Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Advice??!!??

More
14 Nov 2013 13:42 #1 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Just been in one (I'd love to name it) of the 'supermarket' pet shops in Galway, and while browsing the fish, was amazed at the 'advice' being given to two budding fish keepers as to their choice of fish and 'suitable' tank.
Apparently African cichlids (mixed mbuna) are hardier than goldfish and 10 can be kept in a 2 foot tank and only some of the water has to be changed every couple of weeks, instead of all of it for the poor goldfish. Also, (this is a beaut), goldfish can live for about 20 years but most people only have them for about 6 months.

The saddest thing about this, is that the assistant/advisor was not young, probably in mid 40s, surely should have better knowledge. Only I was in a rush, I would have warned these 'customers' to get proper advice.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2013 14:25 - 14 Nov 2013 14:34 #2 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Often the problem with pet shops is the staff are undertrained on the aquatic side of things, and instead will apply a basic knowledge across the entire floor resulting in poorly advised customers.
However of course not all shops are like this, Ive encountered it in a well known Cork supermarket shop where once a staff member was trying to convince me that endlers were indeed guppys, while I can appreciate the close resemblence, it was the fact that the staff member had no knowledge there was even a fish named an endler, yet she was looking at about a hundred of them in front of her for weeks!
Many pet shops are focused on dogs,cats and the likes, but the aquatic sections often get overlooked with the majority of stock been bread and butter fish so the likes of a newbie purchsing them means that the knowledge of the customer is less and so the staff will get away with the basics.

I appreciate the shops situation also, however in fairness its up to the owners of these shops to educate there staff. Ive been to other shops who have been very good also, so its important to clarify that not all supermarket type pet shops are in this bracket, and many have fine staff to assist people in the fish side of things. I find many of these shops tend to have a fish guy, who deals with the fish queries. However its like I say for any service or shop, if you find the quality of service isnt good enough, then dont shop there. Ive a petshop literally a stones throw from me, but I wouldnt even buy fish food from them.
The unfortunate thing in all of this is that many customers will buy fish on the back of their poor advise. I know of one shop nearby me who should know better and knows me, when I said that Id a bamboo shrimp living 3 years bought off him, his reply was "damn,thats bad for business". I know it was said in jest, but its bad to actually hear it out loud!

Gavin
Last edit: 14 Nov 2013 14:34 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner).

More
14 Nov 2013 16:53 #3 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)

Just been in one (I'd love to name it) of the 'supermarket' pet shops in Galway, and while browsing the fish, was amazed at the 'advice' being given to two budding fish keepers as to their choice of fish and 'suitable' tank.
Apparently African cichlids (mixed mbuna) are hardier than goldfish and 10 can be kept in a 2 foot tank and only some of the water has to be changed every couple of weeks, instead of all of it for the poor goldfish. Also, (this is a beaut), goldfish can live for about 20 years but most people only have them for about 6 months.

The saddest thing about this, is that the assistant/advisor was not young, probably in mid 40s, surely should have better knowledge. Only I was in a rush, I would have warned these 'customers' to get proper advice.

If you are talking about the shop that I think that you are talking about, I would not, as Gavin put it, even buy fish food from them. However, I did buy a goldfish there- to rescue the poor thing! :angry:

The unfortunate thing in all of this is that many customers will buy fish on the back of their poor advise.

I don't think that customers are blameless here either. It is a year ago a mate was giving away his fish tank, and I took it from him to fulfill a lifelong "thing" about goldfish. FIVE MINUTES research online- on my mobile phone- told me that what I was planning to do was wrong and in no fish's best interests. It took me a further six months to actually get a fish- but I will claim that I did my best for my fish, to the best of my ability and budget. That five minutes saved poor fish from unnecessary torment in my tank as I learned from avoidable stupid mistakes.

Of course, that meant that I could advance to even bigger stupid mistakes! :(

More
14 Nov 2013 18:19 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

If you are talking about the shop that I think that you are talking about, I would not, as Gavin put it, even buy fish food from them. However, I did buy a goldfish there- to rescue the poor thing! :angry:

The unfortunate thing in all of this is that many customers will buy fish on the back of their poor advise.

I don't think that customers are blameless here either. It is a year ago a mate was giving away his fish tank, and I took it from him to fulfill a lifelong "thing" about goldfish. FIVE MINUTES research online- on my mobile phone- told me that what I was planning to do was wrong and in no fish's best interests. It took me a further six months to actually get a fish- but I will claim that I did my best for my fish, to the best of my ability and budget. That five minutes saved poor fish from unnecessary torment in my tank as I learned from avoidable stupid mistakes.

Of course, that meant that I could advance to even bigger stupid mistakes! :(

If you're not making stupid mistakes in fishkeeping then you're obviously doing something wrong! :blink:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
14 Nov 2013 18:53 #5 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)

If you're not making stupid mistakes in fishkeeping then you're obviously doing something wrong! :blink:

I prefer my mistakes to be in the wet carpet category- which frequently happens- than the dead fish category! :S

More
14 Nov 2013 21:22 #6 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)

Often the problem with pet shops is the staff are undertrained on the aquatic side of things, and instead will apply a basic knowledge across the entire floor resulting in poorly advised customers.
However of course not all shops are like this, Ive encountered it in a well known Cork supermarket shop where once a staff member was trying to convince me that endlers were indeed guppys, while I can appreciate the close resemblence, it was the fact that the staff member had no knowledge there was even a fish named an endler, yet she was looking at about a hundred of them in front of her for weeks!
Many pet shops are focused on dogs,cats and the likes, but the aquatic sections often get overlooked with the majority of stock been bread and butter fish so the likes of a newbie purchsing them means that the knowledge of the customer is less and so the staff will get away with the basics.

I appreciate the shops situation also, however in fairness its up to the owners of these shops to educate there staff. Ive been to other shops who have been very good also, so its important to clarify that not all supermarket type pet shops are in this bracket, and many have fine staff to assist people in the fish side of things. I find many of these shops tend to have a fish guy, who deals with the fish queries. However its like I say for any service or shop, if you find the quality of service isnt good enough, then dont shop there. Ive a petshop literally a stones throw from me, but I wouldnt even buy fish food from them.
The unfortunate thing in all of this is that many customers will buy fish on the back of their poor advise. I know of one shop nearby me who should know better and knows me, when I said that Id a bamboo shrimp living 3 years bought off him, his reply was "damn,thats bad for business". I know it was said in jest, but its bad to actually hear it out loud!

Gavin

Hi guys i think Gavin makes a point that stands for all Lfs you vote with your feet and i also agree with his sentiments that not all chain stores can be tarred with the same brush i have had fantastic advice and stock and some really rare finds from a chain store. And on the flip side i have been in aquatic only shops that i would never darken the door again so really imho you can't generalise.
jim

More
17 Nov 2013 20:14 #7 by Patrick888 (Patrick Drummey)
Just my two cents worth

While my experience in supermarket type establishments have been mixed over the years, I do believe that if a customer goes to the shop with a view to purchase, then they ideally should have a basic knowledge of what they're looking for/at.

Whilst visiting one of these outlets in the past, I was browsing the various tanks. You know those small picture i.d. cards they have above the tanks. Well I saw one with a picture of a Hypancistrus Zebra (L046) on it. Couldn't see it in the tank though. Sooooo, getting a bit excited I called an assistant to show me. They proceeded to point out a Hillstream Loach in the tank and told me that when they grow, they morph into a Zebra Plec!!!!!! Imagine waiting for that to happen, lol

Now I didn't hang around to find out if he genuinely believed that because it's what he was told previously, or whether he was just chancing his arm.

Needless to say, I politely left - and haven't been back..

Patrick

More
17 Nov 2013 20:50 - 17 Nov 2013 20:54 #8 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
lmfao :laugh: .hi I'm sure there has been some yearns told in lots of shops big and small over the years.
jim
Last edit: 17 Nov 2013 20:54 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly).

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds