap practically ran out of the shop for not looking after his fish and yet buying more, or should i say trying to buy more, he was told he wouldn't be sold anymore till he sorted out his water which they offered to test and advise him on. now that's brutal honesty, cunning observation and showing respect to the fish which it is all about, the oul lad was probably looking for a tetra or guppy but the lads see all fish in one light and sent him on his way.

now where's my bribe?, my nose is so far up your backside it's hard to tell where you end and I begin :laugh:

Last edit: 03 Oct 2010 12:41 by dar (darren curry).

More
03 Oct 2010 11:47 #30 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Wow what can i say well said....that goes beyond a bribe....your in the hall of fame mate!!!Ha ha thanks for the plug but fairs fair i have traded like that for 12yrs and some people have shot us down for caring.It was never about the money for us i do what i do because im a lucky guy.....now that business is tight and the competition has increased tenfold our way of business could be the wrong road to go because people who care about our buzz are in the minority...they want cheap cheap cheap.
The one thing ive tried to do was create a friendly quirky atmosphere up in Brittas that seems to rub people up the wrong way too....ive been called smart arse dick head owner on countless occasions but at least i will always ask u how u are and what uve been up too....i hope we can keep that goin cause we have a lot of fun up there and we like to share it...
As for pmming and helping out folk id like to say yea cool im up for it....Kev pm ed me last night and i spent an hour chatting to him about marine whitespot.....i would like more people to do the same remember im doin this since i was 11 and thats 31 yrs now..we also run the biggest shop in town so theres a lot of experience both good and bad there for u guys to tap into...Anyway im happy that our little discussions has highlighted the need for discussion and putting the customer before profit.Im turning back the clock to the time when this was all cool i dont want to end up a bad tempered twat i want to stay enjoying this till im dead........And remember u dont have to kiss ass with us nice comments are an exlir....they make it worthwhile.....i d like to build a few bridges myself because im sure ive pissed a load of you guys off but remember im human and running that place is a constant nightmare so cut me some slack and ill return d favours...
Cheers dude!
Ian

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds