Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Food for Thought

Poll: Ram - good or not-so-good? (was ended 2012-12-31 00:00:00)

Good
6 27.3%
Not Good
16 72.7%
Total number of voters: 22
Only registered users can participate to this poll
More
16 Dec 2012 14:35 - 16 Dec 2012 14:37 #1 by JohnH (John)
My views on such manufactured fish are pretty well-known, I thought it might create an interesting discussion topic.

So please, comments from one and all are invited. We even have a poll for everyone to vote in (anonymously, of course). :cool:

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2012 14:37 by JohnH (John). Reason: Added another bit.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2012 14:42 #2 by k.galvin (Kieran Galvin)
I think manufactured fish are a bad thing for the hobby, we should be looking at improving existing species instead of messing with "crosses x hybrids" I was looking at a site recently with a Redtail Catfish crossed with a Tiger Shovelnose. Both beautiful fish in their own right ..so why cross them?

More
16 Dec 2012 16:18 #3 by davey_c (dave clarke)
i'm not a fan of rams unless they are absolute crackers...
i think in most cases hybrids and crossbreeding are are a very irrisponsible thing to be doing with very little regard for the hobby, members of the hobby and fish themselves!!... this is why wild caught are best, because of reckless breeding and inbreeding!! :evil:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
16 Dec 2012 17:35 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Ovine short-finned Angel-fish.......wow! One of my favourites.

It's amazing how nature has come up with such lovely cutie fish.....they almost look man-made.

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
16 Dec 2012 20:57 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
i think it's important to remember in discussions like these that unless your fish come directly from the wild (which entails other ethical issues as well), no fish in the hobby is NOT man-made and therefore none are truly natural. the only real question is, how unnatural are we happy with allowing those fish to be? a question that is right up there with how "how long is a piece of string?" for clarity. :blink:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
18 Dec 2012 15:40 #6 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
I agree with LemonJelly on this one. I don't think there is a black or White answer to this topic.

Everyone has their personal limit of what is acceptable, I am myself am not a fan of either hybrids or situations where fish are physicly impared/suffering by/from mutations such as balloon versions. It is of course a matter for discussion what physicly impared means, another grey area. I keep some albino versions of fish, I am sure it can be argued that these are suffering from sensitivity to light for instance.

I do believe that there is a place for massproduced fish as I do not think it would be possible to exchange every goldfish/fancy guppy/koi/fancy betta etc. with their wild counterparts and if so would not the wild populations take a big hit?

Even dedicated hobbyists will probably produce fish defecting from wild "normality". When choosing among wild fish as breeding stock, are we not looking for certain traits such as colour, finnage, aggression etc., how can we be sure that these are the traits that will be most successful reproducing in the wild and reflect the wild population?

At the end of the day it is up to us as fishkeepers, if we stop buying hybrids and balloon versions so will the production of these fish.

My 20 cent,

Melander

More
18 Dec 2012 18:08 #7 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
A number of the fish that we have had for many many years are totally man-made.....goldfish, siamese fighters, guppy strains being the key examples of that.

There is a recent history and a past history to fish keeping; I wonder if our future of fish keeping should be going down too far a road that the very distant history left us.

For the past 40 years I've been working on developing strains of siamese fighter.....so I am guilty of "doing God's work" (whatever that is).

However, I have always believe there is a limit when selecting mutants or hybridising fish that I do not believe I should cross.

If I had started keeping siamese fighters when only wild were available, then I doubt I would have hybridised the species.

In the case of the Ram above, that would be a line that I would not go into if I had a spawning with that mutation.

Going back to our list of goldfish, guppies and siamese fighters, those fish have been a key pivot in fish keeping history.
If we took the wild versions then they are either very bland or would have difficulty surviving in most conditions offered to them (wild Bettas can be no fun to acclimatise).

When looking at the 'ethics' behind different mutants, there are differences. Goldfish (fancy), siamese fighters and guppies have become part of serious groups dedicated to them.

But, I feel that balloon mollies, the new parrot cichlid (not the proper original parrot cichlids) and the Ram above have more of a consumer novelty appeal than say a ranchu or veiltail goldfish that simply says "temporary disposable fish" written across it.
I didn't ask what the price was on these Rams; I am still taken back by the high prices we have seen on fish like 'parrot cichlids'......yet another indication of a disposable novelty aimed at a temporary market.

I actually saw these Rams in the flesh, and they look very cute. They also looked, surprisingly, in better health than many of the other crap Rams you see around.
But.....not my cuppa tea

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
03 Jan 2013 22:31 #8 by mickmanten (Michael McGettigan)
i think manufactured fish are fine, as long as they stay in the home aquarium and not reintroduced to the wild.

More
04 Jan 2013 02:34 #9 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
I have an absolute abhorrence of 'manufactured fish', and I know that the common goldfish was 'manufactured' back in the day, when people didn't know any better, we can't change the past, but in the long run, we have to respect 'Mother Nature', she's being doing it a lot a longer than us!!!

More
04 Jan 2013 04:03 #10 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
its a case of one mans meat is another mans poison, yes i detest man made fish such as parrotfish (not the true kind) and these balloon mollies etc, but still i can enjoy other man made strains such as guppies.. note i said strains to me breeding fish to a specific colour strain is not as mortal a sin as mutating them to these ballon shapes for example, i must say i dislike longfin varieties of fish such as plecos danios etc where to me the fins have been bred to obscene lengths but some people love them and on the odd occassion i can see why but i still wouldnt buy them.

i also strongly object to people who deliberately cross breed species such as texas cichlids with other ca cichlids, why do this.... really.... ok if people accicentally cross species such as 2 species of lets say apistos that they have in a biotope well it may happen in the wild unlikely as it is as they have plenty of their own species to mate with but it can happen, this i mind less as it is accidental but please dont sell on the fish to others it could ruin a specific species of fish if true breeders got their hands on crossed fry which may show only the dominant genes.

I really try to get only true fish preferably wild or f1 to breed them, and anyway i think the wild or close to wild species are much nicer even if less colourful than their line bred counterparts, but i sometimes buy those too

well thats my 2 cents although with the current climate its probably only worth 0.05cent ;)
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds