Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

neon tetras

More
16 Feb 2013 20:51 #1 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
kinda thinking about getting 15 or so , have never kept them .. are they a total waste of time and dosh ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2013 21:02 #2 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
I personally think cardinals are nicer more colour full.
jim

More
16 Feb 2013 21:44 #3 by Cillian (Cillian Murphy)
My mum is obsessed with the neons, but id avoid them if i were you, she bought 10 neons on two separate occasions and only 4 out of the 20 survived, go for cardinals they have better colouring and are a stronger stock then neons imo.
Cillian

More
16 Feb 2013 22:02 #4 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Iv got around 15 wild green neons in the tank they look great especially against the green of a planted tank

And if your buying 15 im sure your lfs will throw in one or two for free ;)

Mark

More
16 Feb 2013 22:26 #5 by woodstock500 (Robert Glascott)
Hey Spidermonkey, do you need to treat your water to lower the pH for your green neons? I'm up the road in Cabinteely and my pH is 7 - 7.5, I lovethe greens but would be worried they wouldn't do well at these parameters.

Also I love the tank you have at the bottom of your posts but it got me thinking- I've never seen a dolmen inspired aquascape?! Could look great if the right stone could be found!

Cheers, rob

More
17 Feb 2013 01:31 - 17 Feb 2013 01:33 #6 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Hi Rob

To be honest with you i wouldn't have a clue what the pH in the tank is at the moment
I'm a believer in if there is no problems in the tank why bother checking it

Now what i would say is im using ADA aqua soil which you might know lowers the pH and the neons are in the tank over a year now so there Happy :)

A dolmen inspired aquascape that's an awesome idea, have you got a particular one in mind?

Mark
Last edit: 17 Feb 2013 01:33 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill).

More
17 Feb 2013 14:39 #7 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
Replied by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath) on topic neon tetras
so anyone think , dont do it man !! they are weaklings get deseased and will die fast , ahhhh !!!!

i have wanted to get them but have always veered away ..

More
17 Feb 2013 15:10 #8 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Not all shops get their fish from the same wholesaler, so it pays to look around. It depends on what shop you get them from.
Some wholesalers treat their fish like crap, and others are more humane in the way they treat their fish. I can't name and shame on here, which is a pity. There are some good neons about.

More
17 Feb 2013 16:22 #9 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)

Not all shops get their fish from the same wholesaler, so it pays to look around. It depends on what shop you get them from.
Some wholesalers treat their fish like crap, and others are more humane in the way they treat their fish. I can't name and shame on here, which is a pity. There are some good neons about.

Yep totally agree it depends were you get them. If you want to know were i got mine pm me

Mark

More
17 Feb 2013 17:20 #10 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
Replied by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath) on topic neon tetras

very fair point , and i would say i have shopped in most of the main dublin places over the last 3 years , north and south side , some good some shite .. anyway

More
17 Feb 2013 23:46 #11 by woodstock500 (Robert Glascott)
I am hoping to set up a low light tank with Scarlet Badis and either Sundadanio Axelrodi or some green neons. At the moment I'm leaning towards the neons because they're a stunning little fish. Good to hear they're not as tricky as I imagined. Thanks lads, I'll definitely be shopping about and in no hurry if and when the time comes.

Out of curiosity, has anyone had any luck breeding neons, or do people not bother as they are so cheap?

@Mark. Had a quick look at dolmen pics but the closest to what I thought would be Kilclooney in Donegal. Something like that would look good recessed into a hill or something? Certainly not something you see in competitions!
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds