Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Stressed Guppies

More
23 Aug 2014 17:15 #1 by Finn (keelan)
So today it had been 2 weeks and i have a 30 gallon tank with 4 guppies (fully cycled) the guppies had been in there for 2 weeks. Today i picked up Some fish from my LFS. 2 dwarf gouramis and 2 mollies. When i got them home and into the tank i noticed one of the mollies was highly agressive and was bullying everyone so i returned him to the petshop. Now i have 1 mollie, 2 dwarf gouramis and 4 guppies but my problem is that the guppies are stressed and are hanging out near the top when they used to go all around the tank :/ Any ideas how to resolve this or why this is happening?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2014 22:10 #2 by dshamrock2000 (Dave)
I'd get rid of the Gouramis and Mollie, I have Guppies, Shrimp, Neon & Diamond Tetra and a few different corys and they are fairly balanced in the tank, The diamond tetra would be the population control as guppies breed quite regular, when starting out id go 3 Female guppies to one Male ratio, The males will continually harass the females so the more you have of the females it means they get rest. The Shrimp eat any algae and waste food as do the corys and the neon tetra's add some more colour, It really depends what your trying to achieve with your aquarium?

More
25 Aug 2014 09:38 #3 by paulv (paul vickers)
Im taking it the guppies are young?. Then its intrduction and removal of fish that has them stressed. They will settle soon again. Male guppies despite their cute looks can be very aggressive, and will chase females almost to the point of death. They also dont mix well with mollies and swordtails.

More
03 Feb 2015 06:50 #4 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Is there good air in the tank as gupies will stay on the top for this reason also ?
If not i would chnage the Molly as they dont get on well with guppies in my experience. I have had Dwarf gouramis with Guppoes without any prblems though.

More
03 Feb 2015 19:45 #5 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Is it 30 gallons or 30 litres ?
Its possible your oxygen levels are low and that is why the guppies are hanging at the surface ?

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds