Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Angelfish Tank Query

More
07 Jul 2015 09:58 #1 by doreilly (Donal O Reilly)
Hi All,

I was wondering what is the minimum size tank (I don't have a huge amount of space available) recommended for keeping 3 to 4 Angelfish?

Also do any members on here have any nice Angelfish similar to wild caught/peruvian/silver angelfish ie: nice long body/fins?

Cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2015 10:09 #2 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Honestly I wouldnt put Angel fish in less than a 120 liter tank for 2 fish
Remember that fully grown Angels can get up to between 8 and 10 inches each
As Angel fish are also part of the Ciclid family they can be fairly agressive if they pair off and start breeding!

Realistically for 4 Angels I personally would be looking at about 250 liter tank

They are very graceful looking fish and always seem to have a very calming effect on a room when they glide around a tank

Best of luck with your new adventure

More
07 Jul 2015 10:23 #3 by trent (trent)
Replied by trent (trent) on topic Angelfish Tank Query
if your down by arklow/gorey my friend has some that look similar to red backs when fully grown and fed proper food.

not to be contradicting but i had 10 fully grown ones in a 140ltr but there was sometimes broken lips from fighting but besiides that i didnt have much problem but were only in tank for few months

More
07 Jul 2015 12:28 #4 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Sorry Trent, but isn't saying 'I kept 10 in a 140ltr' like saying 'I kept 4 goldfish in a goldfish bowl that had no filter etc and they all did okay?'

What the question should be, what size tank will be the best for the health of 4 angelfish? After all the fish should come first, we have taken them from their natural surroundings. Isn't it fair that we reproduce this the best we can?
And so in that regard Hammie is right, 120 litres for 2 or 250 litres for 4 would be lovely for them to live in happily.
Hope you find your Angels.

More
07 Jul 2015 13:00 #5 by trent (trent)
Replied by trent (trent) on topic Angelfish Tank Query
yes your right, they will have bettr growth rate in a bigger tank too

More
07 Jul 2015 21:42 #6 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
I think a taller rather than longer tank also

More
08 Jul 2015 11:49 #7 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I leave my tanks understocked as a general rule. I think the decision should be how much space your can give your fish, not how many can I for in the tank. Understocking is the first tip I'd give to any newbie

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
09 Jul 2015 15:08 - 09 Jul 2015 15:09 #8 by doreilly (Donal O Reilly)
Thanks for all the replies :)

Here is something I would love to aim for in the near future:

Last edit: 09 Jul 2015 15:09 by doreilly (Donal O Reilly).

More
09 Jul 2015 15:22 - 09 Jul 2015 15:30 #9 by doreilly (Donal O Reilly)
And my old tank which I miss very much! :-(( ...I'll be back :cool:

Last edit: 09 Jul 2015 15:30 by doreilly (Donal O Reilly).

More
13 Jul 2015 11:33 #10 by paulv (paul vickers)

I think a taller rather than longer tank also

+1 on that. From what I read angels need tall tank to allow their fins to grow.

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds