Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Moving a tank

More
02 Aug 2014 14:08 #1 by gryzor (Barry Reid)
Hey all

I have a 125ltr community tank with a sand substrate. Fish are barbs, various tetras, few cories, few platies and a couple of plecos. I'll be moving house soon. It's only up the road a bit so no great travel distance.

I have a 30ltr sealable plastic container (for brewing beer, hasn't been used for that, I use it for my water changes). My plan is to fill that with tank water, and transfer the fish to it. Then empty the rest of the water from the tank. I have an internal filter, was just gonna rest that on the sand.

Then, load the tank and container into the car, transfer to new house. Then transfer the 30ltrs and fish to tank, and fill with treated tap water. Turn back on filter.

Will this work?? Will introducing the guts of 100ltrs of fresh water cause me any issues??

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2014 22:26 #2 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
I could be wrong but personally I would "borrow" large 20L containers and bring 60 or 70% of the water with me. I dont see where you are located but perhaps a local shop can loan you 2 or 3 containers. If that fails i would test both origin water and destination water and if need be I would prep the destination water (temperature, PH, dechlorination).
If you are in Dublin or near Dublin 8 I could loan you a couple of "office bottles" that contain about 19L each.

More
02 Aug 2014 23:18 #3 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
Like Miami said try locate containers and bring more of the water. I recently moved a 90l tank although I emptied half of it and left all fish and plants in the tank. It was a bit of a headache.

It was Heavy and the water shifting side to side didn't help but if it's on a lower level you could move the fish in the 30 litre and try leaving some water in.

If you don't have too many fish you could try adding the fish with the old water and 20 litres of treated water then add more water the next day. I don't think that shud change ph but I could be wrong.

I'm hoping to move again soon so it'll be good to no how you got on. I've 3 tanks to shift once again my 90l on the second floor.

More
03 Aug 2014 01:03 #4 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
+1 on keeping more of the tank water and make sure the filter stays wet if it drys out you could lose the bacteria colony. Leave the substrate wet also for the bacteria in it.

Good luck with the move, hope you're handy with a net catch all those fish should be fun.

More
03 Aug 2014 13:13 #5 by gryzor (Barry Reid)
Replied by gryzor (Barry Reid) on topic Moving a tank
Many thanks for the replies and offers of help. I'm based in Limerick, I'll organise some extra containers, and bring most of the tank water with me.

My ideal would be to move it third full and leave the fish in there. But I rekon i'd just stir up all the sand and have a mess on my hands at the end. Also, it might overstress the tank joints, moving it around with that much weight in it.

Definitely not looking forward to chasing the fish round the tank with a net :ohmy:

More
03 Aug 2014 14:29 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
You're definitely right about the sloshing. I had to move a tank with barely 2 inches of water in it and the fish in it too. I was only sliding it 2 feet, but even so, you get ALOT if water movement if you jerk it too suddenly.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
03 Aug 2014 14:52 #7 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Honestly id remove the fish and leave barely enough water in the tank to keep the substrate wet!
Glass will deform and flex and with water not being a solid state and moving around the additional stress on joints could just prove too much for the joints and fracture

Ive moved a tank with a couple of inches in the bottom from 1 side of a room to another and ill honestly not do it that way again!

Plenty of containers of cycled water, and be patient when your refilling! Do a couple of additional partial changes in the few days after the move too!

More
03 Aug 2014 22:27 #8 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
As said already, bring as much as you can in sealed buckets and as little as possible in the tank.
Treat it as a water change, so dont replace more than 50%.
If you cant bring 50% old water then just top up with just under the same amount of new water and add the rest over the weeks just like doing water changes but adding water only.
Fill buckets to top a securely seal with fish in side. Less water movement.

More
04 Aug 2014 11:05 #9 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic Moving a tank
Fish are alot tougher than you think, your fish are all tank breed and well able to adjust to different conditions. Id go with you original plan, move all fish in the 30l container and put the firler in there too. Move the tank emptied to the substrate. Refill the tank and use bactefia in a bottle for filter maintenance, add your fish, old filter and 30l of old water.

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds