Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Guppy Loss

More
06 Jul 2015 22:00 #1 by MTWarield310i (Teadoir Warfield)
I recently purchased 2 female and 2 male guppies from my LFS on friday after cycling a 55litre for more than 2 months with some plants too,
After testing the water chemistry regularly the nitrites and nitrates have leveled out over the previous weeks, however,
This morning when I woke up one of the nicely coloured males was dead very dissapointed as it was less than 3 days,
So I checked the water, the pH was a little basic so I carried out a small water change to bring it back down other than that all good chemistry wise.

Its my first time keeping guppies and so far the females have been quite aggressive towards the males, I was thinking maybe the males were weaker then the females as there bred just for colouration. Anyway it was a stunt to the beginning of getting back in to a long loved hobby,
Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2015 10:47 #2 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic Guppy Loss
Do you mind me asking how your testing your water?
It could be a multitude of different scenarios to be honest

I have lost 30 guppies in a 2 week period (some time ago) in a tank that was setup well over a year!! (they were newly added)
all other fish were healthy and strong, but it was down to them just being weak strain i think

How do you aclimate your fish? I used to float in a bag then transfer water etc over a period of time.......
Now instead i only use the drip method of acclimation and loose less fish

Maybe others would have more input?

More
07 Jul 2015 15:32 #3 by MTWarield310i (Teadoir Warfield)
Not at all that's what the forum's for :)
Im currently using NT Labs Aquarium testing kit its very similiar to the API test kit,but half the price I'd recommend it, as its all inclusive.

Thats a nightmare they really do seem to be bred without resilence in mind which is a shame.
But Im gonna try work on that :P

I used the floating bag technique for a pretty long while well over 2 hours and my lfs used a lil stress zyme too.
I will use the drip technique in future thank you for the suggestion.

More
07 Jul 2015 20:41 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic Guppy Loss
Unfortunately anyone who finds babies in their tank these days seems to be under the illusion that makes them a breeder and without proper knowledge about nutrition proper water parameters etc strains seem to get weaker and weaker
Yours is a test kit I am unfamilure with, I've been using an Api master kit for some Time now but actually plan on switching to the jbl test kit once I'm replacing the Api

I've recently acclimated guppies from the same water into 2 separate tanks using the drip method in the last few weeks both with completely different parameters tank 1: ph 6.3 ammonia 0 nitrite 5ppm nitrate 5ppm tank 2: ph 7.5 all other levels 0 (daily waterchanges) and no issues in either tanks other than they are all pregnant (common issue with guppies haha)

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds