Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Pics of the things I like :)

More
23 May 2014 19:38 #1 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Just a few photos of my current tanks setup,
Recently got cut offs from a friend of mine so its not that grown looking-Enjoying it all the same

S.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2014 19:44 #2 by Stem12 (Stephen M)

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
23 May 2014 19:46 - 23 May 2014 19:51 #3 by Stem12 (Stephen M)

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-
Last edit: 23 May 2014 19:51 by Stem12 (Stephen M).

More
23 May 2014 19:47 #4 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Very nice,
Is that one of my corys in there?

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
23 May 2014 19:53 #5 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Yes man it is, Ive lost 2 randomly from the 12 I got from you but theres still 10 going strong and doubling in size!!
Hows things with you anywho mate? I haven't been on here in a while I seen your downsizing?!

S.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
23 May 2014 19:58 #6 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Doing good pal,
Sorry to here you lost 2
Any idea what from?
Yea just keeping few bits couldn't keep up with the corys spawning every week :laugh:
Nice set up,
We like the same things ;)

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
23 May 2014 20:24 #7 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Lovely looking tanks. Appreciate u sharing

More
23 May 2014 20:28 #8 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
Wow ! very nice crispy healthy tanks ... thanks for sharing !

More
23 May 2014 20:51 #9 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

Wow ! very nice crispy healthy tanks ... thanks for sharing !

+1 fir sharing. lovely tanks with great colour!

More
24 May 2014 00:42 #10 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Ill be honest, Corrys have grown on me alot.....
I used to think they all looked like Mr Miyagie after being hit in the face a few times by a shovel of an excavator....... but they are starting to hold more and more appeal lately!!!!
Really nice looking setup there!!!
Have to say Im some what envious and if i could get off my arse and stop putting it off, Id love to plant one of my tanks

More
24 May 2014 10:50 - 24 May 2014 11:32 #11 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
On the subject of Cory's. Yes they are Amazing creatures. If I was to set up a new tank and a big one. 4-6 feet I would have several different groups. Sterbai, Adolfi and Pygmy Cory's. But I found there is a huge difference between store bought and irish bred . I got sterbai from a member here years ago and I fell in love with them, so fit so colorful and healthy, active all day. ( thanks Derek ) .Since then I have met many Irish breeders and all their home bred Cory's are stunning.
Not to take it away from some of the better fish stores who have some foreign some Irish and some wild fish. And also Some rare varietys. We do need to support of mum and papa stores.
but I think I will only buy Cory's from our breeders in future, unless I am looking for something special. there are many home breeders on here.
Maybe 1 more in years to come wink wink.
But as for any fish if you want fish give a big shout out here. Especially Cory's as I know there are fish always.
Available
Last edit: 24 May 2014 11:32 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding).

More
24 May 2014 10:56 #12 by swai (Simon)
Your right about corys, only got my first few from a lfs and so fun to look at. Great workers too. Will definitely be getting a good few for my new planted tank!

Marino, Dublin 9

More
24 May 2014 20:18 #13 by Stem12 (Stephen M)

Doing good pal,
Sorry to here you lost 2
Any idea what from?
Yea just keeping few bits couldn't keep up with the corys spawning every week :laugh:
Nice set up,

No man not sure, Regular behaviour and lost them over night.. One thing I did notice is they lost colour and before I knew it..gone.
Ye them spawning corys, id say were some work! did you find them a home in the end?
the set ups alright at the mo, Ive only recently put plants in well only cutting and there doing great!
Big thanks, to a good friend of mine Inza for the cuttings,

S.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
24 May 2014 20:27 #14 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
@_Hammie-
Corys are one of my favourites, ive had them since I started fishkeeping, Started with pandas and now sterbais from our own AngleCichlid great little fish, When their goin 90 running around looking for food and then they find something and just freeze- its so funny :)

Honestly mate, I was to late in planting my tank properly, I already have 30kg of gravel in the tank!
So I went to a very knowledgeable person Darren from SH,
and he suggested instead of starting fresh with substrate gravel etc- I just purchase 'clay balls' and push them into the gravel I have,
So I did that and as I've said got some cuttings and now there flying!
Cheap to do to, Like clay balls where 8-10€ and ferropol its not that bad,
Of course Co2 helps too ;)

S.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
24 May 2014 22:00 #15 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Theres 6 Corys in our community tank now. I never liked them till i got them and started watching their behaviour!!!!
Now i think they are kinda fascinating!!!!

I had 7 of them, but 1 was lost for an unknown reason!!!! Swimming along fine and happy in the morning at 6am.... by 8am he/she was in the corner away from everything else and by 9am floating at the top of the tank!!!!

I guess it was just one of those things, cause the rest of the tank was absolutely fine!!!!

More
24 May 2014 23:32 #16 by Inza (philippe launois)
nice tanks !!! See it is not hard to have real plants !
they seems to be growing well too !

More
25 May 2014 09:17 #17 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)

Doing good pal,
Sorry to here you lost 2
Any idea what from?
Nice set up,

No man not sure, Regular behaviour and lost them over night.. One thing I did notice is they lost colour and before I knew it..gone.
Ye them spawning corys, id say were some work! did you find them a home in the end?
the set ups alright at the mo, Ive only recently put plants in well only cutting and there doing great!
Big thanks, to a good friend of mine Inza for the cuttings,

S.

Yea pal they were snapped up fairly quick,
Still have around a hundred juveniles left

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds