Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

how many bolivian rams ..

More
04 Jun 2013 15:03 #1 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
could i put in a 90 litre tall with 10 neons / 5 pygmy corys . Also whats the best mix of sexes ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2013 15:22 - 05 Jun 2013 15:28 #2 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
so Im told I should only do 2 Bol Rams in this tank , anyone think i could do 4 ?
Last edit: 05 Jun 2013 15:28 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath).

More
05 Jun 2013 16:23 #3 by JohnH (John)
It would be most sensible, I think, to only have a pair - but unfortunately not all fish fall into categories of what's best.

I would suggest that you try two pairs if you'd like more than the one pair and watch how things progress.

A good suggestion would be to try to divide the tank into two halves, not literally, but with a bulky series of wood or rocks pretty well in the centre.

This, to a small degree, would (in theory at least) allow for two entirely 'individual' territories which might end up with you finding a pair taking up residence at either side of the 'barrier'.

If this works - great, but if not you might find yourself having to return one pair and exchange them for something else - but, hopefully, this won't be necessary.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
05 Jun 2013 16:41 #4 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
Thanks John ..

I will try and get a male and female and see how it goes so .. Could I put some dwarf neon rainbows with them ?

More
05 Jun 2013 16:45 #5 by JohnH (John)
I don't see why not, just beware when buying them, I have seen some very poor specimens of the Praecox Rainbows of late.

Not all, but some - so look for ones with straight spines and active erect fins. You shouldn't go wrong then.

John

ITFS member.

More
05 Jun 2013 16:54 #6 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

I don't see why not, just beware when buying them, I have seen some very poor specimens of the Praecox Rainbows of late.

Not all, but some - so look for ones with straight spines and active erect fins. You shouldn't go wrong then.

John

great john , thanks ..

I have 10 neons in this tank at the mo , would it be overstocked if I left them with say .... ?

5 praecox
10 neons
2 bolivians /...

or more tetras ( maybe 5 ember )
couple of small coryys
2 Bolivians

More
05 Jun 2013 21:31 #7 by m4r10 (m4r10)
Try this link: aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php
It will tell you whether you're overstocking or if the fish you have are compatible.

More
06 Jun 2013 08:12 #8 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

It will tell you whether you're overstocking or if the fish you have are compatible.

thanks yeah , the aqua advisor will probably tell me 6 rams are ok ! .. im looking for some ram experienced dudes , its a fish I have never kept .. I suspect 2 rams 10 / 12 tetras and some corys would be good ..

More
06 Jun 2013 09:00 #9 by JohnH (John)

thanks yeah , the aqua advisor will probably tell me 6 rams are ok ! .. im looking for some ram experienced dudes , its a fish I have never kept .. I suspect 2 rams 10 / 12 tetras and some corys would be good ..

You're right - these 'catch-all' solutions sites can sometimes be a bit inaccurate.

I think that either of your projected stock-lists would be OK but I wouldn't add too many more fish to either list myself (always a temptation) and all bets are off if the Rams decide to spawn, they can become very protective parents!

I have a pair at the moment in an 84 litre tank which co-exist perfectly well with some young Angels, Corys and even a female Apistogramma Agassizi - they aren't at all aggressive (other than at feeding time, and even then only to one another) - I suppose I just got lucky with this pair!

Let us know how things progress and which option you choose.

John

ITFS member.

More
06 Jun 2013 09:12 #10 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

I have a pair at the moment in an 84 litre tank which co-exist perfectly well with some young Angels, Corys and even a female Apistogramma Agassizi - they aren't at all aggressive (other than at feeding time, and even then only to one another) - I suppose I just got lucky with this pair!

a pair of bolivians ?

More
06 Jun 2013 09:15 #11 by JohnH (John)
...Indeed.

ITFS member.

More
06 Jun 2013 09:23 #12 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

...Indeed.

great , was going to try germans but this ph is 7.4 .. Altough they are nicer to look at I believe the Bolvians will do better in 6he long run and may even spawn at that ph ?

More
06 Jun 2013 11:14 #13 by JohnH (John)
My pH creeps a bit higher than that even in periods of low rainfall (not a scenario we need to be too concerned about in recent years) and I have always kept them OK no matter what level (never above 8 - mercifully). Indeed one pair spawned regularly and raised young each time.

The 'proper' Rams (Ramerizis - not sure where they ever got the 'German' part of the now-common name from, apart from the fact that some were line-bred there) need not be as delicate as they are claimed to be - this comes from the fact that those now being bred in the far-East are extremely prone to almost every kind of malady going (a bit like the Dwarf Gouramis from there too).
From what I can gather they're dosed up to the eyeballs with antibiotics at source and once removed from this soon die.
As mentioned previously the European-bred Rams are far stronger and more resistant to the common maladies which affect the far-Eastern ones.
By European-bred ones I don't mean the ones bred in the far-East but sold by unscrupulous suppliers as being bred in Europe.

But, I think you're going down the right route myself by getting the Bolivians to start with - you could always progress to the 'Germans' at a later date.

John

ITFS member.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds