Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Dissapearing act

• Sarah (Sarah)
  • Sarah (Sarah)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Apr 2007 15:13 #1 by Sarah (Sarah)
Dissapearing act was created by Sarah (Sarah)
Not really something I can get help with, but odd none the less.

Finally got my hands on an elephant nose, Ive wanted one for aaaagggess, and was thrilled when Wackers got some really nice ones in.

Did the usual, brought him home, let him acclimatise, and introduced him into the tank. He had a look around, then settled in in the nice hidey hole sandstone replica I had and spent the rest of the day peeking out and watching his tank mates, once the light went off, he immediately came out to have a wander, so I dropped in some blood worm and went to bed.

Got up the next day, and lo and behold, he is gone.

Hes not in the sandstone.

Hes not in any of the plants.

Hes not behind or in my filter, and he couldnt have gotten out as I sealed up all holes when I got him, as I know they are jumpers.

3 days have passed and my lovely guy is still a no show :(
I've even gone searching around the tank in case he did manage to escape, but no luck (is that a good thing? Hehe)

The tank is quite densly planted, but not enough to hide a 5 inch black fish, and there is nowhere bar the sandstone that I can see all of that he can be.

Tis a mystery, and Im sad :( /cry

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Penguin (Penguin)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Apr 2007 16:58 #2 by Penguin (Penguin)
Replied by Penguin (Penguin) on topic Re: Dissapearing act
What kind of substrate do you have, could he be in there?
Or do you have any very hungry fish that could have eaten him overnight that first night, if he was sick/ died naturally?

The only thing I can suggest really, hoping he is still alive, is not to feed anything for a day or two, then feed soon after turning off the light and keeping watch for a while to see if he appears.

• Sarah (Sarah)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Apr 2007 17:09 #3 by Sarah (Sarah)
Replied by Sarah (Sarah) on topic Re: Dissapearing act
Sand as the substrate, I didint think he would burrow.

The tank is small community, biggest is a male betta, the elephant was 5 inches, so that rules out the eating, unless that is one impressive betta! :D

I just did a more thorough search, and hes just not in there. Also not anywhere around it, so didint jump. Not stuck in the lid, not stuck in the filter, and i dead he would be stuck at the intake within an hour or 2, but he aint. If he does turn up, then im naming him solid snake, for he is the master of espionage.

More
08 Apr 2007 17:41 #4 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
wonder how many people will get that ....... solid snake...
hope he turns up

• Sarah (Sarah)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Apr 2007 18:25 #5 by Sarah (Sarah)
Ill be more impressed if anyone gets my sig when the page that generates it finally works again ;)

I hope he turns up too :( Was really happy about getting one.

More
09 Apr 2007 00:54 #6 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
These fish are real jumpers ans can force a thin glass lid or plastic lid out to pop through, check behind the gap between the back of tank and the wall, they need a lot more oxytgen than even marine fish, Neil hardy who imports them from Africa keeps them in a fast flowing holding tanks, and I have seen them croak incredible quickly when the flow is turned off, they always had a dead jump fish on the floor ever morning with no lids and a 15cm gap between then water level and the top of the tanks, use a torch and a mirror to detect the fish at the back of the tank (exterior!)

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
09 Apr 2007 02:23 #7 by Acara (Dave Walters)

they always had a dead jump fish on the floor

Now THAT is impressive,a dead fish jumping!! :lol:

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
09 Apr 2007 03:19 #8 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Sarah have you checked the inside of any ornaments you have as I lost 2 clown loach who got inside an ornamental arch and couldn't get out again.

Processor.

More
09 Apr 2007 03:57 #9 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

they always had a dead jump fish on the floor

Now THAT is impressive,a dead fish jumping!! :lol:

That right he died in the tank and then jump out and dry out. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• Sarah (Sarah)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Apr 2007 04:33 #10 by Sarah (Sarah)
Heheh, some awesome replies here :D

Yes, the only ornament in there is a fake sandstone which I checked carefully, and I sealed the lid, and checked all around the tank. It also has a strong water surface current, so it should be very well oxygenated.

• Sarah (Sarah)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Apr 2007 04:36 #11 by Sarah (Sarah)
Oh my god, solid snake it is.

Just checked once more and saw a pointy black head peak out at me from the top half of the sandstone. He must have been given me the run around when I moved it to check last night.

Well mystery solved, and that is one sneaky fish, thanks for all the help hehe, ill get a photo of him when he decides to be less shy!

More
04 Jun 2007 13:34 #12 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
How is solid snake now? Still hiding on you?

Daragh

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds