Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

2 Oscars + 3-4 Bottom feeders in 80-100g's?

• CarbonFiberDuck (CarbonFiberDuck)
  • CarbonFiberDuck (CarbonFiberDuck)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Jan 2012 19:50 #1 by CarbonFiberDuck (CarbonFiberDuck)
2 Oscars + 3-4 Bottom feeders in 80-100g's? was created by CarbonFiberDuck (CarbonFiberDuck)
First off I'd like to say hello, You see I am new here. Anyway, I'm paying off an 80-100g freshwater tank. I'm sorry I can't be more precise on the amount of gallons in it. The staff don't even know precisely how big the tank is themselves, But to me it looks around, Like I said before, 80-100g's.

Anyway, I thought of some lists for when I get the thing. The 3 lists go a bit like this: 2 Oscars with 4 Pakistani Loaches, 2 O's with 3 Synodontis Ocellifer Catfish's and 2 O's with 4 Clown loaches. I'm having second thoughts about the last one :unsure: . If any of you guys have a better list please share it with me. Thank you

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2012 21:36 #2 by smitas5 (Marius Smitas)
first of all maybe you could measure the tank (height * width * lenth) we could calculate the size. What filtration will you have? Any pictures?

More
21 Jan 2012 23:01 #3 by paddyc1 (Paddy Corrigan)
Welcome along.
You're right to ask the questions before stocking.
I would steer clear of the Oscars. Firstly they will outgrow your tank in no time, secondly they will eat most of your proposed tankmates and thirdly, they are messy as f*** and will create a bioload that will require daily water changes.

I'm not into cichlids myself but there are plenty of South American cichlids that might suit your tank better.

Good luck with the tank and enjoy the forum.

Paddy

Tallaght, Dublin 24

• Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Jan 2012 23:38 #4 by CarbonFiberDuck (CarbonFiberDuck)
Replied by CarbonFiberDuck (CarbonFiberDuck) on topic Re: 2 Oscars + 3-4 Bottom feeders in 80-100g's?
@smitas5
The tank is 5 foot long, Around 30 Inches thick and about 35 inches high

paddyc1
Thanks for your reply, But I choose to want to have O's. They may be dirty, Messy and all but I like them, There Intelligent and entertaining fish to look at and observe. I'm pretty sure (Correct me If I'm wrong) that 100g's (I think) is big enough for 2 O's. This is not even the final say on what fish to put into the tank. I have thought of putting some Africans in though.

Thanks

More
22 Jan 2012 13:05 #5 by smitas5 (Marius Smitas)
5 foot would be arround 450-500L, so you would probably be ok, but I never had O's so other people can advise regarding fish. But you will need good external like Fluval FX5 or so.

More
22 Jan 2012 13:28 #6 by paddyc1 (Paddy Corrigan)

@smitas5
The tank is 5 foot long, Around 30 Inches thick and about 35 inches high

paddyc1
Thanks for your reply, But I choose to want to have O's. They may be dirty, Messy and all but I like them, There Intelligent and entertaining fish to look at and observe. I'm pretty sure (Correct me If I'm wrong) that 100g's (I think) is big enough for 2 O's. This is not even the final say on what fish to put into the tank. I have thought of putting some Africans in though.

Thanks

100 gal is fine for a couple of juvenile Oscars and will be fine for a while, but I would think that in the long run it'd be just enough space for a single adult. Like Smitas says, you will need a good external.
You will inevitabley do what you want to do but that's my 2 cents.

Paddy

Tallaght, Dublin 24

• Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jan 2012 13:49 #7 by CarbonFiberDuck (CarbonFiberDuck)
Replied by CarbonFiberDuck (CarbonFiberDuck) on topic Re: 2 Oscars + 3-4 Bottom feeders in 80-100g's?
Thanks for your replies everyone, At least I know it's 100g's now :) . Any advice on the list?

More
22 Jan 2012 15:14 #8 by smitas5 (Marius Smitas)
if your measurements are right (5ft * 30" * 35") then your tank is 1014L, which converts to 224 UK gallons.
that is theoretical volume.. you would have to discard gravel and other decorations and add external filter arround 20L
correct me if im wrong

• Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jan 2012 18:54 #9 by CarbonFiberDuck (CarbonFiberDuck)
BUMP

More
22 Jan 2012 19:31 #10 by dyco619 (steve carmody)

BUMP

no need to keep "bumping" your post?

as for Oscars i would say go for it! with that size of a tank 2 Oscars would be be fine,
these are are fantastic fish!
yes they do make alot of mess but have great personalities, as long as you have a good filtration and do around 40% water changes per week you will be fine.

as for tank mates i would think along the lines of maybe a pleco and syno catfish, a group of silver dollars can also work.

good luck with the Oscars...you wont be disappointed... :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jan 2012 19:58 #11 by CarbonFiberDuck (CarbonFiberDuck)

BUMP

no need to keep "bumping" your post?

as for Oscars i would say go for it! with that size of a tank 2 Oscars would be be fine,
these are are fantastic fish!
yes they do make alot of mess but have great personalities, as long as you have a good filtration and do around 40% water changes per week you will be fine.

as for tank mates i would think along the lines of maybe a pleco and syno catfish, a group of silver dollars can also work.

good luck with the Oscars...you wont be disappointed... :)

BUMP :) . 40% Per week for a 200G tank? Lol... Anyway, Yeah about the pleco, I've been thinking about a galaxy pleco, Quite hardy and easy to care for fish. Any special Info I would need on keeping a pleco?

Thanks

• Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jan 2012 21:27 #12 by CarbonFiberDuck (CarbonFiberDuck)
Thanks for the replies everyone

More
22 Jan 2012 22:58 #13 by smitas5 (Marius Smitas)
plecos in general are the gardies fish in the business. at least the ones I everkept :) for the tank like that, nice specimen of common pleco will look great. as a lot of fishkeepers purchase them and then bring them back to LFS when they outgrow their tanks, you can get big ones pretty easy :)

More
22 Jan 2012 23:28 - 22 Jan 2012 23:31 #14 by davey_c (dave clarke)
i like oscars :)
they recommend 50gallons for a single oscar and 100gallons for a pair so your tank is huge :lol:
the bioload won't pose the same problems in your tank as lets say if you were keeping them in a 100gallon tank so once you have decent filtration and as said do weekly changes you can keep all fish, especialy tankmates, happy but i'm sure that you know the score considering you have considered these fish in the 1st place :)
they are fantastic and i hope to keep some in the not too distant future :cool:
Aquatic Village have some nice juveniles in stock along with quite big pleco's (i'd advise getting a big pleco because they are much slower growers)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768
Last edit: 22 Jan 2012 23:31 by davey_c (dave clarke).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2012 10:10 #15 by CarbonFiberDuck (CarbonFiberDuck)

i like oscars :)
they recommend 50gallons for a single oscar and 100gallons for a pair so your tank is huge :lol:
the bioload won't pose the same problems in your tank as lets say if you were keeping them in a 100gallon tank so once you have decent filtration and as said do weekly changes you can keep all fish, especialy tankmates, happy but i'm sure that you know the score considering you have considered these fish in the 1st place :)
they are fantastic and i hope to keep some in the not too distant future :cool:
Aquatic Village have some nice juveniles in stock along with quite big pleco's (i'd advise getting a big pleco because they are much slower growers)

Thanks, But I thought with a tank that size you would only have to do water changes every 3-4 Months?
I've been to Aquatic village, Amazing place, Nice staff.

Thank you

• Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2012 10:24 #16 by CarbonFiberDuck (CarbonFiberDuck)

....Thanks, But I thought with a tank that size you would only have to do water changes every 3-4 Months?....

Thank you

we humans have this comfort, that we can use the toilet, fish unfortunately (for them tank is a dining room, bedroom and toilet) would like to spend four months in their own feces? :dry:

Don't get smart mate... I've read in a lot of places that tanks of that size need cleaning out only every few months.

More
23 Jan 2012 12:36 - 23 Jan 2012 12:37 #17 by wastegate (Joseph Farrell)
Welcome along mate. I don't think Chris is being smart here. He is one of the members on this site that I personally would listen to and would seek advice from regularly. He really does know his stuff. Any-ways as for your water changes every 3 - 4 months, I would say that it would vastly depend on what stock you have more so than what size the tank is. I would dread to think about the state a any tank would be in after 4 months of Oscar business. I could be wrong doh, I am no expert by any means. Sounds like a savage tank doh man, would love to see pics when you have it up and running. Best of luck with it.

You know you're addicted to fishkeeping when...you spend €200 to accomodate a €5 fish.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2012 12:37 by wastegate (Joseph Farrell). Reason: Removed Quote

• Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2012 13:57 #18 by CarbonFiberDuck (CarbonFiberDuck)

firstly I'm not your mate (too big age difference), and secondly if you read so much and know better then why you ask a question that you know the answers?!? B)
all the best and good luck :cool:

I asked a very simple question I did not know 'mate' :ohmy:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2012 13:57 #19 by CarbonFiberDuck (CarbonFiberDuck)

Welcome along mate. I don't think Chris is being smart here. He is one of the members on this site that I personally would listen to and would seek advice from regularly. He really does know his stuff. Any-ways as for your water changes every 3 - 4 months, I would say that it would vastly depend on what stock you have more so than what size the tank is. I would dread to think about the state a any tank would be in after 4 months of Oscar business. I could be wrong doh, I am no expert by any means. Sounds like a savage tank doh man, would love to see pics when you have it up and running. Best of luck with it.

Thank you

• Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2012 13:59 #20 by CarbonFiberDuck (CarbonFiberDuck)

firstly I'm not your mate (too big age difference), and secondly if you read so much and know better then why you ask a question that you know the answers?!? B)
all the best and good luck :cool:

:P

More
23 Jan 2012 14:44 #21 by davey_c (dave clarke)
personaly thats the first i've heard of a 3-4 month w/c gap in this way... that might be possible depending on what substrate and fiter media to allow for for breaking down the waste is in the tank, would also depend on occupants also because with minimal stock of certain non-messy fish it may be possible but as said above oscars are very messy fish and i'd hate to think of the level of ammonia would be like after 3-4 months.
you could possibly try it to see how it fairs out but my advise would be test regularly and have a spare tank setup incase youneed to get them out of there.

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2012 14:47 #22 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: 2 Oscars + 3-4 Bottom feeders in 80-100g's?
If you can't take advice that you sought, FROM VERY EXPERIENCED FISHKEEPERS then I'd advise you to look for a website that will tell you what you have already decided is right for you.

Kev.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2012 16:54 #23 by CarbonFiberDuck (CarbonFiberDuck)

If you can't take advice that you sought, FROM VERY EXPERIENCED FISHKEEPERS then I'd advise you to look for a website that will tell you what you have already decided is right for you.

Kev.

How have I not taking advice?

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2012 17:04 #24 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: 2 Oscars + 3-4 Bottom feeders in 80-100g's?
Can you all please keep the conversation civil here ?

Do remember that typing on your keyboard doesn't come across as if you were talking to the person face to face over a pint.

Thanks - Valerie

More
23 Jan 2012 19:01 #25 by smitas5 (Marius Smitas)
I think OP missunderstood some googled info earlier.
to my opinion anything longer than 2 weeks is not great for the fish.. could work when you are on holiday, but not as a regular thing.
there is such a thing like organic Aqua. that might help you with this, but it aint maintenance free and will come at a cost on the size of tank you have.

More
23 Jan 2012 20:11 #26 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)

5 foot would be arround 450-500L, so you would probably be ok, but I never had O's so other people can advise regarding fish. But you will need good external like Fluval FX5 or so.

I stand to be corrected, but I reckon that tank is just over 1000 litres :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2012 20:12 #27 by CarbonFiberDuck (CarbonFiberDuck)

I stand to be corrected, but I reckon that tank is just over 1000 litres :)

1000 Litres? No way :)

More
23 Jan 2012 21:24 #28 by smitas5 (Marius Smitas)
convert your dimentions to centimeters and multiply all 3, then divide by 1000

• Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2012 22:56 #29 by CarbonFiberDuck (CarbonFiberDuck)

convert your dimentions to centimeters and multiply all 3, then divide by 1000

Thanks for your reply, But That may be so and from what I know (Correct me If I'm wrong)Is that 1000 Litres would equal to about 300-500G's? This tank only looks at the highest about 100g's.

More
24 Jan 2012 08:16 #30 by smitas5 (Marius Smitas)
My calculation was 224 :)

Grab measuring tape and check your dimentions in cm, not in inch.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds