Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New clown loaches

More
08 Jul 2015 13:14 #1 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
Hi guys
I have 2 reasonable sized clown loach in my 500 litre tank, I have read that the are a 'social' fish and prefer to live in a groups, I have purchase 6 more smaller fish from Sea horse but when i got them home to acclimate them in the bag I realised how small they are 1 ~1.5" approx, and that the larger fish (jack Dempsey & Oscars ) were looking at them as food so did not release them in tank, instead released them into my 180 litre that only has a bristle nose and a 2 musk turtle at present.
My question is how long will it take for these to reach 4~5" so they can join the other 2 in the 500 tank ?
Also will they or the other 2 more mature loach prey and eat all snails even more mature snails ?

my 500 litre at present contains

1 Jack dempsey 3yr old
2 oscars 6month old
1 flying fox about 7 yr old (smaller breed only approx 6~7"
1 large pleco
1 yoyo loach
1 'leopard' loach
2 clown loach
4 convicts

if I add in 6 more clown loach would that be max for the tank ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2015 14:38 #2 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic New clown loaches
Clowns are very slow growers and get bigger bulkwise quicker than lengthwise.
Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
08 Jul 2015 21:13 #3 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
Replied by Jim (Jim Lawlor) on topic New clown loaches
I have 2 clown laoaches (about 4 ins) - you can have for free if you're near Dublin.

More
09 Jul 2015 12:43 #4 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
Hi Jim,
thanks for the generous offer but i wont be in Dublin till the end of the month, would love some large loach's but wont have the time to trek from Galway to Dublin and back, thanks again for the offer though
regards
Aido

More
13 Jul 2015 11:27 #5 by paulv (paul vickers)
Aido, the 2 clown loaches you got from me were over 2inches when I got them. That's 5 years ago. They grow very slowly and live very long Time, eventually reaching over 10 inches. You were right not to let the small clowns into the tank they would be a snack for the oscars.Try to get clowns the same size as mine , up to 6 in a group and watch them interact. They even sleep in a group like piglets. Wonderful fish to own. Maybe seahorse will take the small clowns back as I know they are not cheap fish.

More
14 Jul 2015 10:34 #6 by Aido Cornally (Aidan cornally)
Thanks Paul,
I didn't realise how slow growing they are, did price larger ones but at a hefty price I opted for small ones, will keep these in my 180 tank anyway they are cool to watch, and might opt for larger ones for big tank when I get some cash together

More
14 Jul 2015 18:33 #7 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)

I have 2 clown laoaches (about 4 ins) - you can have for free if you're near Dublin.

I would take them if still on offer. Send you PM

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds