Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Fish swimming near surface. Why?

More
11 Oct 2014 12:35 #1 by padraigr (Padraig Rooney)
Hi not really a problem but just wondering why my malawis are mostly swimming near the surface & not using the rest of the tank. I also have 3 catfish with no issues as they continue to use the bottom so not a lack of oxygen. Anyone any ideas on what i need to do to encougae them away from the surface.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2014 12:58 #2 by JohnH (John)
Possibly a bit of a simplistic answer but are you feeding floating/slow sinking foods?

It might just be that they're close to the surface to get the largest share of the grub. Have you tried watching them from a point where they cannot see you to see are they still near the surface then.

What I'm suggesting is that they might only be near the surface when somebody's close to the tank. I have found that most Cichlids (and others) do this - as soon as they see me they're hovering close to the feeding point, but if they aren't able to see me they're acting more normally.

If this does happen to be the reason you might try fast sinking pellets to get them accepting that food can be found on the 'ground'.

Just a thought.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
11 Oct 2014 13:13 #3 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
My guess is could be female, they stay at top out of harms way.All malawi have there own little space so
it might just be a case of territorial area, i have a big male peacock that always at top back corner of the tank.
Can you tell us more about the cichlid and maybe a photo there might be other things wrong,
and maybe we be able to help by looking at the photo.

Something fishie going on here

More
17 Oct 2014 14:17 #4 by lenny (Sean is playing poker!)
Yep my Malawi do always be a swimming, and jumping out of the water when I am close to the tank, if i walk to the right or left they follow like dogs! Makes me wonder am I feeding them enough.. They're always hungry

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds