Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

a few pix from Aquatic Village, Brittas

More
26 Nov 2010 00:04 #1 by des (des)
i got the chance to take a few pix up in brittas on sunday
these pix are only the tip of the iceberg of what is available at the moment
i was in a bit of a hurry, so i didn't get a chance to take any shots of the marine fish, not even the crocodile fish :(
ah well, there are some stunning fresh water fish, discus, geo's, wild rams, white armored shrimps etc. etc.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2010 00:32 #2 by joey (joe watson)
i think i spot one of my old leporinus!
and is that a "mackrel barb" below it? i know 2 fish are giuven that common name, cant be arsed googling the latin name

good pis there, no matter how hard i try i can never get decent clear shots

More
26 Nov 2010 00:40 - 26 Nov 2010 00:43 #3 by des (des)
cheers Joey

your leporinus are lovely are very healthy looking
i could be wrong but i think the two barb mackerel you are talking about are barilius canarensis and Zacco platypus
the latter being the one photographed :)

Des
Last edit: 26 Nov 2010 00:43 by des (des).

More
26 Nov 2010 01:00 #4 by joey (joe watson)
aye they would be the ones! getting some barilius for the new set-up they are stunning but naff all info on the web
those in the pic look great too must call up in the next few weeks to try to get a gander
and cheers about the leps, they be big buggers too, like the balas i just let go

More
26 Nov 2010 01:06 #5 by des (des)
there's another type barilius canarensis
can't for the life of me remember the name but they have a lovely red dorsal fin
i ordered them in one time when i used to work in purrrfect pets
they're lovely fish and very active too

More
26 Nov 2010 01:29 #6 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Great pics Des worth waiting for mate :) the fish in question are Zacco platypus.. rare import.. these are euro bred as they are very very rarely imported from the wild in China.. realy nice fish, similar to the barilius sp. mentioned but not.. much harder find.. :)

More
26 Nov 2010 01:58 #7 by des (des)
nice one Drew
some very nice fish there, they deserve to have their pictures taken

yeah the platypus are cool looking little fellers...

i'm changing fish around at home, freeing up the 240 for a new set up with new fish
something a little less predatory than usual (must be getting old)
i was thinking originally of a s**tload of bucktooth tetra but i'm not sure what to do now ?
i'm thinking either 1. the bucktooths, or 2. a load of red tail columbian tetra (love those tetra) and some other small fish, or 3. plants and loads of hyper fish like giant danio, barilius canarensis, Zacco platypus etc. etc.
not sure what to do with that tank ??? :(

More
26 Nov 2010 02:17 #8 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Well.. the worlds your oyster mate..;) we have list to whet your whistle:) col. redfins are stunning in a big group.. but so are all fish.. think about silvertips.. one of my all time faves in a BIG shoal.. amazing:)

More
26 Nov 2010 02:43 #9 by andrewo (andrew)
Is that a pic of a geophagus abalios in there??

More
26 Nov 2010 02:44 #10 by joey (joe watson)
des wrote:

there's another type barilius canarensis
can't for the life of me remember the name but they have a lovely red dorsal fin
i ordered them in one time when i used to work in purrrfect pets
they're lovely fish and very active too

they're the ones i'm getting, there's 5 there til i pick them up when the new set-up is ready! bloody beautiful and luckily plant safe too

More
26 Nov 2010 02:56 #11 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hey Andrew.. no we currently have geo. dicrozoster, balzani, brasiliensis and Satanoperca leutosticta.. pardon the spelling but its late.. :) the albianos are prob. the dicrozoster... alot of geos. are very confusing, but these came from a very good source and they have their own scientists. so ID is 99.9$ correct... :) but you really have to call up and see them.. stunning!!!!!!!!! :):):)

More
26 Nov 2010 03:11 #12 by dar (darren curry)
wats pic 20 and 22

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
26 Nov 2010 09:19 #13 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hey Dar honey gourami and snow fan shrimp....

More
26 Nov 2010 21:12 #14 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Fair play to u des some great shots uve got talent!And more obvious u've got talent!
IAn

More
26 Nov 2010 23:11 #15 by des (des)
ipcompto wrote:

Fair play to u des some great shots uve got talent!And more obvious u've got talent!
IAn

nice one man

i'm getting into the photography, cool hobby
love looking back threw them and experimenting with the shutter speed and so on

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds