Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Angelfish query

More
02 Mar 2015 14:59 - 02 Mar 2015 15:15 #1 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Quick query lads on freshwater angelfish.Ive two angelfish probably about 6 months old or so. Rio Nanay angels. There is only two angelfish in the tank (shouldnt be any other fish in the tank that would cause them any issues).The two angels always hang out together but past few days ive noticed some aggression towards one another from them.However they do swim together again then after a while. Some of the angelfishs fins are torn and there is some nips on the body..nothing bad but certainly a few nips and bites have occured. Im wondering is this part of breeding or is it just dominance?

Gavin
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Mar 2015 15:15 by JohnH (John). Reason: Rotated image

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2015 15:29 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Angelfish query
Nice Angels Gavin.
I also have two Angels which display very similar tendencies - they, too, are in their own tank and are perfectly fine with one another - until any food goes into the tank, then all hell breaks loose!
I fondly believe mine to be a pair as - feeding time excepted - they show all the right behaviour, but have still never spawned.
I have been entertaining the idea of introducing some smaller Angels in the hope that my 'pair' might bond and take out the aggression they show to one another on the smaller ones instead. I'm telling you this as it might be worth you trying it too, if faced with continued aggression.
Unfortunately this seems to be a trait which Angels - especially Wilds, or those only one or two steps away from Wilds - seem to display.
Having said that I once had a pair of Wild Angels which behaved perfectly towards one another, almost from day one - so it really is a case of 'no two pairs of fish behaving alike'.
I do hope yours prove to be a pair, they're fine specimens.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
02 Mar 2015 18:18 #3 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Thanks John,i think the introduction of other angels would probably truly pair them off if they are indeed a pair however id prefer to keep them as the only two angels in the tank until then if I can.They have never caused any issue to one another until yesterday when i introduced some mord congo tetras whom to be fair never bother the angels abit.
I will keep an eye on them,funnily enough often the paired off angels ive seem do show marks and a few cuts from the likely sparring behaviour that can occur during spawning or pairing off.
Would be keen to know what others think also.It's my first time trying angels properly and they have really added to the tank.

Thanks Gavin

More
02 Mar 2015 18:27 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
.....they are superb looking fish.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
03 Mar 2015 09:51 #5 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
thanks Ian,have you experienced any fighting like this amongst Angels ?
One of them was hiding alot last night from the other.funnily enough the smaller one of the two seems to be the aggressor.
Gavin

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds