Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

schooling tetras

More
19 Aug 2014 00:13 - 19 Aug 2014 00:14 #1 by swai (Simon)
Hi all,

Just need some advice on schooling tetras. I was planning on getting 30 black ember tetra, 30 cardinal tetra and 30 rummy nose tetra for my big tank.

Would these keep to there schools or am I better off picking one type to see them act naturally. Would the 3 different types keep together or will it just be a free for all with all them all over the place.

Just want to confirm before I make a purchase.

Cheers!

Marino, Dublin 9
Last edit: 19 Aug 2014 00:14 by swai (Simon).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2014 06:35 #2 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic schooling tetras
Tetras tend to school best when there is a perceived threat in the tank, ie. a bigger fish.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
19 Aug 2014 12:25 #3 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
I think 90 of the one tetra would look class

Eric

More
19 Aug 2014 16:21 #4 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic schooling tetras
what just pops into my head is 90 cardinals and around 10 boseman rainbows to keep them alert and that combo would be a colour explosion, and if ur tank is big enuf id think it would work out

More
19 Aug 2014 16:32 - 19 Aug 2014 16:37 #5 by swai (Simon)
Replied by swai (Simon) on topic schooling tetras
Cheers for the input guys! Very hard to choose just one species of tetra. I would like cardinals but a lot of people keep them, same with rummy nose. I really like black emperor tetras as they aren't seen in tanks much! I also already have 30 emperor tetra ordered.

Decisions will have to be made! It's a 460 liter they will be going into.

Marino, Dublin 9
Last edit: 19 Aug 2014 16:37 by swai (Simon).

More
19 Aug 2014 17:33 - 19 Aug 2014 17:34 #6 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
I have about 50 tetras, Green neons, neon tetras, and cardinal tetras in my 750

All school together but after a few days they stop unless you scare them a bit.

But it is amazing when they do it randomly on there own.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2014 17:34 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh).

More
19 Aug 2014 17:34 #7 by Homer (Kevin)
Cardinals and Rummies, overdone! Beautiful fish but always the first on lists suggested for schools, Nannostomus eques, commonly known as hockey stick pencils have a very unique appearance in a larg tank as do Congo tetras with the beautiful Male fin age and lustrous scales, they live a long time and are always active or how about buenos aires tetras or lemon tetras, beautiful in large numbers and here's my No.1 choice.... Green Fire Tetra,
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Kev.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
19 Aug 2014 17:55 - 19 Aug 2014 17:56 #8 by swai (Simon)
There pretty nice kev, never saw them before. I was also contemplating Congo tetras.

It was the wife who wanted rummy nose and cardinals so I might just have to say no as its my tank!!

I could also move school of ember tetra into main tank to contrast the black emperor tetra.

This is proving harder then I first thought!

Marino, Dublin 9
Last edit: 19 Aug 2014 17:56 by swai (Simon).

More
19 Aug 2014 18:03 #9 by Homer (Kevin)
So many fishies!!!

People really need to keep their Fish until they reach their adult size, some mature into amazing creatures, Kitty tetras with the beautiful shape and the males with their gorgeous dorsals, the coulours of Buenos aires etc, research, Maxi Zoo in Finglas had some nice mature tetras left in by a customer, don't rush it.

Kev.

More
19 Aug 2014 18:21 #10 by swai (Simon)
Yeah I get ya, I've been researching ages and I ordered the black emperors as I really liked them and they were different .

I'll pop up to maxi zoo tomorrow and get some ideas from them. I don't want to get a school then it doesn't work out or doesn't look good!

Marino, Dublin 9

More
20 Aug 2014 11:13 #11 by joemc (joe mc)
Replied by joemc (joe mc) on topic schooling tetras
emperor tetras are not a shoaling species, they may shoal when young and in a shop tank, but once they mature they will behave totally different, males chasing females around the tank and males sparing, flaring and chasing other males, but no shoaling

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
20 Aug 2014 11:25 - 20 Aug 2014 11:40 #12 by swai (Simon)
Cheers for the info Joemc, I thought they were a schooling fish! Ah well I ordered them anyway as I wanted a different looking fish and I really liked the blue and green eyes they have.

Is there any shoaling fish you recommend? Something a bit different?

Marino, Dublin 9
Last edit: 20 Aug 2014 11:40 by swai (Simon).

More
20 Aug 2014 14:31 #13 by dshamrock2000 (Dave)
My Diamond Tetra Shoal the best, They'd be the biggest fish in the tank and may be more of a predatory shoal than protective, I've noticed less guppies fry. I'd say they would be together 95% of the time, they'd break out at once and return together, must try get a vid

More
20 Aug 2014 14:36 #14 by swai (Simon)
Yes a vid would be sweet!

Marino, Dublin 9

More
20 Aug 2014 14:50 #15 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

My Diamond Tetra Shoal the best, They'd be the biggest fish in the tank and may be more of a predatory shoal than protective, I've noticed less guppies fry. I'd say they would be together 95% of the time, they'd break out at once and return together, must try get a vid

I find my diamonds shoal well too, even though their tank is pretty small. And the males seem to enjoy showing off just how damn hot they are! Stunning fish once they're allowed to mature.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
22 Aug 2014 05:44 #16 by joemc (joe mc)
Replied by joemc (joe mc) on topic schooling tetras
hi Swai, some of the fish that I keep at the moment in my tanks that are good shoalers are
lemon tetras
glowlite tetras
black neons
Alestes longipinnus
African red eye tetra (Arnoldichthys spilopterus )
eques pencilfish
pygmy cories
ottos
I have others (fry and juvies) that are shoaling, but once they start to mature those behaviours will disappear

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
23 Aug 2014 21:12 #17 by murph (Tony Murphy)
Emerald-eye rasboras stick together like glue. Very active all the time and don't need a predator to get them to behave.
As a bonus, pygmy corys will shoal with them, sometimes.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds