Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Proof of life :)

More
07 Jan 2015 10:55 #1 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
So got a pair of BNs from Joemc back in December, thanks Joe

Here is a pic as today is the first time I have got more than a fleeting glance

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2015 13:34 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Proof of life :)
I'll never forget (many years back now) the first time Ancistrus spawned in a tank of mine
I had never seen them (Ancistrus) before and bought the pair (quite expensive - as I recall then), brought them home and - like yourself - I hardly saw them.
Months later I needed some rocks for a different tank and decided to 'borrow' some from the tank the Ancistrus were in.
As I started to remove some of the rocks I spotted a whole assortment of different-sized youngsters. To say I was delighted was a bit of an understatement - I had never heard of them being bred up until then! However, it transpired that they were actually being bred commercially by that time but it didn't diminish my pleasure at having found 'my' first young Bristle-noses.
Watch out for signs of fry in amongst the 'furniture' - hopefully you'll soon get as pleasant a surprise as I had in the past.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
07 Jan 2015 14:40 #3 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Thx John, Joe kindly also provided me one of his bamboo caves so we will see how it goes. I have no idea what I will do with fry if they do arrive/survive but cross that bridge...

More
07 Jan 2015 15:58 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I had a male bristlenose for about 6 years. He lived in one particular piece of bogwood I had; no matter what tank I wanted to put him in, the wood had to go too, and vice versa. The only time I ever saw him was when I turned on the light and he made a mad dash for the safety of the log!

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
07 Jan 2015 17:47 #5 by joemc (joe mc)
Replied by joemc (joe mc) on topic Proof of life :)
glad they have settled in well for you Declan, one or two 20-25% cold water changes will have the male in the cave fanning eggs within a week.
the clutch he left behind all hatched and are swimming away here in the sump of my big tank.

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
07 Jan 2015 18:31 #6 by baan (Fintan Breen)
and good luck catching the babies!!

I brought 37 to my LFS last week... and I reckon there's another 25-30 in the tank!

More
07 Jan 2015 18:54 #7 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Theres a fairly simple way of catching bn fry

Put in a smallish plastic tub with a piece of cucumber inside! (Hole in the top odviously)

Give them half hour or so and then stick your finger in the hole (block the exit) lift out the tub!!!

Caught about 120 of them within 20mins that way about 4 months ago

More
07 Jan 2015 20:06 #8 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
@Joe
Thx, will not heat my next few water changes then and see what happens

@Hammie
Thx for the tip, will come in handy if babies arrive

More
08 Jan 2015 13:35 #9 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Cave being investigated

Attachments:

More
14 Jan 2015 21:00 #10 by mickmanten (Michael McGettigan)
love bristlenose plecs, i've had a female now for at least six years, never see her just know she's there from the chucks taken out of her food.
Word of warning if you have moss in your tanks & like me you use thread to tie it down be careful with your plec.
I had to catch mine when doing a tank change over, when out of the water i noticed the thread had wrapped around her tail and had dug in deep.
It looked painful as hell but removed safely and all is well.
I'd love to add a male but i don't want to be over run with babies been there with swordtails.
I don't use thread anymore.

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds