Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Annual Killifish

More
28 Jan 2013 10:51 #1 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
Thinking of ordering some eggs off ebay. Just looking for any experience people here have had with annuals?
All views welcomed. :cheer:

260l South American Community tank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2013 11:25 #2 by Reefaholic (adrian)
hi i have a good friend who is big into his killifish his name a killikid on here and he does sell eggs etc worth having a talk with him about them !!

More
28 Jan 2013 12:55 - 28 Jan 2013 12:55 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Annual Killifish
I can concur with carpman here - Killikid does have some excellent Killifish and should be able to send you eggs with little trouble (although you might want to wait until these very cold nights have passed). Likewise if you send for eggs from abroad. Killifish eggs are 'programmed' to survive a cold spell - but really only over short periods - in Africa, although very hot during the daytime, it gets pretty cold overnight - but only for the night. Once the daytime reappears...well, you get the picture.
While the Annuals are extremely colourful they are also problematical, largely due to the short lifespan but also their very territorial nature brings problems of their own.
I, personally, prefer the Non-Annual Killies (although you would still get bickering, it's never quite as bad as with most Annuals). But I think the best thing is for you to contact the member suggested and hope that either (or both) IGM or Platty can come on and give far better advice than I can - or failing that you might get an enterprising someone or other look up via a search engine like the now-famous goggle and find a link to post for you to follow.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2013 12:55 by JohnH (John). Reason: Correction

More
28 Jan 2013 14:04 #4 by Reefaholic (adrian)
thanks john..deglan i do be with killikid from time to time and in contacy with him the whole time and if its any help i could get whatever your after and bring to sligo for you i will ask if its ok to give out his number ;)

More
28 Jan 2013 14:54 #5 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
Replied by Deaglan (Deaglan) on topic Annual Killifish
Thanks lads. I'll do a bit more reading up and see what takes my fancy.

@carpman- if you could get a list of species killikid keeps that would be great.

More
28 Jan 2013 19:19 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I haven't bought any eggs from e-bay (that is because of my belief on internet-shopping ;)....although if the right annuals came available then I may go for it), so I can't comment on the specific suppliers.

You may find e-bay eggs to be total rubbish, but you're not exactly loosing much especially that if you consider that you could buy a pair of annual killies from a LFS and find them dead or dying the next day (as is a common problem).

On the otherhand, for a few euro if the eggs are good then you'll get much better fish than buying adult fish of unknown age or prior keeping from a shops.

So....if you're in favour of internet shopping then it is well worth the gamble. There is little to lose and lot to gain.

If starting for the first time with hatching true annual killifish, then I'd recommend not starting with Nothobranchius rachovii or any of the ex-Cyanolebias group of South American Killies as you may end up with too much disappointment.

Other than that, there are loads of good African annuals that are a good start.

Buying some species of adult SA annual killifish is also a problem area as some really do not last long if kept in full tropical temperatures.

There are a number of threads on the forum dealing with killifish breeding and with raising food for killifish. Hunt them down.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
29 Jan 2013 11:57 #7 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
Thanks Ian
Read a great article on Nothobranchius rachovii yesterday by Puddlefish.
I'll do some more research and figure out where i can keep them first. It was just a thought provoked by the recent article in the latest PFK mag.

More
29 Jan 2013 15:19 #8 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
Just found this Article online.
Thought i'd share it here.

More
29 Jan 2013 18:07 #9 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Thanks Ian
Read a great article on Nothobranchius rachovii yesterday by Puddlefish.
I'll do some more research and figure out where i can keep them first. It was just a thought provoked by the recent article in the latest PFK mag.

Is that the one with a pic of my beautiful male in it?

On the PDF link......not a bad piece at all.
Love the picture top left on Page 10. :)

More
29 Jan 2013 19:35 - 29 Jan 2013 19:59 #10 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
Yea that's the one! Stunning little fish it is.
The main site has some more articles re live food culturing mkka.net

Last edit: 29 Jan 2013 19:59 by Deaglan (Deaglan).

More
29 Jan 2013 19:59 #11 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

The main site mkka.com has some more articles re live food culturing

I think you mean mkka.net and not mkka.com

Puddlefish did some excellent bits on live-food culture on this forum.......top quality stuff.

If you wanted to get into the in-crowd then you could join the British Killi soc......I was a member up until the 80s.......too much snobbery for my liking though (in fact that is why I retired from all social sides of fish keeping in the 80s: too many snobs in certain fields).

With an on-line option available now, though, you can be a member at a distance.

ps.....I've just spotted some killies on e-bay that might just tempt me to going against my no on-line buying policy. Very tasty SA killies.

ian

More
29 Jan 2013 20:32 #12 by Deaglan (Deaglan)

The main site mkka.com has some more articles re live food culturing

I think you mean mkka.net and not mkka.com

Yeah definitely meant mkka.net! :blush: only found out it was wrong when I went to follow the link myself :blush:

Nice to see you tempted. Please let us know if you get any. I know for sure if you done a thread showing your journey I'd be glued to it. i'm really getting tempted to try some, just have to work a way around herself. :crazy:

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds