Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Customer arppeciation month...October!

More
03 Oct 2010 12:17 #31 by Ma (mm mm)
Prices should be ok when posted by a sponsor in their own section. Sponsors should stick to posting in their own section too re pricing stock or any other sponsor related info, a fair way to compete as otherwise it can get out of hand if all sponsors engage.
*Its not good for sponsors to get envolved in each others sections as it is akin to going to each others stores and doing same, a sponsor pays to advertise here, do you see an eircom ad on TV with imagine poping up within eircomss ad to tell us they are wrong or they are cheaper.

Each user on the forum can go from one sponsor section to another and make up their own mind.
*It's up to us the customer to decide which we prefer, cost or quality, both or neither.

Mark

Location D.11

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2010 12:53 #32 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Hello Mark,
Thats a fair comment...well done i think u have hit the nail on the head even though i thought this was the way things worked....i dont think i have ever crossed that line...it never occured to me....anyway ur right it looks bad and unprofessional not good for any of us..
Cheers
Ian

More
03 Oct 2010 22:18 #33 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
one time you abuse ed me for using organic aqua when i was buying angels off you a few years back.but im willing to forgive and forget hahahahhahahahahahahahahahB)

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
03 Oct 2010 23:15 #34 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I thought that this thread was about AV giving appreciation to a special customer in the month of October.

Unfortunately (just like on the Oscars), I'm too busy this month to bring my OH (you know who I mean, Ian) out to AV for a nice cuppa and a comfey chair to sit on. :)

I would love to be appreciated, but not just for my money.

ian
(=another Ian, that is. But I do wonder how the other Ian here has the same Avatar as I do for my laptop log-on picture !!!...I'm sure it's the same picture)

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
04 Oct 2010 08:40 #35 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Hi ya ,
Im sure a lot of people could say i abused them...but most of the time im just messing but people get offended....sorry come up and ill make it up to u....anyway i have no problem with organic aqua i think my point would have been u still gotta test your water on a weekly basis to make sure your parameters stay in check no matter what products u use thats all.....ha ha ha go on u good thing!
Ian

More
04 Oct 2010 08:47 #36 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Whats dis about d money????u think its all about d money?????if it was would i spend thousands a year on my own fish displays and animals i dont sell......the money is secondary but i suppose now as things get tight it is important....just remember that i usually spend hours everday talking to people and showing them stuff........plus i dont charge people for sorting their sick fish....but its nice to make a living to....so get ur ass up for a coffee and a chat and get stuck into me in person ol bean......we have more time these days to get back to whats realer!
Ah that was funny u made my day,
Talk to u soon Ian
ps ur loaded anyways:)
Good to hear from ya!

More
04 Oct 2010 09:45 #37 by Ma (mm mm)
It was a customer appreciation stream till someone stuck their weir in:laugh:

Mark

Location D.11

More
04 Oct 2010 14:30 #38 by steven (steven)
Have to say guys i'm laughing reading this thread, i've been away for quite a while Alaska to be exact. But when it comes to AV, i will defend everything about this place. I've shopped here for 10+ years and am now at the stage that i will shop no-where else, thats my choice as a customer. Drew and a chap called Dave have saved me plenty of money and time with their help and knowledge, Drew is an amazing guy and knows everything there is to know about the hobby we love, and has no problem sharing his knowledge with you.

Then there is Ian, who was not my cuppa tea when i first discovered this little gem of a shop, but turned out to be the most down to earth chap alive, quirky sense of humour and always says hello and goodbye to everyone who enters his shop, i've often caught him in good humour and bagged a freebie or 2 along the way. Think i may have even met you in the ring during your kick boxing days but i won't go into that and embarras you Ian. Anyway keep up the good work guys, its very much appreciated.

Aquatic Village is not just a fish shop, its a way of life.

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

More
04 Oct 2010 18:09 #39 by Nozebleed (Anders Van Cranlers)

More
04 Oct 2010 21:00 #40 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Wow thanks for that man....
A kind word means the world to us especially during the hard times.Thank u so much for ur support and long may it continue...ive always tried to make what i do fun and interesting and we have helped countless fishkeepers in the past and will do hopefully in the future...i cant believe this thread has been viewed by nearly 1500 people this has to be a reckord its only a few days old....lets hope more of u drop by to show ur support and long live the freebies....its nice to be nice!!!
Welcome home sir!
Cheers
IAn

More
04 Oct 2010 21:58 #41 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Freebies???.....that's like calling my name.

I'd give all my custom to the SVP if they sold fish (but I did see a nice pair of shoes the other day, it's just that the insole was a bit decayed.....but nothing a bit of salt, methylene blue and activated carbon can't solve).:)

However, I don't know the name of the people in the SVPs (nor the oxfams), I'm not sure if they have specific knowledge of fish...and so even if they had some on a shelf near the Ronco Record Cleaner I give it a miss.

OR, to put it another way, there are some fish shops that I am happy to visit to chat (and even part with some my loadsamoney money) on the basis of their staff and quality and variety of stock. I won't name names, but if I've every bought any freshwater fish more exotic than a zebra danio on more than one occasion OR if I bother to be polite and have a chat then they know that they are on my 'top-shop' list.

@ian, I haven't been down to yous since the last time I was there (that seems like a strange coincidence really)

...but maybe we'll venture one sunday to do a complete just-off the M50/M1 circuit (if I've got enough time) tour (that's 4 shops on that route)....but after my OH has done too much chatting, we only ever get to half our planned destinations.

ian

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Oct 2010 22:05 #42 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Customer arppeciation month...October!
The publicity must be doing AV the world of good, I have been trying to catch them on the Phone all Day and it kept ringing off, I called their other Shop in Tallaght and the guy there had the same difficulty. The Shop must've been doing a roaring trade.

Ian, was your inSole ref a pun?

Kev.

More
04 Oct 2010 22:22 #43 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
stretnik wrote:

Ian, was your inSole ref a pun?

Kev.

Who knows the secret chantings and poetry of us Salopians? Dark cynical sense of humour we inherit from the peat marshes of the north and the wilds Clee Hills in the south and having a county town built on a sand-pit.

I like to play on words a bit Kev. But maybe I need to clarify a thing....I would use the carbon internally, and not externally (just in case someone thinks I'm giving bad advice on where I'd use the carbon on the insoles).

ian

More
04 Oct 2010 22:28 #44 by JohnH (John)

I like to play on words a bit Kev. But maybe I need to clarify a thing....I would use the carbon internally, and not externally (just in case someone thinks I'm giving bad advice on where I'd use the carbon on the insoles).

ian

Oh dear...and there was me thinking you were making secret references to the song by that once-excellent band from the late sixties...

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
04 Oct 2010 22:33 #45 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
There's too many great bands from the late 60s....do you mean Traffic?

More
04 Oct 2010 22:36 #46 by JohnH (John)
...I hope you aren't looking for a prize!
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
04 Oct 2010 22:58 #47 by murph (Tony Murphy)
Considering the season, I would have thought the hills of Brittas would supply all the desired prizes.
(Or mabye they already have?)

More
04 Oct 2010 23:38 #48 by Zoom (Zoom)
Intresting thread, Have to say I really enjoyed it so far :) .

More
05 Oct 2010 00:45 #49 by andrewo (andrew)
Thats it!! i am definitely gonna go down to AV one of these days to see what the fuss is all about :laugh:

thats saying something as it will be like a four hour drive for me...

anyways have heard lots of positive things bout AV; so a trip has to be made!!(hmmm ahhh thinking/fantasising about the freebies):P

More
05 Oct 2010 08:27 #50 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Well well well....its brillant to see the banter flow between u all and ian as with all ians ur on top form thats good to see....i luv it when an idea gets thrown around and people find the time an inclination to through their tupence in.....surely thats what this site is all about and surely thats what we do best as a shop....ie chat and have a laugh...i must get the coffee machine fixed and leave it turned on with a box of bikkies and maybe a table n chair for people to catch up...thats what i used to love when i bought fish in shops mind u the only shop that u could chill out in was Daves Trop shop in kilmainham....do u know what i miss that shop and grumpy Billy actually saw Dave recently havnt seen him for ages then he pops into borrow somethin havnt seen him since....thats Dave for you....
Fish shops are not about the Mac Donalds squeaky clean look fish shops are about sole!!In ur face boys thats how u uses cheese!Anyway to be serious its about goin somewhere u know ur welcome and someone aint goin to be hassling u all the time.....i wonder how long this thread will go its a corker allready.....ok one serious point left to make besides our fish been half price for October ....what bikkies will i get....ideas anyone?Ill count up the votes and if its close we will get em all!
Cheers guys
IAn

More
05 Oct 2010 09:26 - 05 Oct 2010 11:12 #51 by dar (darren curry)
them "nice" biscuits are lovely with a cuppa, i'd approach this idea wit caution,

"hey ian how is business?"

"i had to give it up"

"ah jayzus, y wat happened?"

"i offered tea, coffee and biscuits, the s.o.b's turned up in their 100s everyday and drank me dry bankrupting me in the process"

"did they not buy any fish?"

"no, they told me, i was outlandish" ( :laugh: i had to throw that in, i'm sorry :laugh: )

was gonna try get up today but might have to put it off till the weekend

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic
Last edit: 05 Oct 2010 11:12 by dar (darren curry).

More
05 Oct 2010 11:07 #52 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
You will have to send some of the biscuits down to AV2.
Unfortunately i dont make it out to Brittas much. But i get to drop in to AV2 a fair bit.

As for what type of biscuits, you could try these:

More
05 Oct 2010 11:34 #53 by Ma (mm mm)
And

Mark

Location D.11

More
05 Oct 2010 12:19 #54 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Excellent.....now thats what i call Aquatic Village bikkies......nice one
Cheers
Ian

More
05 Oct 2010 12:27 #55 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Ha ha very very good i like ur style!!!!!Lets see who can beat these two offerings......im actually enjoying this should have been doin this all along!!
Cheers
Ian
Ps because of recession this is all i can afford!
Attachments:

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Oct 2010 13:01 #56 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Customer arppeciation month...October!
You could also try these!!

Kev.
Attachments:

More
05 Oct 2010 14:15 #57 by steven (steven)
platty252 wrote:

You will have to send some of the biscuits down to AV2.
Unfortunately i dont make it out to Brittas much. But i get to drop in to AV2 a fair bit.

Platty i go up once a week if you ever want a lift up, its no trouble and anytime suits.

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

More
05 Oct 2010 15:06 #58 by dar (darren curry)
we should all car pool and all arrive at the same time and burn the kettle out

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
06 Oct 2010 20:14 #59 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
That sounds like a challenge to me......bring it on ladies!......Because you're worth it!
:)
Ian

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds