Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Molly

More
19 Jan 2015 10:01 #1 by nettyd (annette dunne)
Molly was created by nettyd (annette dunne)
Hi thanks for adding me. I have a question. Every time I add a male Molly to the tank it ends up dead in the morning, any ideas who the culprit would be?
I have 2 female mollies guppies tetra etc all quite fish. Would it be the femals mollies for some reason?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2015 20:22 #2 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Replied by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold) on topic Molly
Unusual considering the tank mate do you know you water parameters and how do you add him to the tank

More
19 Jan 2015 20:48 #3 by nettyd (annette dunne)
Replied by nettyd (annette dunne) on topic Molly
Water is perfect, I introduce slowly in a bag add water etc all the others I got were fine this is the 3rd male guppy though

More
19 Jan 2015 20:53 #4 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Molly
Just to clarify thingss - you said Male Molly at first - but now you say Guppy, which are we talking about please?
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
19 Jan 2015 21:56 #5 by nettyd (annette dunne)
Sorry I meant molly

More
19 Jan 2015 22:58 #6 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Still makes no sense give it one more try and if that fails then something is wrong somewhere can you see any bullying taken PLACE?

More
20 Jan 2015 08:17 #7 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic Molly
Sorry to be pernickity, when you say water is perfect.... what readings are you getting on what test kit? Ive tested several different kits! 1 tank 3 different test kits 3 different sets of results! Jbl test kit and api master k8t results very close! Dippy stick test kits way off and imo not anyway accurate

More
20 Jan 2015 09:00 #8 by nettyd (annette dunne)
Hi I brought the water over to be tested in my LFS before I brought new fish home.and no never seen any bullying
Lol it's a mystery

More
20 Jan 2015 10:23 #9 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
If I was you I'd have another try considering your water is good and no bullying was witnessed could be back luck and the fish was already doomed let us know how it goes

More
20 Jan 2015 10:43 #10 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Molly

Hi I brought the water over to be tested in my LFS before I brought new fish home.and no never seen any bullying
Lol it's a mystery

I wonder if just perhaps you might think about trying a different shop. If all your existing fish are thriving it is unlikely to be a water problem - unless the water in the shop is drastically different to that in your tank.
Mollies do prefer a slightly warmer temperature than many other tropicals and also can benefit from a slightly salty water environment but if you already have other Mollies thriving in your tank anyway perhaps this might not be significant.
Haave you checked your water temperature? - I know this sounds very elementary, but it's something which does, on occasion, get overlooked (I've been guilty of this myself).
Have you noticed anything untoward about the newcomers after first being introduced? How are the existing fish reacting to them before their demise?
Also, but this is very relevant - are you following 'normal' introduction processes? (ie, fully acclimatising the new fish to their new water by omething like the 'dripping' method?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds