Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

How many fish can i keep in a Juwel rekord 60L?

More
06 May 2007 08:22 #1 by neki (neki)
Hi everybody! I am a beginner an I need some helpp with the aquarium please! :(
My tank is in the cycle 3 weeks now but yesterday i put SAFESTART from TETRA AQUA. They are some beneficial bacteria. Do you think now that i put this bacteria my cycle is over now and i can add some fish?

I have got a Juwel rekord 60L aquarium and i have got 2 male guppy and 2 male swordtails.I would like to know which is the maximum number of fishies that i can keep in this tank? I was thinkingg to add 3 Dwarf (1 male +2 female)Gourami and 3 female swordtails because one male is attacking the other swordtail male most of the time.So i was thinking if i add 3 females the situation will change and each one will get females.Is this possible?

I don't know how many times i have to change the filter spounges because in the tank specifications it say that they have to be changed every week but i don't think i have to change them so often.What do u think is the best way about the media filters?

Take care! :D THANK YOU!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 May 2007 11:06 #2 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: How many fish can i keep in a Juwel rekord 60L?
Hi,
3 swordtails males will beat the living daylights out of each other in a 60l tank.
60 l of water will hold 60cm of fish. Easy to to the maths from there.
What kind of a filter do you use? under no circumstances are yoy to change the filterpads every week. That would defy their purpose. Filterpads are home to bacteria that breakdown ammonia and nitrite.

More
06 May 2007 11:10 #3 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Hi,

10 small fish should be fine in a tank that size. However, it's important that you add them slowly over a number of weeks. Don't add anymore than 2 new fish at one time or you will cause an ammonia spike. I would stick with two dwarf gouramis (one male and one female) as they are territorial and 60l isn't big enough for 3 of them to establish separate terratories. You could end up with a lot of agression.

You can read more about cycling here:

www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/cycling.htm

Do you have a test kit to measure ammonia and nitrITE? Without these readings, we can't tell you if your tank is cycled. A test kit is a necessity and I would strongly advise you to get one. A cycled tank will have zero readings for ammonia and nitrITE.

You will need Aqua when you're doing water changes as it removes chlorine. It won't have any benefit at this stage. In my opinion, products like Safestart are pretty useless, although others have different opinions. It certainly won't do any harm to add it though.

With regard to the filter. Filter manufacturers will tell you to change the media regularly as they're in the business of making money from media sales. You will need to clean the media every 2/3 weeks. Make sure you clean it in tank water. Tap water contains chlorine and will kill the beneficial bacteria.

Personally, I change fine media (that removes fine particles) about once a month as it gets clogged and slows down the water flow (even though the manufacturer says weekly). I will only change the biological media (coarse sponge) when it begins to fall apart so that won't be fore a year or so.

If you are changing filter media, it's best to do a small piece at a time, even if that means cutting a sponge in two in a small filter. Replacing large amounts of media could remove too much of the beneficial bacteria and trigger a mini cycle.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ken.

More
06 May 2007 12:16 #4 by neki (neki)
Thank for your helfull advices guys! :D
My filter media is the standart one(Juwel Filter System Compact Super)that comes with the Juwel Rekord 60 Aquarium.

I just did the water test GH=60ppm KH=80-120ppm pH=6.5-7.0 Nitrite=0ppm Nitrate=40ppm

I have got a general water test that measures the GH,KH,pH,Nitrite,Nitrate.
I haven't got amonia test.Do I need one?

I have got the AQUASAFE and i'm using it.
So do u think that the cycle is over now and I can add the Dwarf Gourami couple?

More
06 May 2007 13:13 #5 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Hi Neki,

Can't really say your cycle is over until you get a test that gives you an ammonia reading. I would recommend the API test kit. It has all the necessary tests and is easy to use.

Regards,

Ken.

More
06 May 2007 16:32 #6 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Hi Neki,

Those bacteria in a bottle very very rarely work. I have used Tetra Safe start and it seems to work in breaking down Ammonia but doesn't do a thing for nitrites or nitrates. So that is my experience...you will definately need to get an ammonia test kit. API are fantastic!!

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 May 2007 01:48 #7 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: How many fish can i keep in a Juwel rekord 60L?
I'm only back in the hobby less than a year and I have twice had bad experiences with 'cycling' products.

Heres a shortcut similar to buying 'Cycle'.
Take €10 plus the value of all your fish.
Burn it.
You'll save yourself a whole lot of heartache.

In my experience so far (setting up three tanks) the only shortcut you can safely make is to seed your new filter with nice manky media from an established one. Other than that set up as normal. Patience and time is all thats required.

• koinonia1 (koinonia1)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 May 2007 10:42 #8 by koinonia1 (koinonia1)
Replied by koinonia1 (koinonia1) on topic Re: How many fish can i keep in a Juwel rekord 60L?
I'd think again about the dwarf gouramis. seems they have an inbred virus and its causing a lot of the stock to die.

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds