Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

community tank

More
30 Apr 2007 05:41 #1 by goldy (goldy .)
hi looking for suggestions for additions to my community tank. I have 2 bala sharks, 2 haplos, 3 rummynose, 2 cardinals, 2 rusty plecs, 2 coolie loach, 1 weather loach, 2 pakistani loach and 2 clown loach. I am looking for a medium to large size fish with some colour to shoal in the midle to the top of the tank. It is a jewel vision 450. 4 ft 450 litres

any suggestions welcome

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2007 05:53 #2 by Acara (Dave Walters)
How about some of the following
www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Puntius_denisonii.php (maybe a bit on the big side,but nice fish)
Also some of the rainbowfish can be stunning in a shoal as can be the congo tetras.
I would also up the numbers of the cardinals,rummynoses,and particularly the the coolie loaches as they are happier in numbers.
Good luck with choice and keep us posted.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
30 Apr 2007 06:25 #3 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
I've a shoal of Bleeding Heart tetras and they are gorgeous. Worth considering.

Dennison Barbs, i agree, are great looking fish but they can be pricey.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
01 May 2007 06:12 #4 by goldy (goldy .)
Replied by goldy (goldy .) on topic Re: community tank
aah dennison barbs yes they would be a definite possiblility the only thing holding me back so far has been teh price. I would like about 6 aand that makes it expensive. Thanks for the suggestions though.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 May 2007 11:23 #5 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: community tank
How about a huge Haplochromis tank. :wink:

More
01 May 2007 11:55 #6 by goldy (goldy .)
have you got any pictures...and what would I do with the fish I already have would they all be compatible

More
01 May 2007 18:21 #7 by Tetra (Tetra)
Replied by Tetra (Tetra) on topic Re: community tank
id say a shoal of cardinals and a shoal of hatches also some angels 2 clown loach and 2 plecos means you got somthing going on in the top middle and bottom of the tank.

a shoal of hatches would also look unusual

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 May 2007 01:37 #8 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: community tank

have you got any pictures...and what would I do with the fish I already have would they all be compatible

The Tetras would be gobbled up and the Clown loach might disappear but everything else should be fine. You don`t have to go for aggressive fish.
There are placid Africans out there.

Or you could go for some quiter Central American cichlids.
Sajicas and Rainbows are excellent together and your Clown loach will be fine. That is a massive tank and is crying out for Cichlids.

Here is a link to some of my vidoes.

www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=nerdkiller75&p=r

More
03 May 2007 11:12 #9 by goldy (goldy .)
I was trying to run the tank down to change over in some way to cichlids but I have communion in 2 weeks and all the relatives will be coming and the tank needs something to liven it up. I dont want it to look empty

Hatchets are something I never thought of but could be very nice. I did think of rainbows. Bosmani are lovely and they would be nice and peaceful. Cardinals are gorgeous but would be scoffed.

Thanks for the ideas. Will be out this weekend for a look so I think it will come down to what is available and reasonable.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds